Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)

Guest ShaKwon

How's this one different (better) than the previously released Canadian 3-disc collector's edition that also contained the director's cut?

daisho2004

froffeecoffee: I can't take credit for that review it was from someone else! But I did see the movie a long time ago, and I really can't remember it all that well. But I will be picking this one up.

daisho2004

Here are the only things I could find about both disc's:

Product Details

DVD Features:

Region 1

Snap Case

Director's Cut

Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35

Full Frame - 1.33

Audio:

Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround - English, French

Subtitles - English (SDH), Spanish - Optional

Disc 1: THE BROTHERHOOD OF THE WOLF

Additional Release Material:

Deleted Scenes

Trailers: Theatrical Trailer

Disc 2: Bonus Disc

Additional Release Material:

Featurette:

1. The Guts of the Beast

2. Legend

Text/Photo Galleries:

Storyboards

3 Disc Set:

:: Two Commentaries (in French with NO English subs)

:by actors Samuel Le Bihan and Vincent Cassel

:by director Christophe Gans

:: Deleted Scenes

:: "The Guts of the Beast" Documentary - 78 min.

:: "Behind the Scenes" Documentary - 78 min.

:: Filmographies

:: Trailer

:: "The Legend" Documentary

:: Storyboards

:: Photo Gallery

:: Production Notes Booklet

Morgoth Bauglir

Oh sorry I was talking about in store. They have racks of movies for $5, $7.50, $9... Brotherhood has been on the $7.50 rack for a few months.

kungfusamurai

I think the 3 disc was only available in Canada. I recall there were some extras that didn't have english subs.

I saw it in the theatre when it was out and enjoyed it a lot. Great story, great action, a real sleeper.

KFS

Thanks. It looks like this new disc doesn't have anything that the previous 3-disc set has, except a pan & scan version of the movie, which just isn't quite enough for me to upgrade.

It'd be a no-brainer if I didn't already own the 3-disc set, though.

You've got to go to the store for the 7.50 price, the prices online are rarely the same as in the store. SOmetimes better, sometimes worse.

don't know difference between mine & the director's cut, but i've got the U.K. 2 disc release from 2002 (?).

mine lasts for 137 minutes & that's plenty good enough for me.

perhaps the "director's cut" will just add in the deleted scenes ??? (like when Dacascos & Bihan arrive in the rain, only Dacascos kicks butt, but in deleted scenes Bihan gets off his horse & does some more - though i think works well with just Dacascos).

perhaps the "director's cut" will just add in the deleted scenes ??? (like when Dacascos & Bihan arrive in the rain, only Dacascos kicks butt, but in deleted scenes Bihan gets off his horse & does some more - though i think works well with just Dacascos).

Didn't work well for me.It wasn't until I saw the deleted scene that I thought Bihan was "possessed"by Dacascos' spirit and "learned"how to fight.Because if I remember correctly, you dont see him fight until the end of the movie.So when I initially saw it, and he was fighting like Manni,(war paint and all),I thought Manni had possessed him somehow.I liked the movie well enough and was willing to overlook the ridiculousness of that scene,until I saw the deleted scene in the beginning,then the movie made better sense.

butcher wing

I loved the scene at the beginning when they show up in the rain when the girl is being beaten up. The slow mo shots were wicked and really made me stop and watch. Decascos then lays a beating. Awesome

The Canadian disc set is worth getting for the feature length making of documentary alone! There is a really cool bit shot on a camcorder where Philip Kwoks guys are messing around in a carpark or somewhere figuring out some moves for a fight. One of them, completely without wires, jumps up and runs along a few stunt guys chests! I'm going to have to watch it again now.

kingofkungfu2002

I saw this in the cinema. and it's surprising how many people walked out when they realized it was subtitled :l

SlothStyleKungFu

I haven't seen Brotherhood of the Wolf since it was in theaters. I remember at first hating the blend of styles and influences (arty, period piece, kung fu, mystery, horror, foreign, pulp/comic book...) but about midway through I started warming to it becasue it was so all over the place that I found it admirable and ballsy.

Its one of those films where I know revisiting it, I'm either going to say, "This is crap" or "This is great," so maybe thats why I haven't given it another whirl and stick with my vague, middling, first viewing reaction.

I haven't seen this movie in a while so I dug it out and watched it last night, I have the extended Directors cut, and for a non HK movie this did have a good amount of M.A. in it. I think it was an excellent movie it had all the elemnets Horror, Action, Romance, Mark Dacascos was off the hook in it as well. And Monica Bellucci OMG! It was a shame the Director had to cut the beginning fight scene down and it was a great scene but he even said he felt it didn't tie into his movie.

Still no Region A Blu-ray - did Universal lose the rights to this film? As far as I know, all the StudioCanal titles formerly released by Criterion are now handled by Lionsgate. Could this StudioCanal film be stuck in a similar situation?