IFC Samurai Saturday weekly movie discussion

Tosh

I just figured out I actually have IFC, in Atlanta comcast(the single WORST cable company) never carried it downtown where I lived, the last 2 Saturdays I watched Gates of Hell and last week I watched Kill! for the 10th time:angel: this Saturday is Ronin-Gai, probably not the most exciting movie to get up and watch on a Saturday morning but damn that last 15 minutes is a site to see!

Gates of Hell was a really good older Samurai film I never watched, I swear just when I think I have my finger on the genre they throw something in at the end your not expecting.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

they've been doing this for a looooong time now, it's a great thing despite the fact that their intro card for a long time was a chinese dude doing wushu forms with a broad sword (just a LITTLE culturally inaccurate). My first exposure to a lot of Zatoichi movies came from this program, I used to watch it religiously around 2002/2003. Haven't had cable much since then unfortunately, plus the older I get the more stuff they play I already have on dvd.

Ronin-Gai is actually damn good, i've never seen any of the other adaptions from the story but Katsu's version is solid.

I never catch this as its always so damn early, and very rarely a film I don't already own. Occasionally however they air something rare, so its a good idea to keep an eye on the scheduling.

BlackLamaFaction

Sometime in 2011. I actually wrote them about why they had suddenly cut it off, and if they had any plans on bringing it back. I was surprised when they responded within a few hours. They basically said they did not have a large enough catalog of films to make it a regular series for any extended period of time. Plus, I don't know if you've watched networks like IFC and Sundance lately, but they have gone in a completely different direction from what they originally offered. It's kind of sad, it seems like very few networks have been able to withstand the onslaught of reality, sensationalist, ratings over substance based programming.

Archived