Animeigo Will Be Releasing Sleepy Eyes of Death on DVD

kungfusamurai

tokenganjaclan aka strutr74: WOW its been awhile since we had anyone Bashed Merlin or CK! And I agree it is a shame that there are Tons, of movies that won't ever see a legit release! So I'm glad for people like Merlin & CK, But there will always be people who aren't happy about what they do!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
tokenganjaclan
tokenganjaclan aka strutr74: WOW its been awhile since we had anyone Bashed Merlin or CK! And I agree it is a shame that there are Tons, of movies that won't ever see a legit release! So I'm glad for people like Merlin & CK, But there will always be people who aren't happy about what they do!

LOL, Ck gets bashed alot just not here. I'm cool with Merlin, tho his prices are TOO high. Ck is a chump and a thief. Guess the words out he doesn't even do ANYTHING on his dvds. Timing, menues, we all know he steals subs.

He has been a fake the whole time, It's funny tho, for so long he had everyone fooled into thinking he was doing everyone a favor by bringing us dvds.

And to find out he does NOTHING but sale and others make the dvds for him and he takes the credit.... Very funny...

JFYI: DeepDiscount Super Sale 25% Off is on now until August 2nd. so get those DVD's or whatever else you've been waiting for!

Enter Code: JULY9

Guest WuxiaFan
JFYI: DeepDiscount Super Sale 25% Off is on now until August 2nd. so get those DVD's or whatever else you've been waiting for!

Enter Code: JULY9

daisho -- thanks for the code! That's an incredible deal! 4 discs for approx $8.41, plus free shipping!! WOW!

Also, worth using the code on SHINOBI NO MONO #4. That's a better deal than than the 12.99 sale at AnimEigo as you will have to pay shipping there!

WuxiaFan: If your getting the "Sleepy Eyes of Death" Box set it came out to around $33.00 with the Discount Code. I ordered Mine already, shipped today!

Guest WuxiaFan
WuxiaFan: If your getting the "Sleepy Eyes of Death" Box set it came out to around $33.00 with the Discount Code. I ordered Mine already, shipped today!

Yes, that's the price I got. I also ordered Shinobi no Mono 4. With the discount code, that came out to around $11! Another bargain! My order has not shipped yet. : (

I was thinking that this set would be cheaper considering that it was widely & professionally bootlegged. 33 bucks is a nice price, but that should be the regular price, not something you've got to seek out & then have a coupon for. I hope that they don't put this one out to crickets.

Listen I got all the remastered versions Merlin did, before I heard AnimEigo was releasing them. And his copies were Awesome! And I will always support a legit company. I just wish someone else would pick up the Lone Wolf & Cub TV series and finish it!

kungfusamurai

Thanks for the heads up! I thought Deepdiscount would have sent me an email notification, but that didn't happen. I've been preparing a list for months! :)

KFS

Guest WuxiaFan
I was thinking that this set would be cheaper considering that it was widely & professionally bootlegged. 33 bucks is a nice price, but that should be the regular price, not something you've got to seek out & then have a coupon for. I hope that they don't put this one out to crickets.

HAZ - don't really get what you're saying. This is new box set from AnimEigo in which they have restored it uncut, unedited, and presented in the original theatrical aspect ratio. So, when looking at the price and where to buy this set (since its R1), I'm going to go with the lowest price from a reputable retailer. Deepdiscount kicked everybody's ass, including amazon which is usually the lowest most of the time. So, having an additional coupon on top of the low price is more icing on the cake!

On a related note, AnimEigo states on their site that they have renewed the license to the entire series:

http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/sleepy.t

HAZ - don't really get what you're saying. This is new box set from AnimEigo in which they have restored it uncut, unedited, and presented in the original theatrical aspect ratio. So, when looking at the price and where to buy this set (since its R1), I'm going to go with the lowest price from a reputable retailer. Deepdiscount kicked everybody's ass, including amazon which is usually the lowest most of the time. So, having an additional coupon on top of the low price is more icing on the cake!

On a related note, AnimEigo states on their site that they have renewed the license to the entire series:

http://www.animeigo.com/Samurai/sleepy.t

The Deepdiscount dvd price is amazing. If that was the manufacturers recommended price, I think that would be fair & they would sell a lot more dvds. I saw this today in a store for almost 70.00 bucks. Good luck to animeigo to move dvds at that price point.

I was not familiar with this series, but picked up the set via the DeepDiscount sale---and just got it in the mail yesterday. I watched the first one, and LOVED IT!! Samurais, ninjas, kung fu---a super cool hero, wonderful cinematography and music---what's not to love? Can't wait to watch the others. Nice liner notes/insert, too----a great set from Animeigo.

KyFi: This is a Great Series! I have the entire series that was remastered by Merlin, and now I ordered this box set from AnimEigo. To me this is one of the best series next to Lone Wolf & Cub series.

KyFi: This is a Great Series! I have the entire series that was remastered by Merlin, and now I ordered this box set from AnimEigo. To me this is one of the best series next to Lone Wolf & Cub series.

Although I love the LW&C TV series, the Lone Wolf & Cub movies are a little too over-the-top for me, in that I'm not a big fan of the graphic violence and spurting blood--I've always preferred the Zatoichi movies. But yeah, I'm loving Sleepy Eyes so far---can't wait to see how the rest of the movies in the series stack up!

