Best Donnie Yen films?

DeathFuMaster

Guest WuxiaFan
Can anyone help me ID this one movie I saw, they showed a clip of it in the Iron Monkey extra where Donnie was talking and although he was talking about Legend of the Wolf while it was playing I don't think that was it.

He was fighting in some abandon factory or something bare handed with a croc-skin jacket on. I realize that I just described a scene in nearly every Donnie Yen movie but any help would be appreciated.

SR-need more info. Doesn't sound familiar.

I loved Donnie in HERO, although I would not classify that as a Donnie Yen movie. My favorites are IRON MONKEY, SPL, and FLASH POINT.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In addition to Flashpoint and Killzone, The film that first attracted me to his work was Dragon Tiger Gate. I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!!!:D

butcher wing

donnie in his meanest role, Dragon Inn, and a big fan of his first movie Drunken Tai Chi, i just think donnie is awesome in all his movies, whether that movie is good or not he's just awesome.

Heroes Among Heroes(He Plays Begger Su)

Iron Monkey

I love the abilities of Donnie Yen but when he is behind the camera

other than choreography I don't like the product. I have some DVD's of

some tv series that he did and all the undercranking and excessive powder

usage just ruined his performance.

Denny Crane

Iron Monkey for me. The ruck on the flaming poles is pure genius. Tiger Cage 2 i see getting a few mentions, which i remember enjoying years ago. Just got Killzone ten minutes ago on me lunch-looking forward to immensely.

And Satan Returns-i think i had that on VHS but threw it. Didn't really float me boat.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

! was in Boston in the 1980's and would often go to Bo Sim Mark's (Donnie's mom) kung fu studio and would see kids learning kung fu maybe I saw Donnie as a lad then.

His mother is a great master.

I asked her how much for Ba Qua lessons she said $50 bucks an hour. I never took lessons.

Last year I was in China town Boston hoping to see Ms. Mark. She never came to her studio in my time allotted. I met Donnie's father Kysler Yen and showed him some images from my invention. He gave me his blessings. When he saw my invention set in the Washington D.C. street plan he said;" God has blessed America"!

GD Y-Y

In no order:

Drunken Tai Chi

Mismatched Couples

In the Line of Duty 4

Tiger Cage 2

Once Upon a Time in China 2

Iron Monkey

Legend of the Wolf

Ballistic Kiss

SPL

Flash Point

Ip Man

I have not seen all by him but surely love tiger cage2 and ITLOD4..

My favorites are:

In the Line of Duty IV

Tiger Cage 2

Iron Monkey

Crystal Hunt

SPL/Killzone

Chinatown Kid
Heroes Among Heroes(He Plays Begger Su)

Iron Monkey

I love the abilities of Donnie Yen but when he is behind the camera

other than choreography I don't like the product. I have some DVD's of

some tv series that he did and all the undercranking and excessive powder

usage just ruined his performance.

Yeah that DVD I got of Fist of Fury: Sworn to Vengeance was embarrassing the way the fights were speeded up, looked like a Benny Hill skit. And that powder flying all over the place was ridiculous looking.

The movies I think are his best and was most impressed with are Flash Point, SPL, and the Ip Man films. He has took the MMA choreography to another level and is the best at it so far.

Drunken Tai Chi

Mismatched Couples

In The Line Of Duty 4

Tiger Cage 2

Once Upon A Time In China 2

Butterfly & Sword

Iron Monkey

Legend Of The Wolf

SPL

Flash Point

Ip Man 1 & 2

14 Blades

The Lost Bladesman

Wu Xia

Special ID

The Monkey King

Honorable mentions:

Tiger Cage

Dragon Inn

Wing Chun

Ballistic Kiss

Seven Swords

Bodyguards & Assassins

Secret Executioner

I've only seen very few of his films, and all ranked from good to great:

Ip Man (great)

Hero (very good)

Seven Swords (good)

Drunken Tai Chi (good)

Watching Drunken Tai Chi today made me curious about Donnie's movies. I have 14 Blades, Blade II and OUATIC2 on DVD but still haven't seen them. Also, the Kung Fu Box Sets thread mentions 2 Donnie Yen sets:

51hV9Xhw0qL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Asian Cop - High Voltage (1995) [High Voltage] - Widescreen, Mandarin w/NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES (really)

Circus Kids (1994) - Fullscreen, dubbed, good video quality

Satan Returns (1996) - Fullscreen, Cantonese w/English subtitles (burned in), bad video quality

