Jackie as Miyagi???

Monk Sante

I'm going to honestly go into watching this movie with a clear head, I think having a real Kung-Fu Superstar in the movie and the training Jaden Smith is getting should really make this a totally different type of remake. And lets not forget Ralph Macchio was like in his 20's when he made that movie and his skills were horrible! lol

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to honestly go into watching this movie with a clear head, I think having a real Kung-Fu Superstar in the movie and the training Jaden Smith is getting should really make this a totally different type of remake. And lets not forget Ralph Macchio was like in his 20's when he made that movie and his skills were horrible! lol

and that Mr. Miyagi wasnt trained in Martail arts lol...tho he was cool as a bitch!!!!!!!!!

Guest Markgway

Miyagi could scare the shit out of Jackie just by clapping his hands. Even the music cue when he does that says "don't fuck with me, bitch!"

I saw a pic of Jaden Smith in the new issue of People Magazine and he's got quite a high side kick. Wu Gang definitely taught him well. The pic shows Jaden doing a Ken Lo standing split kick. If he continues down the road with this style of training, I can see him transition well into an adult action star. Wish I had a scan of the photo.

mifi90.jpg

Violent Newtype
Lol... the world famous Jaden Smith(?) gets top billing over Jackie Chan!!

I guess its will smith's kid > legondary action star

Guest Markgway

Chances of Markgway going to see this: 0%

Do they have to have hip hop stuck on the soundtrack of every martial arts movie? I mean, is it fucking mandatory?

And if Jackie does take second billing to an unknown kid he should hand his balls in at the studio door.

One thing I noticed from the trailer is that Jaden Smith just has a very unlikable face. I mean I literally saddened the more I saw his head. Maybe it's just me.

Either way, I must admit that I'm not looking forward to this one.

Also, they're still billing it as "The Karate Kid?" Really? Do we have to connect to the original that badly? Would "The Kung Fu" kid really be that far of a stretch?

Maybe they should call it The Geography Kid. You know, he starts off knowing no geography so he thinks he's in Japan learning karate, but eventually he discovers that he's actually in China learning kung fu. :wink:

Chinatown Kid

If I ever see this I'm sure it's gonna remind me how much better the original was.:nerd:

They must really think the public's genral knowledge of Martial Arts is nill, I would think even a ten year old would know there is a difference between Karate and Kung Fu. :cry:

Guest Markgway
^hip hop and martial arts kind of go hand and hand

Yes, I believe that Shaolin Monks rapped quite a bit between creating the animal styles... :crossedlips:

They must really think the public's genral knowledge of Martial Arts is nill, I would think even a ten year old would know there is a difference between Karate and Kung Fu. :cry:

Well, here with the American public, at least. After all, it's "the land of the free, and the home of the whopper" :sad:

Guest Markgway
well around here and in a good bit of the states it's just culture.... most people that watch kung fu movies are into hip hop..

That's a very presumptuous statement.

I loathe Will Smith as much as the next guy, but wow -- so much vitriol aimed at a film that isn't remotely targeting our demographic. You all understand that not every film to feature martial arts is going to please the ultra hardcore fans of the genre, right? You know, like the original which we probably haven't watched in years because it's not our thing... just like this one?

I'm not overly hyped to see it myself, but I like Jackie in the role so far and it could end up being a decent flick; more to the point, I'm sure kids my nephew's age will eat it up.

But by all means, continue to nitpick a movie that hasn't even been released yet and was never intended to cater to your esoteric whims.

I loathe Will Smith as much as the next guy, but wow -- so much vitriol aimed at a film that isn't remotely targeting our demographic. You understand that not every film to feature martial arts is going to please the ultra hardcore fans of the genre, right? You know, like the original which you probably haven't watched in years because it's not your thing... just like this one?

I'm not overly hyped to see it myself, but I like Jackie in the role so far and it could end up being a decent flick; more to the point, I'm sure kids my nephew's age will eat it up.

But by all means, continue to nitpick a movie that hasn't even been released yet and was never intended to cater to your esoteric whims.

So because a movie isnt targeted towards my demographic that disallows me from giving my opinions on it? Thats pretty stupid if you ask me. Britney Spear's music isnt exactly aimed at my demographic yet that isnt going to stop me from calling it terrible music. A bad piece of art is a bad piece of art.

Anyway i thought the trailer looked alright, i might end up seeing this. The training scenes look pretty good and jackie seems like he can play the role of miyagi well enough. If Jackie's fight with Yu Rongguang is longer than 10 seconds ill be happy.

That's a very presumptuous statement.

well honestly bro a lot of the younger generation that's into fu films is into hip hop.. we'll just have to not agree on this subject. i respect the fact that you're not into it. that's cool it's just not your thing

Guest Markgway
well honestly bro a lot of the younger generation that's into fu films is into hip hop.. we'll just have to not agree on this subject. i respect the fact that you're not into it. that's cool it's just not your thing

Don't get me wrong... I don't think there's anything wrong with liking hip hop AND kung fu. I'm not criticizing that as such... just the near-constant association of the two. Seems that if you like Kung Fu you're forced to take hip-hop with it. From the Wu Tang Clan branding of those Ground Zero discs to stuff like Romeo Must Die and Rush Hour. By all means like both... but they're not one and the same. That's all.

^i understand that i really just think that the music fits the style of movie. in your face action the drums etc i actually think if they just used some hip hop beats sometimes it'd go over better

Archived