Silly Question about Run Run Shaw...

SamuraiDana

I just learned (in last week's Variety) that Run Run Shaw's wife is none other than Mona Fong, the one who got producer credit on so many Shaw Bros. kung fu classics. (Shaw is 101 now and Mona is 78.) I have the funny feeling that I knew this and then completely forgot it (not that uncommon when you get to be my age. :( )

When did they get married? Was this common knowledge? Did everyone else on the KFC forum know this? If you all did, it's okay to pile on me. :quiet:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They've been married for about a decade now.

I believe they got hitched in Vegas in 1997. No kids though (big surprise there) XD

'97, huh? No wonder I hadn't heard it. Shaw wasn't on my radar at that time. Interestingly, it was the year he turned 90 and the year she turned 68. (Hey, to a 90-year-old, Mona at 68 would still count as a hot chick. I should be so lucky at that age.)

'97 was also the year Hong Kong was handed back to Red China. Is there a symbolic connection there? ;)

Chinatown Kid

Why the hell did they wait so long to get married, at that age why bother? Was Shaw married to another woman right up to the 90's? It was rumored Mona was Shaw's mistress since the 70's.

Why the hell did they wait so long to get married, at that age why bother? Was Shaw married to another woman right up to the 90's? It was rumored Mona was Shaw's mistress since the 70's.

Run Run was married to his first wife for 55 years. He married Wong Mee-chun in 1932 and they had four children (2 boys/2 girls). She died in 1987. Can't comment on the rumors of his infidelity though.

No doubt that Fong was his mistress for many years. It was, and still is very common for married Asian men to have a mistress (unless something has changed since the handover). Divorce is seriously frowned upon, but a paramour isn't seen as "all that big a deal". However, for a married Asian woman to be messing around, that's a different story.XD

GOLDEN DRAGON YIN-YANG

Just asked myself this question after soooooo many years of watching Shaw Brothers:

"Who is Mona Fong"?

Well now I know. What a story. Thanks all you scholars here.

GD Y-Y

Given that Mona Fong has a Producer credit on pretty much every Shaw Brothers movie ever made, I wonder if there is another movie producer out there in the world that has as many films to their credit?

Archived