I think I'm burnt-out from watching Kung Fu movies!

The Dragon

I find like a lot of people have said, it is literally just a case of leaving them until you feel an urge to watch them again.

I don't know about anyone else, but I reached a point with the Bruce Lee films where I had watched them so much over a period of three or four years that I had to just leave them for a couple of years until I could watch them again.

Still love em' though.

me and my freinds call this problem "shapesrot" where you cant watch kung for a while, its get to point where you have see so much movies that i just watch tv fight scenes at the mo, just seen to many movies, but occasionally i will see my young auntie, buddhist fist and that will revive me again.

I was simply giving examples SD, I love Asian cinema of various genre also. Those were not stated to represent all my interests, nor my library.

I stand corrected, but next time add YO YO GIRL COP to your list (the one 21st century movie I can get behind) and I'll be a very happy man indeed. XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccVG_CfPRvI&feature=related

• Administrator
I stand corrected, but next time add YO YO GIRL COP to your list (the one 21st century movie I can get behind) and I'll be a very happy man indeed. XD QUOTE]

This is another example of a great exploitation/B movie that only needed one more thing to make it great- decent martial arts fighting and choreography. Great idea that failed in the execution... IMHO.

• Administrator
Yeah, I must take a peek at that film SD... Kung Fu Bob, do you have it?

I realise I should be asking... lol.

You bet!

Hell, I'm taking a break too right now. I find it's at certain times of year that I watch certain genres more often. Kung fu fever tends to hit in the spring time for me.

Certainly everyone else has the right idea with mixing up your viewing palette. I am about to watch Season 4 of Battlestar Galactica, and am catching up on all the movies I didn't see in the theatre in 2008.

I read books or comics to mix it up (Currently reading Y- The Last Man series, Ex Machina, and FreakAngels). I also have a new guitar(thanks Dad!) to play, a 2 year-old daughter, and I try to go snowboarding whenever possible.

Reading martial arts philosophy also gives another aspect to martial arts movies; The Five Rings or other similar texts are endlessly deep and can provide years of reflection and thought.

Other activities: pulling sleds through the snow like Rocky, writing a non-sucky script for martial-arts related movie, getting in touch with old friends, or developing a taste for drinking expensive alcohol (unless you're under 21 in the States, just to cover my butt).

Agreed. All that finale needed was a Hong Kong action director (like Corey Yuen) to make it a work of art. Still, the girls, popular singers in Japan with sweet and sunny images, showed the right stuff in taking on these parts. The YO YO GIRL COP DVD includes a "Making Of" feature that shows Aya Matsuura, the lead, gamely doing all her own stunts. The action director singles her out for high praise. Somehow I can't imagine Christina Aguilera, Beyonce, Britney, or Alicia Keys taking a part like this and then doing all the stunts! (Of course, if I was Aya's manager, I'd be quite alarmed.)

I'm a big fan of the two leads in YYGC and I have their CDs and concert DVDs. Rika Ishikawa, the bad girl who fights Aya at the end, is in this YouTube clip with another J-pop fave of mine and they sing "Get Wild" the anime theme song from the "City Hunter" series:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPIgTTRMPrA

(I love how Rika handles the English lines.)

shaolin drunkard

One rule is do not pick more than you can watch in reasonable amout of time.if have hundreds waiting to be seen it is too much.

Now I have 60 shaws+some independets+2hundred hollywoods makes me frustrated to choose what to c next.

I am also a little burnt out, collected for years...I've found it to be a waste of time. Don't get me wrong I still like a lot of the greats, but trying to find good Kung Fu movies is almost a joke anymore. I have over 1000 movies but maybe only around 25% of them are worth watching for a 2nd time. We all have our favorites, trying to find something new that is worth watching is another matter. And there lies my problem...:(

I've been taking a break but not by choice, I'm dying to watch an oldschool Shaw movie at the moment.

I find it good to switch it up to some different genres, sometimes I find it necassary to turn the tv and computer off and get outside and do something active like throwing frisbe or lifting a couple 12 oz, of course I know it's cold as balls at the moment for you people up North:angel:

I've 'burnt out' a few times over the years. But I will never give up on my collecting!! Although I've started to be a little more picky with what I part my money for. Whenever I feel 'burn out' I always revert back and watch a few classics, Shaw Bro's, Golden Harvest and such, some Jackie, Silver Fox, Sammo, Gordon Liu....'79 to '85 that always rekindles my appetite.

Bless

Cognoscente
On 1/13/2009 at 2:43 AM, The Dragon said:

I don't know, but I haven't had the desire to view even my "un-watched" stash of Kung Fu movies. I need to find a way to rekindle the desire. Even Bruce films are not doing it for me. I have a wish-list of titles, around 10, which ordinarily, I would have ordered without delay, but have procrastinated for about a month. The last time I've felt this way was around '92, just before I first got introduced to the original Jet Li craze. Any suggestions? I mean I'm not looking to dump my treasures, just seeking a way to spice my interests again.

Does anyone else have the same feelings?

:o

Defence and fitness are good motives to rekindle the desire.

• Like 1