Brotherhood of the Wolf (2001)

Guest ShaKwon

Guest ShaKwon

Greetings,

A coworker recently told me that she & her husband saw BOTW w/ an Eng. dub track. I think that they watched it on Showtime or HBO?

I scoured the net looking for a dubbed dvd print. Nothing doing. Can anyone tell me where to find an Eng. dub copy? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

ShaKwon

Guest Daisho2004

ShaKwon go to amazon.com and put in a search for this title there are (2) version of this movie the Standard version and the 3 disc Sp.Ed. and both have English Dubbed on it.

Guest stormybman

I have the 3 disc special ed. and it really is nice. The original French track is in dts and 5.1, and is uncut with the longer fight scenes... Lots of bts with the production and Kuo Chui... D finately one to pick up...

Jiu-Jitsu-Dragon

Hey i just picked this flick up on a whim i never heard of it before but i thought it was a pretty good movie and a good view how a country not normally associated with screen fighting (france) does it, to anyone who hasnt seen it i reccomend it and anyone who has im interested in hearing your opinions on the film

The Running Man

This isn't a martial arts movie, but it did have Philip Kwok doing choreography on it. I didn't like how they turned out really.

Highly enjoyed this film! Watched it several times.

Lush settings ... Intriguing storyline ....

...and some cool choreography thanks to our man, The Lizard.

Would recommend.

• Administrator

It had all the elements I like: truly scary horror, adventure, mystery, martial arts, and romance. Oh yeah, and some smokin' hot ladies! Growl!

The 3 disc special edition extended cut exclusive to Canada is the way to go. There's a lengthy interview with Kuo Chui on there. He talks about how difficult it was working with lead actor Samuel Le Bihan in getting him to do the fight scenes while Vincent Cassell picked up quickly. Saw it in the theater. Loved it. Seen it several times since. There's also a video diary detailing the making of the film from start to finish among the many features. Something like 2 1/2 hours long if I remember right.

I really liked the film as well. Mark Dacascos was great, and the revenge scene mentioned earlier was my favorite part. Visually stunning film, and anything with Monica Bellucci is worth a look!

I've seen it once years ago and im not a fan of french films at all but this was pretty good. It's based on a real life story which is historical but also mythical and i like those sorts of storylines.

As said before Mark Dacascos and the action choreography is great

The Running Man
The 3 disc special edition extended cut exclusive to Canada is the way to go.

A recent US 2 disc release has pretty much all of the extras from that set as well, except the commentary which wasn't subtitled on the Canadian set either. I wonder if the recent US set has proper subtitles instead of the dubtitles from their first release.

• Administrator
The 3 disc special edition extended cut exclusive to Canada is the way to go.

Yeah, this is truly an amazing release. The only down-side for English speaking fans, is as The Running Man pointed out, the lack of subs for the commentary. But all the other extras are a delight!

Saw this in the theater too, I was blown away, wasn't expecting some awesome KF in there, then I found out the man - Kuo Chui did the fight scenes - no freaking wonder, someone tell me why this guy isn't getting hired, Dacascos never looked better, plus you can't go wrong with naked French hookers in a period setting.

Great, somewhat strange movie. The dub for this is as awful as it gets.

vismistananda

Although this film didn't show what can Mark Dacascos can really do, this film is kickass, I love the storyline specially, including the timeline.

daisho2004

This title will be released on May 24, 2009

51q6kRcRm9L._SS500_.jpg

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:

5.0 out of 5 stars Beast attacks, March 25, 2009

By E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews

(TOP 10 REVIEWER) (REAL NAME)

Imagine a fairy tale... but with grit, blood, stylized camerawork, and lots of French kung-fu (savate).

That about sums up "Brotherhood of the Wolf," an epic horror/martial-arts/erotic/action movie loosely based on the French legend of the Beast of Gévaudan, but with a chilling story woven around it. Christophe Gans could have given it a bit more character development, but it's a simple flaw in an otherwise terrifying, intense experience.

An enormous, savage wolflike beast is killing young women and children in the French countryside. And so royal naturalist Grégoire de Fronsac (Samuel Le Bihan) and his Native American sidekick Mani (Mark Dacascos) arrive to investigate, and find that the local authorities are incompetant, the Beast is larger than any wolf, and it's still savaging the locals.

Mani and Grégoire set about tracking down the beast, finding it to be too large and intelligent (and with metal fangs too). But something more sinister than animal attacks is going on -- Fronsac uncovers a mysterious, treasonous society connected to the Beast, and a mysterious, seductive courtesan (Monica Belucci) with hidden motives of her own.

It may be based on a real incident, but "Brotherhood of the Wolf" soon takes off into its own storyline, and relishes every minute. And Christophe Gans crams the whole thing with whatever he likes -- horror, action, fantasy, political period drama, romance, sex, and some French martial arts. It's like an old fairy tale mutated into a live-action anime.

And Gans' direction style can include a little of everything too -- he handles rosy-skied romantic scenes with the same dexterity as raw sex scenes, rainy sludge and bloody chases, including the aftermath of the beast's attacks. And he handles the camera just as well, although the style comes as a bit of a shock in a period film -- it zooms down cliffs and through underbrush, rapid-pans, and lingers on the fairy-tale landscapes of the French countryside.

One of the best examples of this is near the beginning, with Mani and Grégoire encountering a pair of gypsies being bullied, and Mani whipping the bullies with savate and a little la canne. It's a wild, dizzying scene, and thoroughly effective in showing these guys as a force to be reckoned with, even with just their feet, hands and sticks. But at the same time, Gans wraps the beginning and end in a sense of poignant regret, as well as certain scenes of loss.

If there's a flaw, it's that the plot and rich direction take up so much time that it's hard to wedge in some character development. Bihan fares pretty well as the inscrutable taxidermist who finds himself involved in this mess, and over the course of the movie, you develop a liking for him and his girlfriend. But it would have been nice if the characters of Mani and Sylvia were explored a bit more than they were -- as it is, Belucci and Dacascos do amazing jobs with their characters, an earthily beautiful agent and a butt-kicking Iroquois.

It took awhile for the deluxe director's cut to arrive, but it was worth it -- extra scenes put back in (including a subplot), interviews with experts on the REAL event, and some wonderfully raw, deglossed documentaries on the making of the movie.

This horror/action/period/French kung-fu flick breaks all the rules, and it's all the more enjoyable for it. A glorious action classic, and a must-see for cult film lovers.

froffeecoffee

I've wanted this since the day I saw it in theaters. I agree with your entire review Daisho2004. Only thing I gotta ask, when is the Blu-Ray version being released?!?

I wonder if they'll have an interview with Kuo Chui, that would be worth buying this alone, well that and Monica Belucci.

I wonder if they'll have an interview with Kuo Chui, that would be worth buying this alone, well that and Monica Belucci.

Only place I've seen the KC interview is on this release.

Seen bits of that interview but never in its entirety.

Wonder if its on YouTube?