Pai Mei character question

Guest m burlock

Guest m burlock

Please pardon me for not being a hardcore martial arts film fan but I have a question. When it comes to the character I know as "Pai Mei" (long white hair part or all of which is done up in a "bun", long white beard and mustash, and large white eyebrows), in which films does he make his most famous appearance's?

Also, in the entire history of martial arts films has a master ever refered to his student as "Grasshopper"? If so, which film is most famous for this?

m_burlock

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Also, in the entire history of martial arts films has a master ever refered to his student as "Grasshopper"? If so, which film is most famous for this?

That's from the American "Kung Fu" TV series (which was also shown in HK), and those references are to the TV series, or a parody of it.

Guest kungfusamurai

The Pai Mei character that is most famous was portrayed in Executioners From Shaolin by Lo Lieh. He reprised the character in Shaolin Abbott, but with mediocre results. He did a similar character as the White Lotus chief, who was the brother of Pai Mei, in the film Clan Of The White Lotus.

The Pai Mei character does show up in other Shaw films, like Shaolin Avengers, Avenging Warriors of Shaolin and the shadow of the character is seen in Men From the Monastery, but they don't have the same effect as Lo Lieh's portrayal in EFS.

If I made any mistakes above (movie references) please feel free to correct them. :)

KFS

Guest killer meteor

In Kill Bill Vol2, Bill tells a tale of when Pai Mei met a monk, and the monk's lack of respect to Pai Mei resulted in a massacre of Shaolin. Has this tale been depicted in any films or is it an invention of QT?

Pak Mei also turns up in the classic Taiwanese movie Ninja Hunter/Wu-Tang Vs Ninja as Abbot White played by Jack Long, with his brother Mark Long as Hung Hei Goon/Officer Hung. This is the TRUE story...with ninjas??

Alexander Lo Rei is superb as Officer Hung's son and has to learn Shaolin Finger Jab to find Abbot White's weak point...good fingering work in this movie

Whenn i met Gordon Liu i got him to sign a pic when he played Pai Mei he laughed when he saw it and signed it Pai Mei lol

Whenn i met Gordon Liu i got him to sign a pic when he played Pai Mei he laughed when he saw it and signed it Pai Mei lol

Oh man, that's badass! You have to post that signed pic here! :yociexp102:

Chinatown Kid

Executioners From Shaolin was definately the best film featuring Pai Mei, Lo Lieh played him perfectly as the evil and creepy white hermit. The idea of him being able to move his weakspot around at will made him seem supernatural and freaky....

You know the whole time I watched Kill Bill I wanted Gordon Liu as Pai Mei to fight Sonny Chiba as Hattori Hanzō the whole time.

Archived