I just received my DVD set in the Mail today. I can't wait to watch this remastered series from AnimEigo. It just a shame they won't release the 2 Films #13 & 14 that were made after Raizo's Death. But Merlin over @ SamuraiDVD.com did remaster them and has them if you want to add them to your collection. And for the record I think they were great movies, but the Fans didn't like them that's why only 2 movies were made and that was a shame because I thought they were very good.

kungfusamurai

You know who I think looks like Ichikawa Raizo and should have played Nemuri Kyoshiro for 13 and 14, that guy who always plays Sonny Chiba's nemesis in his karate/SF type movies. I still can't remember his name. His features are similar to Ichikawa and he even has a deep voice like him. I don't recall that actor ever appearing in Chambara, even though he seemed like he must have been in his mid to late 30s when he started fighting in those Chiba flicks. He just as quickly disappeared once Chiba switched to swordplay only.

KFS

Matsukata Hiroki replaced Raizo as Kyoshiro after his Death and starred in the last 2 movies in this series: I think he did a Great Job. Merlin is the one who has them and believe me they are worth adding to your collection if your a fan of this series.

#13-Nemuri Kyoshiro Engetsu Sappo (THE FULL MOON SWORDSMAN)

#14-Nemuri Kyoshiro Manji Giri ( SPINNING WHEEL KILLING)

They both star Matsukata Hiroki as Kyoshiro and while they are at least

as good as any in the rest of the series, Raizo owned that role and

could never be replaced. Matsukata was a far superior swordsman as can

be seen in his many starring roles, including BROKEN SWORDS and TAIKOKI,

as well as in the 2 Nemuri films.

• Administrator
KUNG FU BOB
You know who I think looks like Ichikawa Raizo and should have played Nemuri Kyoshiro for 13 and 14, that guy who always plays Sonny Chiba's nemesis in his karate/SF type movies. I still can't remember his name. His features are similar to Ichikawa and he even has a deep voice like him. I don't recall that actor ever appearing in Chambara, even though he seemed like he must have been in his mid to late 30s when he started fighting in those Chiba flicks. He just as quickly disappeared once Chiba switched to swordplay only.

KFS

Funny, I always thought that too. He could definitely have played Raizo's older, less handsome (and jealous) brother in a movie.

His name is Masashi ("Milton") Ishibashi. The only chanbara film I recall seeing him in was SHOGUN'S NINJA, but I don't remember being impressed by his blade work. He was a great karate actor though, nearly matching Chiba-san in the pulling-crazy-faces department. I think the most recent film I saw him in was FIGHTING FIST from 1992.

To me, he'll always be Jungo!

kungfusamurai
Funny, I always thought that too. He could definitely have played Raizo's older, less handsome (and jealous) brother in a movie.

His name is Masashi ("Milton") Ishibashi. The only chanbara film I recall seeing him in was SHOGUN'S NINJA, but I don't remember being impressed by his blade work. He was a great karate actor though, nearly matching Chiba-san in the pulling-crazy-faces department. I think the most recent film I saw him in was FIGHTING FIST from 1992.

To me, he'll always be Jungo!

Thanks for remembering the name, KFB. I don't know why I can remember so many HK and Japanese on screen fighters, but his name never sticks in my head. Maybe it's because I find his battles with Chiba a little disappointing. It always seems to be really built up, and then they don't really do much with it. I think out of all of the confrontations they had, including all the rainy ones in the SF series, I prefer the sparring he did with Chiba in Killing Machine.

I don't recall exactly what character he played in Shogun's Ninja, but I also do recall him being in it. Maybe it was somewhere in the beginning when all those people were being killed.

KFS

kungfusamurai

I received an email late last week from deep discount that they're also using SUPERSALE for the 25% off. I already used the other code to get everything I wanted, so maybe someone else here who realized they wanted something else could try and see if the second code also works.

Unfortunately, being from outside of the USA, I don't get a deal on shipping, so my purchases are limited based on their scale of charging.

KFS

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

checked out first and fourth in the box set. they look and sound great. no audio problems like blaring high end frequencies. also, Animeigo used their previous subs. so the translations are what you'll remember from their vhs releases of these films. i'm personally very happy with this decision on Animeigo's part because usually "new and improved english translations" are terribly sterile and generic.

Just bought this the other day. Stil haven't opened up the packaging but I'm looking forward to checking them out when I have time.

Guest WuxiaFan

AnimEigo did an incredible job with the box set packaging. The set opens up on with a pocket on the left inside cover with an excellent booklet explaining about Raizo, the time period of the films, about Toei, about the other films, and then a profile of film #1 and #4. I don't really get why there was no explanation of #2 and #3, but overall, excellent. The DVDs come on the other two flaps with discs 1 and 2 on one flap and discs 3 and 4 on the other. The set is just awesome! Haven't watched them yet, though! :ooh:

kungfusamurai

I got my set, and it's nice. I didn't realize Ric Meyers was doing the audio commentary, but I won't hold that against Animeigo. :)

I can't wait for Vol. 2!

KFS

Archived