What's the Difference Between Drunken Master and Snake in Eagle's Shadow?

GoldenFist

SITES used to be my favorite Jackie Chan film until I saw Police Story, so I prefer it over DM. But I still love DM(The part where Jackie starts acting like Miss Ho always cracks me up). 

• Like 2

I think SITES is better thought-out than DM.

-SITES has the better story overall (maybe influenced by Star Wars? -Empire/Eagle Claw-Mandschus hunting Rebels. The strongest of them lives like a hermit so he doesn't get found. Eventually he finds a young guy with heart whom he teaches the force/a secret fight technique). DM has practically no story besides Jackie not wanting to go training with Beggar So and when he has no other choice he gets tortured in his training sessions. This scenes are spiced up with comedy. Only in the last 10 minutes they threw the story in about Jackies father not wanting to sell a piece of land, so the master from the other school hires Hwang to kill Wong and Jackie stops him at the end.

-The best Martial Artist in both movies is Hwang Jang Lee and he gets to shine more in DM, because they allowed him to use more leg techniques. But both movies don't have anything to do with real fighting. All fight scenes are under the umbrella of entertainment. Both deliver.

- The soundtrack is borrowed from different sources in both movies, but the Soundtrack in SITES is much more memorable ( i am talking about the original hk-soundtrack).

- SITES acting is not as over the top as in DM. It seems like Jackie thought at that time "Oh they liked my comedic acting, so I will give them more of it."

- The relationship between Jackie and his master in SITES has indeed more "heart".

- The HK locations are cool in both movies but more colourful in SITES than in DM.

- The costumes are cool in both movies, but you can distinguish the characters more by them in SITES: The villians wear classy robes because they are send probably by someone important, Jackie wears simple clothes and the snake fist master, beggar clothes. In chinese opera you can also distinguish characters by what they wear and how they move.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Kwai said:

SITES has the better story overall (maybe influenced by Star Wars? - Empire/Eagle Claw-Manchus hunting Rebels. The strongest of them lives like a hermit so he doesn't get found. Eventually he finds a young guy with heart whom he teaches the force/a secret fight technique).

It's probably not a coincidence that one of the music cues was borrowed from Star Wars.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Kwai said:

I think SITES is better thought-out than DM.

-SITES has the better story overall (maybe influenced by Star Wars? -Empire/Eagle Claw-Mandschus hunting Rebels. The strongest of them lives like a hermit so he doesn't get found. Eventually he finds a young guy with heart whom he teaches the force/a secret fight technique). DM has practically no story besides Jackie not wanting to go training with Beggar So and when he has no other choice he gets tortured in his training sessions. This scenes are spiced up with comedy. Only in the last 10 minutes they threw the story in about Jackies father not wanting to sell a piece of land, so the master from the other school hires Hwang to kill Wong and Jackie stops him at the end.

-The best Martial Artist in both movies is Hwang Jang Lee and he gets to shine more in DM, because they allowed him to use more leg techniques. But both movies don't have anything to do with real fighting. All fight scenes are under the umbrella of entertainment. Both deliver.

- The soundtrack is borrowed from different sources in both movies, but the Soundtrack in SITES is much more memorable ( i am talking about the original hk-soundtrack).

- SITES acting is not as over the top as in DM. It seems like Jackie thought at that time "Oh they liked my comedic acting, so I will give them more of it."

- The relationship between Jackie and his master in SITES has indeed more "heart".

- The HK locations are cool in both movies but more colourful in SITES than in DM.

- The costumes are cool in both movies, but you can distinguish the characters more by them in SITES: The villians wear classy robes because they are send probably by someone important, Jackie wears simple clothes and the snake fist master, beggar clothes. In chinese opera you can also distinguish characters by what they wear and how they move.

SITES is in my opinion the greatest classic Kung Fu movie ever made! Sure there are many Kung fu movies with better fights etc but combining everything into one package, such as plot, memorable characters, soundtrack, actors, costumes, etc. there’s no other movie that even comes close. I’m talking the period of the mid 70s to early 80s. 

Hence why to me it’s the benchmark for classic Kung fu movies.

Heck it even has the greatest English dub of all time too!

Yuen Woo Ping and Ng See Yuen caught magic in a bottle with SITES. Hundreds of movies after SITES tried to recapture that magic. Some came close but they could never better SITES in my opinion. 

• Like 3

ironfistedmonk

Yeah I always rated SITES higher than DM, not by much though, there is a case for it to be considered the greatest kung fu movie of them all, its the film that launched a thousand copy cat movies

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

This showed up in my FB feed:

Screenshot_20240718_104920_Facebook.jpg

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 1