Jackie as Miyagi???

Monk Sante

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O dear dear lol

I have no idea why anyone would even think of making a remake of the karate kid, and have no idea why Jackie Chan wants to even be involved in this "project". It would have been better off just creating a brand new film.

Not looking forward to seeing this one released

thelastweaponmaster

I had this belief that in recent years that Jackie has been taking the opportunity and cashing out on his western films. I suspect he is paid considerably more for his films financed by a North American studio, than from his films wholly financed by Hong Kong studios, and as a result, Jackie hasn't been entirely selective in his choice of western films (ie. The Tuxedo, Around the World in 80 Days). I certainly don't blame Jackie as he has certainly worked his way up, deserves his success and has definitely earn the choice of where and what films he wants to make.

I have enjoyed the 'Shanghai noon' and 'Rush Hour' series. I just think his 'Eastern' martial arts films are so much better.

Chinatown Kid

I think Sammo would make a better Miyagi than Jackie but I don't think this film needs to be remade, the first one was good enough.....

I had this belief that in recent years that Jackie has been taking the opportunity and cashing out on his western films. I suspect he is paid considerably more for his films financed by a North American studio, than from his films wholly financed by Hong Kong studios, and as a result, Jackie hasn't been entirely selective in his choice of western films (ie. The Tuxedo, Around the World in 80 Days). I certainly don't blame Jackie as he has certainly worked his way up, deserves his success and has definitely earn the choice of where and what films he wants to make.

I have enjoyed the 'Shanghai noon' and 'Rush Hour' series. I just think his 'Eastern' martial arts films are so much better.

I couldn't agree more but it is really sad seeing Jackie Chan film after Jackie Chan film being at best so disappointing. Well I suppose the good thing is it introduces more people to his older work and that has to be positive.

Jackie's admitted that he only makes US films to finance his Chinese projects.

If this is anything like the original, he hardly has to do anything physical. A nice easy payday for Jackie and we all get Robin B. Hood II: Son of a Bitch! a couple months later.

• Administrator

I'm going to try to be positive about this. I agree that the original doesn't really need a remake, but since they're doing it anyway let's hope for the best.

First of all, they should call it THE KUNG FU KID since it's being shot in China and they're looking at people like Jackie to play the teacher. And if memory serves, I think Mark said as much in his original article reporting on this film. But if people like Will Smith are behind it, it may be better than we expect. Will is a hard working, decent guy with a big heart (raised in a cool cityXD) that usually makes entertaining films. If they do a film about a young boy learning the true meaning, beauty, and power of kung fu, it would be great. A nice film that today's youth could relate to, could introduce a new generation to something we all love.

If this is anything like the original, he hardly has to do anything physical. A nice easy payday for Jackie and we all get Robin B. Hood II: Son of a Bitch! a couple months later.

wahahaha this made me laugh XD

Jackie needs to get back in the director's chair and make a cool traditional chinese kung fu flick. Im sure Jackie can still snake his ass off. Hey Jackie! how about a sequel to 'Snake in the eagle's shadow'? :l

I could have sworn "The Forbidden Kingdom" was close enough to the "Karate Kid" plot to have counted as a Jackie remake

kungfusamurai
I could have sworn "The Forbidden Kingdom" was close enough to the "Karate Kid" plot to have counted as a Jackie remake

Exactly. FK was KK remade! Even the old man Jackie played looked like Pat Morita's Miyagi, except he was harder to understand.

KFS

The good thing about this movie (what little good there is) is that Jackie Chan has the charisma to pull off the teacher. When he wants to be he is funny, engaging and comical. Granted, it may be a family movie us die hard kung fu fans might not enjoy as much as, say, a new "Drunken Master" movie but it may be a fun role for Jackie.

I must say, however, that the remake should be aimed at family audiences only. I don't want any nods toward the martial arts genre. If Will Smith's son ends up eating too many sugary drinks and busting out a kiddie form of drunken boxing I'll probably punch a baby.

