Showdown at the Cotton Mill

crazedjustice888

crazedjustice888

I have the Rarescope release of this AMAZING movie. My gf bought it for me, and I haven't stopped loving her since :kiss: My question is, are there any releases for this same movie but with better quality? At least better subtitles? Or even dubbed for that matter? When we tried to watch it, it was really hard for her to see the subtitles. Same here, but I was used to them so it was a little easier on me.

If this is in the wrong thread than I deeply apologize and ask that it be moved immediately.

Thank you for any and all comments regarded this sacred movie.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Killer Meteor

No, the Rarescope DVDs are as good as it gets sadly. I can understand the difficulties in finding good prints, but would it kill them to make new optional subtitles/

I never understood the acclaim this gets. I think its badly written, slackly directed, weakly acted junk

I'm not aware of any. Hoker put out a disc for Iron Mistress (Iron Petticoat), that was superior to the Rarescope dvd and greenfandvd is going to release The Dream Sword which will probably be an improvement over the current Rarescope release. (I'm not denigrating the Rarescope titles, most of the stuff they released is still the best option/only option). Showdown at the Cottonmill could pop up; these old Taiwanese movies are exotic in a category that is already considered somewhat rarefied.

The dubbed version apparently doesn't exist anymore.

PanMedia put out a version with removable subtitles, but I won't encourage buying it as it's a bootleg.

I'm not a fan of the authoring methods at Rarescope/Vengeance I must say.

crazedjustice888

Thank you for the help everyone. I guess I just have to play the waiting game huh...:(

Thank you once again.

This is one of my faves (although I can see why some would not rate it given the hype it has received over the years)

A clean dual track with subs version of this however seems as far away now as when I first saw the film years ago!

On one of the previous versions of the board there was talk of a clean print with dub however I don’t know if this was ever verified.

Pity the rarescope didnt include removeable subs...

hi--i found this at kungfumovies.net . SHOWDOWN is listed as dubbed but i can't confirm since i don't have the movie. it looks like a panmedia movie but not sure.

post-61-144191884747_thumb.jpg

by the way i thought i should mention that some movies on this site are listed as english language but they mean english sub titles. i believe they still list TRILOGY OF SWORDSMANSHIP and RENDEZVOUS WITH DEATH as english language versions.

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

I finally saw Showdown at Cotton Mill. If you all remember I bought a copy and the dubbing was off by a fraction of a second so I refused to watch it. I took a chance at my local video store because I had heard on this forum others did not have the dubbing problem.

Well now I understand. I give the movie 4.5 star in over all rating.

I think Wu Ma's direction was superlative.That man knows HIS kung fu and thats for sure. I wonder how many other movies Wu Ma directed that were as great as this one.

That old cliche " The best kung fu movie I ever saw" comes into play here. In that I mean, it was one of the greats, because this genre, IMO, produces more cinema masterpieces than any other. But its a a skill one develops over the years of having seen so many of these movies.

GD Y-Y

GrimTales

On the back of the UK DVD box doesn't the blurb say "The rarest kung fu movie ever has been found" or something like that? Surely it can't be the rarest ever? :D

Killer Meteor

Good action aside, its dull and formulaic. nothing remarkable except from the manufactured hype

Guest Markgway
Good action aside, its dull and formulaic. nothing remarkable except from the manufactured hype

Agreed.

Morgoth Bauglir

Very powerful movie. Great acting, great action, great directing.

ironfistedmonk

It was over hyped due to it's rareness, I had the old crappy almost unwatchable version and was glad to get a hold of the Rarescope release but it's not the masterpiece some make it out to be. It's like a lesser film in Chang Cheh's Shaolin cycle, it's not a bad film but there are tons better.

Chinatown Kid
Very powerful movie. Great acting, great action, great directing.

Same here Morgoth, I love the fight between Chi Kuan Chun's Southern style Kung Fu and Tan's Tae Kwon Do. Tan has said this is his best work. Chi seems to have muscles on top of muscles, especially his back. It makes his Kung fu seem all the more powerful on screen.

mantis FIST
The dubbed version apparently doesn't exist anymore.

Does anyone on this board actually have this?

littlefuzzy

This is one of the two Rarescope titles I own, the other is The Lost Swordship. It's been a while since I watched them, so the details are blurring together, but I rated both of them a 4 at IMDB.

Granted, I'm not an expert on martial arts movies, but something about both films just seemed a bit off. I dont' remember now if print quality entered into the ratings, or if it was just the content.

I enjoyed the movie and I thought the endfight between Tan Tao Liang and Chi Kuan Chun was awesome!

vengeanceofhumanlanterns
This is one of the two Rarescope titles I own, the other is The Lost Swordship. It's been a while since I watched them, so the details are blurring together, but I rated both of them a 4 at IMDB.

Granted, I'm not an expert on martial arts movies, but something about both films just seemed a bit off. I dont' remember now if print quality entered into the ratings, or if it was just the content.

You should really pick up Along Came A Tiger. One of the best rarescope releases IMO. Great film.

Killer Meteor
You should really pick up Along Came A Tiger. One of the best rarescope releases IMO. Great film.

Awful dvd i thought.

TibetanWhiteCrane

How is it awful???? It was a seemingly lost forever print, dragged out of Wong Tao's personal stash. With a commentary by the man himself!

Damn you people are hard to please sometimes!

Morgoth Bauglir

I thought Along Comes the Tiger was average at best, and the DVD has some slight problems, but the commentary is one of the best I've ever heard. Easily one of my favorite DVDs.

Tantheman

I love Showdown. The round kick Tan performs mid film I rewound ten times it was so perfectly done! And the end fight has an intensity rarely matched. Along Comes a Tiger is pretty good but you guys are right the dvd is amazing love Toby Russell and Wong Tao's commentary. Toby is the man!

Killer Meteor
How is it awful???? It was a seemingly lost forever print, dragged out of Wong Tao's personal stash. With a commentary by the man himself!

Damn you people are hard to please sometimes!

Well the UK dvd has some horrible video authoring problems. the actual print looks OK, its just lost in lots of jagged edges, fuzz and blurr

Archived