Question About Shaolin Vs Wu Tang

Guest oldeschool17

Guest oldeschool17

Is this a shaw bros film? If not, who released it? Any suggestions on which version to get? Who owns the rights to this? Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Markgway

Not a Shaw Bros production though they did release it in Hong Kong. I've always hoped that Celestial had the rights (but I think that's slim now). It was produced by Lau's Film (Liu Chia Liang's indie company). There are no good versions available AFAIK. I have the subtitled (but hideously cropped) VHS.

Guest GwaiLoMoFo

Deff not a Shaw production, and I havent seen a really decent version either. But its a pretty much crap film except for the first 5 and last 15 min.

Guest Austin Jones

Isn't there a couple of samples Wu Tang Clan used from this film? Seems like I remember that being the case...

Austin Jones

Guest oldeschool17

thanks all for the replies. I havent seen this one yet. Does everybody else share the same sentiment as GwaiLoMoFo? I believe my local vid store has the panmedia version of this.

Guest BKarza

Not a Shaw flick but "is". They used the Shaw studios for everything. They used the studio, external locales, costumes, weapons, casts, etc.

The foley is different a the film stock is just a bit "off". Other than that, it's not a Shaw flick in name only.

Guest Mantis FIST

Mark,

This is listed on the celestial site as a film they are going to release, at least it was a few years back. Plus on some of the ivl dvds, for liu chia hui's filmography there is an * by the movie indicating, according the dvd, that it will be released. I hope this is true. Id love to see a good version.

I thought this movie was a good one. Some of it is slow and kinda lame but overall I thought it was good!

Guest oldeschool17

not that it means anything, but i just checked the supposed "complete shaw bros collection" and this was not listed. oh well. I mean if this is a movie of desire, perhaps this can be added to the next round of petitions

It's a alright movie, definitely isn't up to expectations giving the cast, seemed kind of sloppy really, but worth a rent.

Guest Chen Zhen
Isn't there a couple of samples Wu Tang Clan used from this film? Seems like I remember that being the case...

"the game of chess....is like a swordfight....you must think first, before you move"

"shaolin shadowboxing.....and the wu tang sword...."

"they could be dangerous"

------------------

guess i'll play devil's advocate and say that i love this movie....its always a good thing when both gordon liu and wang lung wei star in the same film.....action is very good, but the plot is very flawed and lots of logic makes u shake ur head. having that sed, its worth watching.

Guest kungfusamurai

In France, there was a DVD release called 'Shaolin Contre Wu Tang' or something to that effect, that was mastered at 2.35:1. The problem is that it's french language only, and the print was done rather dark. If you can over look those two drawbacks, it's probably worth looking for. I don't know which version PanMedia stole from. Probably the old Xenon print, if it's full screen.

KFS

Guest kungfusamurai

Is there software out there that'll fix that? Or does it lead to too much artifacting? It seems a number of the french DVDs are like that. I wonder if it is a problem with their computer monitors? :)

KFS

Guest chopsocky

I've heard that the french version is badly cut. I thought that this was a really good flick, one of it's drawbacks is the quality of the current prints but i think a viewing of a remastered copy would provide better grounds for judgement.

I find it interesting that it was shot on shaw studio, i did not know this was a practice the shaws would normally allow, would i be right in thinking that movies like The Heroes were possibly shot at shaws?

Guest Markgway
Mark, This is listed on the celestial site as a film they are going to release, at least it was a few years back. Plus on some of the ivl dvds, for liu chia hui's filmography there is an * by the movie indicating, according the dvd, that it will be released. I hope this is true. Id love to see a good version.

Me too. I remember liking the film when I saw it, but there's not too much love here it seems. Maybe if and when a decent print comes out that'll change.

Guest lousy

LOL I just asked this over on the Shaw Brothers forum today. Should have stopped here first.

Great minds think alike??

Guest kungfusamurai

Sounds like Toby created the Vengeance version from the same source print as the Xenon DVD. I think Vengeance pretty much was the UK wing of Xenon, or at least the two guys (Tan and Toby) were using the same source material.

Not sure where Tan got his print. Maybe from the Tai Seng VHS tape, and then synched up the English track?

KFS

Archived