Do John Woo's Red Cliff and Wu Jing's Legendary Assassin have U.S. distributors?

wackiechan

Do you know if John Woo's "Red Cliff" and Wu Jing's "Legendary Assassin" have U.S. distributors?

If they do, then do you think that they will be shown in U.S. film festivals at least? I don't want the usual, stupid thing to happen if "RC" and "LA" go straight to R1 DVD, w/ no screenings in the L.A. area or San Francisco.

I don't know if DD will have the rights to "Legendary Assassin", but I kind of remember DD showing "Flashpoint"(just an okay movie, everybody else seems to like it) in limited U.S. screens. If DD can do that w/ "Flashpoint", then I hope they'll do the same for most of their HK movies, especially the ones w/ Wu Jing.

If it would cost too much money for DD to give limited theatrical releases, then I hope that there will be showings in film festivals, midnight screenings, and others.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kingofkungfu2002

With regards to Red Cliff, it's best to pick up the Hong Kong DVD. I heard that they're going to edit Red Cliff 1&2 together into a single movie for the Western market :(

The Running Man

I would imagine DD would pick of Legendary Assassin but Red Cliff I am very surprised that there hasn't been any word on a US release considering it's a John Woo film.

Perhaps because it's two movies that's holding companies back?

I would imagine DD would pick of Legendary Assassin but Red Cliff I am very surprised that there hasn't been any word on a US release considering it's a John Woo film.

Perhaps because it's two movies that's holding companies back?

I think the reason Red Cliff doesn't have set distribution release here in the US is because a lot of American companies wouldn't know what to do with it. War movies typically don't do well, and if they cut this movie I couldn't think of one person who would want to buy it. I also couldn't think of too many people who would want to sit through a 5 hour plus movie. That leaves releasing it as it was originally released; Red Cliff 1 & 2 as two releases and even though I feel it would be the best option, I don't think a company could figure out how to do that to market both.

The Running Man

They're doing it with both "Che" movies and those are even riskier for companies since Soderbergh wanted to have both movies out as one.

Red Cliff could just be split up like the release in Asia is right now.

But like I said before, and you agree, I think US companies would be hesitant regardless. Shame too, since the first part of Red Cliff is pretty damn solid.

The Amazing Psycho Per

From what I heard, It will be distributed in the western market but in one single condense movie... So if you want to see this integrally, DVD is your best option for now.

The Amazing Psycho Per

Sorry, I remember reading about it, I think it was on Twitch, but it was some time ago and I can't remember if a company was named. Couldn't find the article either... I just remember what I wrote above.

Archived