Animeigo Will Be Releasing Sleepy Eyes of Death on DVD

kungfusamurai

I would just like to see the entire Lone Wolf & CUB TV Series get completed, I wish it had been AnimEigo that had picked up this series. And I agree I think it was smart to sell the movies in a 4 box set.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
These moves in real life are absolutely 100% lethal. They are no joke. These two brothers could probably have taken on ten average swordsmen in a real-life battle.

We're both lucky, and unlucky to have witnessed their proficiency. Lucky for obvious reasons. Unlucky because everytime I see some pop star or half-assed actor/actress swinging a sword now, it usually looks so lame. I was very let down by SAMURAI FICTION, AZUMI, and a lot of other stuff that everyone else seems to enjoy.

Oh well. I'll just pull a Zatoichi or Lone Wolf off the shelf! :nerd:

lol,.. i just read this today,.. and Kung Fu Bob this is where ignorance is bliss.

i can enjoy half-ass sword play because i do not study the art as you do brother.

but then again i'm good at gun play,.. well use to be,.. i don't like to touch the stuff anymore. but i can understand how you look at films and can see counterfit moves or unreal action. it sticks out ,.. i have a hard time with some yakuza films.

but you make me laugh ,.. cause azumi was kick ass movie,.. you really have to look at it with rookie eyes,. that's how i trick myself with some yakuza films.

another words,.. make yourself stop analizing the moves too much,.. it's like looking for the strings in a shaw bros. movie,.. look too hard you will definatly find them ,..lol

• Administrator
lol,.. i just read this today,.. and Kung Fu Bob this is where ignorance is bliss.

i can enjoy half-ass sword play because i do not study the art as you do brother.

but then again i'm good at gun play,.. well use to be,.. i don't like to touch the stuff anymore. but i can understand how you look at films and can see counterfit moves or unreal action. it sticks out ,.. i have a hard time with some yakuza films.

but you make me laugh ,.. cause azumi was kick ass movie,.. you really have to look at it with rookie eyes,. that's how i trick myself with some yakuza films.

another words,.. make yourself stop analizing the moves too much,.. it's like looking for the strings in a shaw bros. movie,.. look too hard you will definatly find them ,..lol

Oh yeah Man, I hear you. I don't apply the "That couldn't really happen, so this sucks" philosophy too much. Otherwise 90% of the movies I love... I would hate! XD LOL But occasionally, something is just performed so poorly that it's like a thumb in the eye- hard to ignore.

As for guns, I started shooting competitively when I was just a kid. Same as you- I lost my taste for them. But watching stuff like John Woo flicks or WANTED doesn't bother me. It's still very entertaining. Maybe one pet peeve I have- all these "tough guys" shooting their pistols while holding them sideways, 'cause it's so gangster. These guns are more prone to jamming when held that way, so it's pretty stupid.

I love women who kick ass- on film, and in real life- and I was totally psyched for AZUMI. I heard the basic plot, and thought it sounded like a good time. I saw in in a theater- optimal viewing- but I really thought it just sucked. Here's why:

1. All the characters were totally empty shells, no character whatsoever. Even in VERSUS Kitamura made all the characters simple cliches... but they still had some character.

2. The lead didn't look AT ALL capable of doing what they had her doing. When you watch ROYAL WARRIORS, Michelle Yeoh is feminine, yet she looks like she's actually capable of having that crazy fight in the shed at the end. However, "Azumi" looked like she had just picked up a stick the day before shooting began, and practiced like a little girl, for maybe 40 minutes. Her performance didn't convince me one bit that she could fight. I saw the "making of" on this, and saw her taking some hard knocks and really trying. Kudos to her. But... for me, it just didn't work.

3. Lots of body parts coming off, barely any blood! This just made everything look silly. I mean, it didn't have to be geysers like LW&C, but a little more than that bullshit mist! And again, this is from the guy that directed VERSUS? Where's the blood?!

4. The direction and camera work were lame, and self-indulgent. I don't mind fancy cinematography- Park Chan-wook, Sam Raimi, Pang Bros., et. Kitamura's first film used this stuff to excellent effect. But the seemingly never-ending shot of the camera spinning around that fight on the beam towards the film's end? :l TOTAL SHIT!

Just for the record, everyone else I saw it with really enjoyed it. I thought I must have missed something and rewatched it. I even watched the Director's Cut the second time, thinking maybe that would resolve the problems I had with edited version. Um... no.

I think Ryuhei Kitamura came on the scene strong, with an extremely fun, gory, kinetic film in VERSUS. I then think he went steadily downhill from that with each subsequent film.

SAMURAI FICTION? I saw what they were going for, but they failed. Just thought it was stupid.