Chinatown Kid

This movie will suck, the first one will always be the best. This is just gonna be a G rated sesame street version of the first I'm afraid. If I was gonna recast the role of Miyagi though I would get Shoji Kurata, a real life Karate Master and well known star of the MA genre. I don't know how good his English is but I'm sure he could learn his lines.

• Administrator
If I was gonna recast the role of Miyagi though I would get Shoji Kurata, a real life Karate Master and well known star of the MA genre. I don't know how good his English is but I'm sure he could learn his lines.

Good call! His English is definitely good enough to play this role.

This movie will suck, the first one will always be the best. This is just gonna be a G rated sesame street version of the first I'm afraid. If I was gonna recast the role of Miyagi though I would get Shoji Kurata, a real life Karate Master and well known star of the MA genre. I don't know how good his English is but I'm sure he could learn his lines.

I think Sonny Chiba will be a better pick (he speak good english). :D

• Administrator
I think Sonny Chiba will be a better pick (he speak good english). :D

You guys probably didn't notice I'm a Chiba-san fan...XD, but I still think Kurata-san would make a better choice. He has kinder eyes, and seems more "teacherly". Even at peace, Sonny has that wild look in his eyes. Just my opinion.

How in the fuck do you remake the Karate Kid in China? Has hollywood become so dense that they don't remember the difference? I can't for the life of me understand how Japan, after all the influence it's had over hollywood since the 50's, has become so shunned, first they cast 3 Chinese leads in Memoirs of a Geisha now this, why not just remake the 47 Ronin with an all Chinese cast and film it in China, ridiculous.

Exactly. FK was KK remade! Even the old man Jackie played looked like Pat Morita's Miyagi, except he was harder to understand.

KFS

I thought that Forbidden Kingdom was more of a Neverending Story remake?

But as for this updated Karate Kid remake, it has all the signs of disaster. I try to be optimistic about films that haven't even started shooting, and I think Will Smith makes enjoyable movies, but his son is too young for this. His son is also missing the likability factor that Ralph Maccio had. You can't create charisma.

Just maybe they do rebadge it Kung Fu Kid and have Jackie do Tai Chi in a park or something. The negatives would still outweigh the positives.

Jiu-Jitsu-Dragon

hey you got to figure in an american market there arent too many roles for an aging martial arts master you gotta take what you can get and get paid even if its terrible (the tuxedo anyone?)

I will tell you, I think the bullies' master in KUNG FU KID from the pics I just saw may be played by Yu Rong Guang.

These are set pics from Jackie's Official Site:

48180_2009112210383815.jpg

48180_2009112210383814.jpg

Ouch!!!

48180_200911221038386.jpg

I think that's Wu Gang holding Jaden's foot. Wu Gang is the film's stunt coordinator. He's the new go-to guy for now while JC Stunt Team leader Nicky Li is working on other projects. Aside from Kung Fu Kid, Wu Gang is stunt coordinator of Chan's upcoming Spy Next Door.

Ooooohhh...Will Smith caught playing games on his mobile on set...Film at 11 LOL

48180_2009112210383811.jpg

I saw a pic of Jaden Smith in the new issue of People Magazine and he's got quite a high side kick. Wu Gang definitely taught him well. The pic shows Jaden doing a Ken Lo standing split kick. If he continues down the road with this style of training, I can see him transition well into an adult action star. Wish I had a scan of the photo.

• Administrator
I saw a pic of Jaden Smith in the new issue of People Magazine and he's got quite a high side kick. Wu Gang definitely taught him well. The pic shows Jaden doing a Ken Lo standing split kick. If he continues down the road with this style of training, I can see him transition well into an adult action star. Wish I had a scan of the photo.

Ah, I wish I had started training when I was younger. You reach these extreme levels of flexibility so much quicker and more easily when your young.

I'm certainly much more interested in seeing this than THE SPY NEXT DOOR. At the risk of people getting all nappy, I think this KUNG FU KID might be fun.

Archived