Best Donnie Yen films?

DeathFuMaster

DeathFuMaster

I haven't really seen any movies starring him, just movies with him in it.

So I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for me(including newer ones)?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Silver Fox

For newer Donnie Yen movies, you can't go wrong with Kill Zone and Flashpoint. These movies are awsome, full of great, imaginative fighting scenes and good storys as well. These are available fron Dragon Dynasty.

For older stuff, Iron Monkey, Once Upon a Time in China II are both great. There's lots more but these are a good start.

DeathFuMaster

I was planning on checking out the Dragon Dynasty releases of Killzone and Flashpoint, are those good quality?

I have both Once Upon A Time In China II and Iron Monkey, any other good ones that Donnie is the main star?

DeathFuMaster

I will check out Drunken(I assume that's what you meant by Drunked)Tai Chi, any tips on the best DVD with Eng dubs?

Iron Monkey is a true classic. as is Drunken Tai Chi. Modern day action Tiger Cage has some great action. Also Flashpoint is very good and i liked Legend of the Wolf. Once Upon a Time in China 2 also up there with the best but for me Drunken Tai Chi wins hands down for action scenes.

his best work before this current resurgence was always with Yuen Wo Ping

The period classics they did together have already been mentioned: Iron Monkey, Drunken Tai Chi, Wing Chung. There's also Heroes Amongst Heroes, a lesser effort in some respects but not lacking in good action

if you like his modern day 80s homages like SPL and flash point, def check out the originals these derive from: In the Line of Duty 4 and Tiger Cage 2 (much better than tiger cage 1). Both also by Wo Ping

Then there's the period where he ventured out on his own and tried to be some kind of artsy auteur. The result were Legend of the Wolf, Ballistic Kiss and Shanghai Affairs. I have mixed feelings about them and generally they're very divisive amongst genre fans. While the choreography is good, the editing is too frantic and the camera work is too stiff for my taste, and so the action kinda gets lost. Worth a look if you're a fan of his, to make up your own mind at least.

In no order:

Drunken Tai Chi

Mismatched Couples

In the Line of Duty 4

Tiger Cage 2

Once Upon a Time in China 2

Iron Monkey

Legend of the Wolf

Ballistic Kiss

SPL

Flash Point

Ip Man

thundered mantis

His best 9 for me (nor order):

Drunken Tai Chi

In the Line of Duty 4

Tiger Cage 2

Iron Monkey

Legend of the Wolf

SPL

Flash Point

City of Darkness

Fist of Red Dragon

the Tai Seng releases of the tv show Hung Hei Kwun,THe Kung Fu Master and Revenge of the Kung Fu Master,are both quite good.

i remember a Donnie movie where the opening scene has him break dancing for about 5 minutes. It was a horrible movie... just realized my post doesnt help you at all

Hey guys if you want to see his worst flick then find Satan Returns,none of his movies are that bad like this shit.

I'd say either Iron Monkey 2 or Circus Kids.

iron monkey is his best for me , i like all his new stuff but ip man stands head and shoulders above them all , worst has to be iron monkey 2 i hated it.

Mismatched Couples IMO is an underrated Donnie film. It was actually one of those fun films plus with Yuen Woo-Ping in front of the cameras too doing some comic relief, I liked it.

Can anyone help me ID this one movie I saw, they showed a clip of it in the Iron Monkey extra where Donnie was talking and although he was talking about Legend of the Wolf while it was playing I don't think that was it.

He was fighting in some abandon factory or something bare handed with a croc-skin jacket on. I realize that I just described a scene in nearly every Donnie Yen movie but any help would be appreciated.

Archived