Cinema of Vengeance (1994) - Fullscreen, Documentary

41brt6zveRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Black City (1999) [Dark City]

Holy Virgin Versus the Evil Dead (1991)

Cheetah on Fire (1992)

Heroes Among[st] Heroes (1993)

Are we dealing with good material or stinkers here ?

masterofoneinchpunch
I've only seen very few of his films, and all ranked from good to great:

Ip Man (great)

Hero (very good)

Seven Swords (good)

Drunken Tai Chi (good)

Watching Drunken Tai Chi today made me curious about Donnie's movies. I have 14 Blades, Blade II and OUATIC2 on DVD but still haven't seen them. ...

You have not seen SPL (Kill Zone), Flash Point, or Iron Monkey yet? I personally love Blade II (do not like Blade III) and OUATIC2. There are many more Donnie Yen acted films I like, but I think the ones I mention are a great start.

I tend to stay away from the grey/boot market (those two videoasia box sets) when I can. The Amazon reviews on the second one state it is in piss-poor condition.

Secret Executioner
You have not seen SPL (Kill Zone), Flash Point, or Iron Monkey yet? I personally love Blade II (do not like Blade III) and OUATIC2. There are many more Donnie Yen acted films I like, but I think the ones I mention are a great start.

I tend to stay away from the grey/boot market (those two videoasia box sets) when I can. The Amazon reviews on the second one state it is in piss-poor condition.

Noted the ones you recommended. I think I can get at least one of them easily.

Just checked out the reviews for these, and indeed, they look like lackluster releases...

Noelle Shadow Kick
I personally love Blade II (do not like Blade III) and OUATIC2. There are many more Donnie Yen acted films I like, but I think the ones I mention are a great start.QUOTE]

Blade II is great, a fabulous action movie with cool horror elements (even if some CG dates it). However, it is NOT a Donnie Yen film. He is barely in it, and anyone looking to Blade II for some Donnie Yen goodness is going to be severely disappointed.

Still though, definitely watch Blade II. lol

masterofoneinchpunch

Well no, you should go in thinking it is a Wesley Snipes, Guillermo Del Toro vampire film. Heck I think of it as more of a Del Toro film than anything else. I would be surprised (though possibly because I've seen it several times) of anyone going into it thinking it was a Donnie Yen film. He's in it and its a good film :D.

Asian Cop - High Voltage (1995) [High Voltage] - Widescreen, Mandarin w/NO ENGLISH SUBTITLES (really)

Circus Kids (1994) - Fullscreen, dubbed, good video quality

Satan Returns (1996) - Fullscreen, Cantonese w/English subtitles (burned in), bad video quality

Cinema of Vengeance (1994) - Fullscreen, Documentary

Black City (1999) [Dark City]

Holy Virgin Versus the Evil Dead (1991)

Cheetah on Fire (1992)

Heroes Among[st] Heroes (1993)

Are we dealing with good material or stinkers here ?

Cinema of Vengeance is a good Hong Kong film docu and Heroes Among Heroes is a decent Beggar So film so I'd recommend them. As for the rest, they have bad plots but are compensated by some good action scenes. Holy Virgin Versus Evil Dead (one of Donnie's worst plot-layered films) have slick action scenes from Donnie and so does Cheetah on Fire and City of Darkness (personally don't like it). The other ones have decent action too but I think average action junkies wouldn't care since they are sparse or not up to par with other Donnie films.

ShaOW!linDude

HIGH VOLTAGE isn't too bad. Filmed a little dark in places.

With CIRCUS KIDS you also get a decent dose of Yuen Biao. Definitely worth getting.

I never cared much for Cheetah on Fire or Heroes Among Heroes. I haven't seen Holy Virgin vs. the Evil Dead nor Circus Kids yet. But even in the two films above, his fighting was solid for the most part (although bad lighting spoiled some of the fight scenes in Cheetah on Fire).

Secret Executioner

Thanks for the input everyone. Guess I should rather go after individual releases though, I suppose there must be better - and cheaper - releases for these films - the sets get slammed on amazon.com and the French amazon only has them for rather high prices considering the quality. :squigglemouth:

That. That right there is why I love that movie. That seems like a combo some random internet generator came up with, but it actually happened! Wesley Snipes laying the smackdown on vampires in a Guillermo del Toro film. God bless Marvel Comics and God bless the UNITED STATES!

Archived