What's the Difference Between Drunken Master and Snake in Eagle's Shadow?

GoldenFist

Hey I was wondering whats the difference between the two? Aren't they the same flick? I know a lot of people told me it's the same movie, can someone shed some light on this? I thought I knew Drunken Master pretty we'll but when I read somewhere online their two different flicks I began to worry. If so where can I see both?

Guest WuxiaFan

Whoever told you DRUNKEN MASTER and SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW are the same films is an idiot. Yes, they are different movies. DRUNKEN MASTER is widely considered in the top 1-3 greatest classic kung fu movies of all time. SNAKE is also a classic, but not even close to DM. I would encourage you to read the review of both films by Mark Pollard on KFC, but in the meantime, here are the plots of both films:

DRUNKEN MASTER:

Under the guidance of Sam Seed (Yuen Siu Tien), Wong Fei Hung (Jackie Chan) endures some of the most torturous training ever devised in a bid to master the devastating art of Drunken Boxing.

SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW:

To save his master from certain death at the hands of dreaded eagle claw master, Chien Fu must combine the lethal art of snake fist with cat's claw (his own invention) and undergo some of the most torturous training ever devised.

If you're trying to figure out which DVD version of either film to buy, check out dvdcompare.net and other threads in this forum.

shaolin drunkard

Fights in both movies are terrific but overall I like Snake thousands times more.I hate characters of Jackie and Simon Yuen in DM.They are arrogant and almost bad:S

• Administrator

I love both of these flicks. Classic JC at his best.

As far as which is better... well they're completely different animals. Seeing him doing snake style and drunken style are both killer, and he fights the awesome Hwang Jang-lee in both.. So you really must see SNAKE!

• Like 1

Morgoth Bauglir
I prefer Snake, i think it has more "heart" in the relationship between student and teacher, but both great films...

I agree. DM just doesn't have the heart like SITES has. But I like the fights in DM more, so I've always considered the movies even. Both are classics that I can watch over and over again.

Guest WuxiaFan
It's just that there are people including me who thing DM is the weaker one of these two. Pretty biased comparison there, WuxiaFan :P

There's no bias, I just like DM better the SITES.

I just saw Snake last night for the first time (I know, I know lol). I agree the teacher/student relationship does have more "heart"...but Drunken Master DEF beats Snake all around for me.

ChineseSausage

I prefer Snake in Eagle's Shadow. It's been a long time since I've seen them. I'll pop the DVD's and watch both of them back to back! :)

I just saw Snake last night for the first time (I know, I know lol). I agree the teacher/student relationship does have more "heart"...but Drunken Master DEF beats Snake all around for me.

What got me about Snake was how Jackie invents the Cat's Paw style in about 30 seconds with a weak montage; it makes the final fight a little bit anti-climactic compared to DM. The poison eagle thing was a bit last minute and the rationale for the rivalry between the Eagle and Snake schools is never really explained.

Also, the Wong Fei Hung theme in DM is the best version of the song out there.

Watched Snake in the Eagle's Shadow again over the weekend with my 4-year old daughter and she absolutely loved it. As for which I think is better, both SNAKE and DM had their flaws, but SNAKE has the more structured storyline, yet I did enjoy DM's finale between Chan and Hwang rather than SNAKE, only because DM had Hwang using more of a traditional TKD style where in SNAKE, he combined his kicking with Eagle Claw.

ShaOW!linDude
What got me about Snake was how Jackie invents the Cat's Paw style in about 30 seconds with a weak montage; it makes the final fight a little bit anti-climactic compared to DM.

That always seemed lame to me. Of all the animal styles to create, why one based on a kitten? I'd have thought more extensive training was required in Snake style to defeat Eagle Claw. Oh well. Shouldn't this then be title SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW OF A CAT'S PAW? Hmm. Doesn't make for a very good acronym.

• Like 1

Shouldn't this then be title SNAKE IN THE EAGLE'S SHADOW OF A CAT'S PAW? Hmm. Doesn't make for a very good acronym.
When I first saw SITES in the theater back in the 70's (or early 80's- can't remember) it was re-titles "Eagle's Claw, Snake Fist, Cat's Paw".
  • Like 1

wigsplitta

I love them both to an equal amount. Snake in the Eagle's Shadow was one of the first Kung fu films that I ever watched and the theme tune is still rattling around my head even though I haven't watched it in 15+ years!

Think it must've been the MIHK trailer that has distilled it into my brain! :tongue:

edit;

And here's the trailer that i've seen SOOOO many times!

QNZMHe8EIFk

The Snake Bites! :xd:

• Like 1

ShaOW!linDude
When I first saw SITES in the theater back in the 70's (or early 80's- can't remember) it was re-titles "Eagle's Claw, Snake Fist, Cat's Paw".

Heh - heh. And here I was trying to be funny. Well, there you have it.

• Like 1

Both films represent the two main variations of the Seasonal Formula:

1. SITES - Put-upon kid learns martial arts and (sometimes) learns a second style to defeat the villain.

2. DM - Arrogant young martial artist gets into trouble, is defeated by the villain, and learns a second style to defeat the villain.

Examples of #1 - Snake in the Monkey's Shadow; Goose Boxer; Buddha Assassinator

Examples of #2 - The Fearless Hyena; Hell's Wind Staff; The Magnificent Butcher; Daggers 8

Edited by DrNgor
  • Like 4