It's possible that I have way more tolerance for bad kung fu than for bad chanbara flicks. I certainly haven't seen as many samurai flicks as you my friend! End of rant. :nerd:

Guest maskedavenger
So? This is a great series that deserves the region 1 treatment, and with a legitimate revival hopefully it will find a broader audience. Merlin's fan subs are awesome, and I know I personally bought several of his Nemuri releases myself but it just isn't the same as having that factory pressed disc.

They should spend their resources on the many classics that have not been subtitled. We don't need yet another redundant Nemuri release. If you want a factory pressed bootleg, you can buy them from Stiller.

I predict Animeigo won't finish the series. Seriously, take a look at SHINOBI NO MONO. It's been what two years now and they've only released two movies in the series. It looks like they are ready to bail on that series. But I don't care because Merlin already subbed all of the SHINOBI NO MONO movies.

I hate to be the one to say it but no one in America knows or cares about Raizo.

They should spend their resources on the many classics that have not been subtitled. We don't need yet another redundant Nemuri release. If you want a factory pressed bootleg, you can buy them from Stiller.

That's some of the most ignorant shit i've ever read on here. It's that type of logic that keeps legitimate distributors from releasing more titles, and allows outfits such as panmedia to thrive.

Another release of Shinobi no Mono is due next month, with another following this summer. The cost to release licensed material is high, it's not as simple as paying someone to translate and authoring a subtitled disc.

Oh yeah Man, I hear you. I don't apply the "That couldn't really happen, so this sucks" philosophy too much. Otherwise 90% of the movies I love... I would hate! XD LOL But occasionally, something is just performed so poorly that it's like a thumb in the eye- hard to ignore.

As for guns, I started shooting competitively when I was just a kid. Same as you- I lost my taste for them. But watching stuff like John Woo flicks or WANTED doesn't bother me. It's still very entertaining. Maybe one pet peeve I have- all these "tough guys" shooting their pistols while holding them sideways, 'cause it's so gangster. These guns are more prone to jamming when held that way, so it's pretty stupid.

I love women who kick ass- on film, and in real life- and I was totally psyched for AZUMI. I heard the basic plot, and thought it sounded like a good time. I saw in in a theater- optimal viewing- but I really thought it just sucked. Here's why:

1. All the characters were totally empty shells, no character whatsoever. Even in VERSUS Kitamura made all the characters simple cliches... but they still had some character.

2. The lead didn't look AT ALL capable of doing what they had her doing. When you watch ROYAL WARRIORS, Michelle Yeoh is feminine, yet she looks like she's actually capable of having that crazy fight in the shed at the end. However, "Azumi" looked like she had just picked up a stick the day before shooting began, and practiced like a little girl, for maybe 40 minutes. Her performance didn't convince me one bit that she could fight. I saw the "making of" on this, and saw her taking some hard knocks and really trying. Kudos to her. But... for me, it just didn't work.

3. Lots of body parts coming off, barely any blood! This just made everything look silly. I mean, it didn't have to be geysers like LW&C, but a little more than that bullshit mist! And again, this is from the guy that directed VERSUS? Where's the blood?!

4. The direction and camera work were lame, and self-indulgent. I don't mind fancy cinematography- Park Chan-wook, Sam Raimi, Pang Bros., et. Kitamura's first film used this stuff to excellent effect. But the seemingly never-ending shot of the camera spinning around that fight on the beam towards the film's end? :l TOTAL SHIT!

Just for the record, everyone else I saw it with really enjoyed it. I thought I must have missed something and rewatched it. I even watched the Director's Cut the second time, thinking maybe that would resolve the problems I had with edited version. Um... no.

I think Ryuhei Kitamura came on the scene strong, with an extremely fun, gory, kinetic film in VERSUS. I then think he went steadily downhill from that with each subsequent film.

SAMURAI FICTION? I saw what they were going for, but they failed. Just thought it was stupid.

It's possible that I have way more tolerance for bad kung fu than for bad chanbara flicks. I certainly haven't seen as many samurai flicks as you my friend! End of rant. :nerd:

lol,.. that's why i like you ,.. you are a REAL dude !!!

funny you mentioned the sideways gunplay,..lol,.. i saw a fella try that in front of me,.. and his piece fell apart ,..into pieces,..lol me and my fellas laughed so hard we forgot to kick his ass,.. and he ran off,..i was on the ground dieing laughing (10 years ago).

hey maybe try watching azumi half drunk,..lol

if you did not like azumi 1 , please do not watch 2,.. let's talk cheezy:p

btw bob,.. i'm gonna mail your gift out this weekend.

maskedavenger: I do see what your saying, but I do have to agree with MadManDragula. And for the record if you never really watch any of Raizo's films then you are really missing an Excellent Actor, and some of his movies his Swordfighting is off the Hook. ex: The Betrayal! Great Movie!

