Chandni Chowk TC was just OK.If Warner B has Pedicab Driver, then how about PD next?

wackiechan

MINOR SPOILERS BELOW

I just saw "Chandni Chowk To China" in a theatre yesterday. The movie was just okay. Gordon Liu's fight scenes seemed to be nothing special. "CCTC" had some scenes which were ripoffs of "Drunken Master" and also, I think, "Kung Fu Hustle". In case you were wondering, Chandi Chowk is an Indian city in the movie.

If it's true that Warner Brothers Studios is the distributor of "CCTC", and if WB has the rights to "Pedicab Driver", then maybe the next thing for WB to do is to finally release "PD".

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kungfusamurai

I was contemplating checking it out, but then I saw the running time and remembered that Bollywood flicks require a huge commitment to sit through. And the ones that I've watched, I could only get through 45 minutes at a time, especially if the movie has really bad humor.

I'll wait for it to come on DVD. I was really hoping it would be a good crossover, but it's more Bollywood than HK from the sounds of it.

KFS

It's only 2.5 hours long (short for a Bollywood movie). There's only three songs and a couple of musical montages (like the one during his training).

A lot of people that have seen it have complained that it's either not Bollywood enough or not martial artsy enough. The two styles of sentimentality mesh surprisingly well as well as the sudden tonal shifts.

I liked it well enough. It may be more successful as a curiousity piece.

I'll wait for it to come on DVD. I was really hoping it would be a good crossover, but it's more Bollywood than HK from the sounds of it.
I would recommend seeing it on DVD with the fast forward button handy. There's a lot of good in the movie, but there are slow parts, and depending on your sense of humor, possibly a lot of stupid parts as well.

I think it was fairly successful at fusing Bollywood and what passes for wuxia these days. My only complaint about the fighting was the wirework, but I'm pretty picky about it.

Archived