Clarifying The Dragon Dies Hard

Guest Squid Lips

Guest Squid Lips

Bruce Li's first starring role in an a Lee exploitation film was apparently The Dragon Dies Hard. The film was released in the U.S. as Bruce Lee Superdragon. But, apparently there is a later film of his, Bruce Lee We Miss You that has also been labeled as SuperDragon.

Betty Ting Pei apparently is in one of those.

I am looking to get copies of both but trying to clarify which is which.

There is a copy of Bruce Lee A Dragon Story from MA Theater, is this either of those versions?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest killer meteor

Bruce Lee A Dragon Story (1974) was Bruce Li's first. It was released in the UK as The Bruce Lee Story and the US as Dragon Dies Hard. I'm not sure if Bruce Lee A Dragon Story is the original English title or whether it originates with the Ocean Shores tape

Bruce Lee: Superstar is the one where Bruce Li fights an old master in speech only. This film was released in the States as Superdragon and is avaliable from Goodtimes as The Young Bruce Lee.

US TV spots for Dragon Dies Hard and Super Dragon can be seen on Something Weird Video's trailer compilations.

Bruce Lee We Miss You is the one where Bruce Li plays "Stone". It's Dragon Dies Hard alias seems to have originated with a video release

Guest Squid Lips

Okay, so seems that A Dragon's Story is Dragon Dies Hard (AKA Bruce Li's first "Lee" outing).

Partly what threw me was looking through Carl Jone's filmography. It listed The Bruce Lee Story (A Dragon Story) 1974 as 1st.

Then, in 1975 we had Superdragon (the True Story Of Bruce Lee) and a third film, The Dragon Dies Hard (AKA Bruce Lee We Miss You). Finally there is The Dragon Lives (He's a Legend, He's A Hero).

I understand the video releases sometimes make these titles even more screwy than they were, but what would be the ORIGINAL release title and then the ORIGINAL U.S. Theatrical release title (later video incarnations not withstanding)?

Netflix has a couple I don't have so will check them out.

Thanks!

Archived