I agree 100% though I thought Azumi was the best out of those 3 movies, I wouldn't care to watch it again. For my money I'll take Yôji Yamada trilogy anyday over these films, why try to change something that is already brillant.

is there an official english-friendly version of betrayal anywhere, or only fansubbed bootlegs?

Only fansubs unfortunately, however Merlin's most recent fan sub uses the remastered french release (I believe) and looks fabulous.

Guest maskedavenger
That's some of the most ignorant shit i've ever read on here. It's that type of logic that keeps legitimate distributors from releasing more titles, and allows outfits such as panmedia to thrive.

The only ignorant person here is you. Remind us who finished the Sleepy Eyes series after Animeigo abandoned it?

The only ignorant person here is you. Remind us who finished the Sleepy Eyes series after Animeigo abandoned it?

The person who didn't have to worry about profits in relation to licensing fees, nor anywhere near the promotion, manufacturing and distribution costs. The point is that this is a phenomenal series and deserves a legitimate region 1 release and the opportunity to be made more accessible to a broader audience.

I just want to say in case AnimEigo doesn't finish the rest of this series Merlin over at SamuraiDVD.com just finished #5,6,7 remastered in Beautiful Widescreen format. I'm so glad I have the entire series now. But still waiting for AnimEigo's release.

daisho2004

Here is the Cover Art for this series & the Price, a little steep, but hey I'll be buying it!

51pLgDk1wrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sleepy Eyes of Death: Collector's Set, Vol. 1 (1963)

Starring: Raizo Ichikawa Rating: Unrated Format: DVD

From Amazon.com

List Price: $79.98

Price: $71.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

You Save: $7.99 (10%)

Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on July 14, 2009.

Guest WuxiaFan
Here is the Cover Art for this series & the Price, a little steep, but hey I'll be buying it!

51pLgDk1wrL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Sleepy Eyes of Death: Collector's Set, Vol. 1 (1963)

Starring: Raizo Ichikawa Rating: Unrated Format: DVD

From Amazon.com

List Price: $79.98

Price: $71.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping. Details

You Save: $7.99 (10%)

Pre-order Price Guarantee. Learn more.

This title will be released on July 14, 2009.

Daisho - check HKFlix first before amazon. They have it a little cheaper: $69.95

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.550414/qx/details.htm

WuxiaFan: DeepDiscount.com will be having its 20% off sale very soon so hopefully it will be out after this is released because you cannot use it for pre-ordered movies!

kungfusamurai

That price isn't too bad. I don't know what extras they have, but it's cheaper than the usual SRP on Animeigo titles that are sold separately (aren't they usually $20 a pop initially?).

I'll wait for the Deep discount sale, though. If that ever happens. I think the last one was summer of last year, unless I snoozed on the christmas time one.

KFS

KFS: DeepDiscount.com has that 20% off sale every 6Months. I called them the other day to find out about an order I had placed and they said the sale should be in a few weeks... So looking forward to picking up a few titles that being one of them, if it released in time!

BTW I just went on the site to check out the price from them and its listed at $48.95 for this set.Great Price! :D

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

six days left and counting. i cannot wait to purchase this set. one of the best remastered releases of samurai cinema to be released this year, imo.

Guest WuxiaFan
KFS: DeepDiscount.com has that 20% off sale every 6Months. I called them the other day to find out about an order I had placed and they said the sale should be in a few weeks... So looking forward to picking up a few titles that being one of them, if it released in time!

BTW I just went on the site to check out the price from them and its listed at $48.95 for this set.Great Price! :D

That's definately the lowest price I've seen, too! Here's the link:

http://www.deepdiscount.com/viewproduct.htm?productId=69000275

Other prices are much higher: :o

-HKFlix: $69.95

-Amazon: $71.99

-AnimEigo: $67.98

-BestBuy.com: $89.99

-Barnes Noble: $71.99

-Borders: $68.99

-DVDAsian: $69.95

Yesasia does not have R1 AnimEigo version, but does have R2 Japan versions, all 12 films, but they don't have English subs.:P

Guest maskedavenger
six days left and counting. i cannot wait to purchase this set. one of the best remastered releases of samurai cinema to be released this year, imo.

Huh? Merlin already remastered these movies using the mint R2 dvds years ago.

daisho2004

Yes Merlin did remaster the entire series and I'm glad he did! I will support AnimEigo as well. Merlin also has the last 2 movies that were made without Raizo Ichikawa and they were Great! AnimEigo I don't think will get them!?

tokenganjaclan

Too steep for my blood. Yeah Merlin did these but they were done BEFORE Merlin.

He is the only one trying to cash in on them.

There are a Ton of Japan/French remasters that have been done but aren't out, They end up for sell by Ck and the other leechers. It's too bad, a lot of people are missing out on good stuff that will never get released legit.

Archived