LIFES GAMBLE-DON'T BET ON IT!

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Took a chance and paid the one day rental for a new movie at the video store on 'Life Gamble'.

The dice came up snake eyes and said ; "This is no classic".

The best parts of the movie was the endings where we saw some brilliant but brief fighting.

I was totally bored by this and can not recommend it..

2.5 *'s is ALL I can give it.

Better luck next time I rent.

GD Y-Y

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Morgoth Bauglir

I prefer the English dubs on many Shaws. So now you are out voted 3 to 1 Mark. Doesn't seem like a fact to me;)

Life Gamble was ok. There's been a few threads on this movie. I'm too lazy to look them up:p

No Shaw Bros film is better with an English dub. Fact.

Kind of partial to the dub version of KWTGA - but otherwise, yeah I agree.

Guest Markgway
I prefer the English dubs on many Shaws. So now you are out voted 3 to 1 Mark. Doesn't seem like a fact to me;)

I could be outvoted 10,000 to 1 and guess what I'm still right. Fact. XD

Sentswordsman

Fact! Whether people prefer dubs or subs doesn't really matter. If a title is released in an English speaking country, then that title should have a dub track if available. Fact!

I liked it without the dub and I like dubs.

Enjoyed it more then House of Traps and Flag of Iron as far

as something venoms involved.

Loved all the backstabbing and double crosses enough to not

notice the lack of wall-to-wall fights.

Wang Lung Wei more or less steals the show despite all the

shaw stars in this.

I'd give it 3.5/5 stars.

I was watching this movie one day and a friend came over. We were waiting for another friend to get ready so we could leave and in the mean time he starting watching it too and in 10 minutes he was sleep. I still liked it though. I think it's classic because it has a "before they were stars" feel to it. But, I looked to see when it came out and wherever wherever said 1979. It doesn't seem polished enough to be 79... is 76 more like it? And the only thing I liked about the dub is when Wu Ho (Bruce Tong) laughs because of his "iron skin."

masterofoneinchpunch
all--shaw bros movies are better with the dubs. the original dubs that is.

I tend to prefer movies with the original language regardless of origin. I know most were shot without sync sound, but I still prefer listening to the Mandarin or Cantonese language (with good subs of course :)).

I never quite got interested in the English dubs (though have heard hundreds of them because at the time of watching nothing else was available). It always seems more of a nostalgia reason for enjoying them than artistic aesthetics.

I never quite got interested in the English dubs (though have heard hundreds of them because at the time of watching nothing else was available). It always seems more of a nostalgia reason for enjoying them than artistic aesthetics.

I can understand that, but I wouldn't necessarily agree. Sometimes I just find the original audio track dull and the English track to have more life to it. Then again I prefer Cantonese to Mandarin, even though I love Cheng Cheh. The language just sounds more alive to me, plus I love its cadence.

Still I'm a dub whore for life from Godzilla to Gangsters, to Italian Zombies (though with that its more that English was the intended language), so maybe it is all nostalgic. I do make exceptions if I like the actor and he's dubbing his voice or if the dub is so bargain basement (Fortune Star Redubs anyone), or if its Turkish, because that language is awesome and super manly! Cuyent Arkin FTW! It's funny as a kid I used to (around 16 abhor dubs and go for subs, but that was also due to editing), but now I tend to like dubs. Then again it may be with always having smaller TVs and subs hurting my eyes (the new TV doesn't suffer from that since its 40inches and 1080p as opposed to 19 lol. I mean first time I saw Hard Boiled it was dubbed and I loved it (even if its not from the old school shaws team), so maybe it is nostalgia.

It would have been neat to see that dub team (first or second) dub some Ultraman (not that the US dub by Titra wasn't great), but it would have been cool as hell.

Killer Meteor
I tend to prefer movies with the original language regardless of origin. I know most were shot without sync sound, but I still prefer listening to the Mandarin or Cantonese language (with good subs of course :)).

I normally prefer original language but the exception does tend to be the shaws stuff, which suffer from very flat lifeless dubbing for the Chinese versions. Even so, I only really like the one English dubbing team who worked with Shaws on most of their 70s products - you know, Heroes Two, Five Venoms, Two Champions. The rest make my ears bleed

MarkGway, I agree with you. what's better than the original language?

Although I do like the old-school dubs on these films. I still like to watch these films in original Cantonese language or Mandarin. XD

FACT!

I suspend belief enough watching kung fu flicks, but within logic, however demented that logic may be in some cases. Suspending it enough to deal with English voices coming out of period Chinese characters is a stretch too far for me. One of the only things that stretches too far for me, this type of cinema, I love all the other crazinesses. They're fantastic, but not that fantastic.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Dubs are for lazy people who can't read and watch the movie at the same time... I have to much respect for those movies to watch them with a corny dub and think it is funny to hear bad actors trying their best to sound stupid so people will find it funny because it's cheesy. Subs are the only way. Dubs are stupid. You don't want to be stupid, do you? XD

ironfistedmonk

Hopefully not descending into another dubs vs subs argument, original language with good subtitles is obviously the best way to watch any film, but thats not to dismiss the dubs which I quite like. Dubs are great when you are watching a crappy full screen film with burnt in subs disappearing off the screen, how I wish TKAM was dubbed. All those impossibly complicated Taiwanese swordplay films with almost nonsensical plots you have no chance of understanding because of the terrible subs, I pray for a dub lol

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Dubs are cool too, when they work. Sometimes I like them better. really though, it's only when the translation for the subs really sucks that I prefer the dubs, if they work, but still then original language is more realistic obviously. I hate lame translations, dubs or subs.

Just watched this R1 release and I have to say I'm somewhat disappointed with the audio. The high frequencies are slightly distorted like in Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman. Terrible audio in that film. It's not as bad in Life Gamble. The interviews are great. Ku Feng what a testament to greatness. The Lo Mang interview was cool too, though he is a little arrogant about himself in film. He's one of his 'favorite' actors to watch, literally. Lee Yi Min was cool too and seemed a bit conceited as well. It is a shame these releases are becoming more difficult to purchase when they do come out. They're not in any stores I'm aware of with the exception of the Image releases. Also, these releases should certaintly have the english dubs as an option. Shoalin Intruders as well as Bells Of Death have an excellent english dub and the R1 releases are certaintly less worth the purchase as a result. This is one department that Pan Media delivered because the sad truth is that many of these films may never be released with the english dub tracks. The lack of appreciation afforded these films by region 1 companies is a major let down for many fans over here.

Killer Meteor

"The high frequencies are slightly distorted like in Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman. Terrible audio in that film"

Ironically, the UK DVD looks a million times worse (its so dark you can't seen anything) but sounds a million times better than the Animego dvd! Too much compressions affects quite a few Shaws remasters

Archived