Drifter TKD (2008) - Ron Pohnel, Blake Foster, Mel Novak, Ron Hall

AlbertV

OMG! I cannot believe it...I feel like I was just brought back in a time warp to the 1990's B-movie circuit era of martial arts action films.

Ron Pohnel (NO RETREAT, NO SURRENDER) stars, writes, edits, produces, and directs this (from the trailer) definitive B-movie martial arts action film that I just learned about for one reason:

I was looking at IMDb for former Power Ranger actors and came across Blake Foster, who at only 11, became the Blue Ranger on Power Rangers: Turbo. He was selected at the time while he was training in martial arts and it looks like he kept up his training.

Anyway, DRIFTER TKD stars Pohnel as a drifter who helps Foster, who plays a young martial arts champ and business executive take on his very own father, who heads up a corporation who is against martial arts.

The film co-stars B-movie favorites Mel Novak (The 1978 atrocious version of GAME OF DEATH) as Foster's dad and Leo Fong as a master of martial arts.

Here's the official site with trailer (believe me, it looks cheesy, but me being a fan of "cheese", I may just laugh and find it a guilty pleasure):

http://driftertkd.com

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....got some more good news!!! I got contacted by Ian Reilly himself, Ron Pohnel!!!! He is actually sending me a copy of Drifter TKD for review :) Woohoo!!!!!

hey keep us posted. i would like to see if i can get the film through one of our distributors, or go straight to the source

always a big fan of leo fong. and i love his accent!

I just finished working with Leo Fong in February on a film called Kill Factor. for a guy to be 81 years old he moves around like he's 30, I play a gangmember in the film & I felt like i was making a homage film to the 80's and 90's throw a punch and wait to get hit LOL :D

he's actually a funny old guy, he has a good since of humor, he has a lot of stories, we actually talk alot, i mean he's got stories man!.... but then again what person his age doesn't, he talks alot about the martial arts, when he hung out with bruce lee, his personal martial art style, his methods in boxing and the racism he grew up with & just about everything.

I also trained a little bit with him...again he still has some moves. The villain guy from Game of Death Mel Novak is a pretty good guy too. I met him and we became real cool with each other too. He talked alot about the action films he was in, he also mention that he had problems with Bob Wall on the set of Black Belt Jones stating that Bob Wall was a racist...something to do with Wall and the character that played pinky. Mel also mention he got into it with the double from game of death lol, their both funny guys.

every interview i have ever seen with him has always been a great source of info. plus he always seems like an approachable good ol' boy. i would love to work/train with him. he is living proof that martial arts can really change a person and help in the longevity factor. i hope im as good as he is when i hit 80

As soon as I get the film and see it, I will definitely review it here :)

The review is now up!!! And I got a letter with the DVD complete with an autograph from Ron Pohnel. Interesting stuff he mentioned not only about the film but something that Leo Fong had said to him about being the "Ron Pohnel" that he is now :)

I also posted this comment on the review

Just thought I share this…. the same people that are behind this is behind this film "Thunderkick" which is the 1st film to the new movie mentioned "Kill Factor" which is the sequel.

here is the trailer For Thunderkick

Also Mr Fong has also informed me that his film "Transformed" was released on dvd by rareflix, it has Fred Williamson and the villain Ninja from the 1st American Ninja film Tadashi Yamashita i think his name is? And that they re-released and remastered one of his films "Ninja Nightmare" which is sandwiched between two other films one being Ninja Strikes Back w/ Bruce Le.

Mr Fong actually told me once that him and Bruce Le meet at Cannes and were suppose to do a film together years and years ago, but he said it didn't happen…would have been interesting.

For those who want an update on Ron Pohnel, he is still active in the tournament circuit.

lZ6qTwvx_Ds

This was taken last month and he's the fighter in all black.

I have to admit...I would love to see him return in a sequel to DRIFTER TKD...truly a fun film!

Hey guys,

Reverend Ron Pohnel has posted the full movie Drifter TKD on Youtube for our viewing pleasure :) 

One Armed Boxer

Who knew there was a movie out there that could make 'Miami Connection' look worthy of an Oscar?

I knew what to expect just from seeing the trailers, but I ultimately liked the film for what it was, a film yes in the vein of Miami Connection, but fun. I've seen worse.

Originally, Blake Foster was to have been in the final fight of the film, but according to Ron, he had already went back to Los Angeles. They did have some footage shot prior, but when it was time for reshoots, Blake had already left and Ron ended up fighting long-time friend Luis Banuelos, who plays Carlos the Pimp.

Here's the footage of what would have been Blake Foster vs. Luis Banuelos

Found a recent video of Ron Pohnel. He is nicknamed Pastor Po and has founded The League of Angels, a part of New Hope Church in Oahu and still is active in Martial Arts alongside his wife Charl Oka.

Archived