Foot Fist Way (2006) - Arrrrgh!!!

Chinatown Kid

Chinatown Kid

Just seen this flick recently and it's just what people do not need to think when they have an image of TKD. Sure I know it's a spoof and there are Instructors like this pot bellied Mr. Simmons with ego and delusions of grandour but it's rather humiliating to see your own art made out to look foolish like this. I suppose this could have been nearly any style portrayed in this flick because you can find instructors like this in any style, but the real masters with humility, integrity and true skill that have spent years training in their style i believe would be angered by a film like this if it presented their style as nothing more than a foolish joke. I would like to see TKD portrayed in a more dignified and serious way just as Jiujitsu was portrayed in the film Red Belt, a film I was really impressed with. The inept McDojo instructors with inflated egos who con people and only care about a buck are to blame for films like Foot Fist Way because what the film is spoofing does exist and gives the art a bad image. Looking at it outside of being a student of TKD I understand and appreciate the humour of the film, but on the other had being a practicioner of TKD I can't help but be pissed off too. Wonder what Hwang Jang Lee would think of the film? Probably "Oh hell, is this what my art has degenerated too for real?" lol.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Chinatown Kid- the first time I ever tried training in martial arts was with this guy that IS the role model for the tool instructor in this film, and it WAS a TKD school. I almost turned my back on the arts completely after only one class with this buffoon!

I think TKD is one of the most common arts taught here in the states, so it stands to figure that the more of something there is, the more likely you are to find bad represenatives. I later trained with guys in this art that were professional, talented, honorable people. But, while working on one of my teacher's books I encountered a whole school of TKD idiots. This was such a mass of pompous asses that it was almost like a train wreck you couldn't turn away from. My sensei and I discussed the damage that they were doing to the art, and themselves after we left. And I must say, we were both very distressed about it. But what to do?

I do feel sympathetic to your point of view. My advice is to be the best example of your art that you can be, and try to be a positive influence on all the other (especially, but not exclusively, the younger) students.

In defense of the film: I did think the move he used on his cheating wife at the end was both appropriate and effective, didn't you? XD

Chinatown Kid

That's good advice Bob and your absolutely right, besides you can't control the actions or behaviors of others but only your own from within. I'm sure you can find idiots like this in every style but TKD is one of the world's most popular MA's with alot of schools so it's probably more visable. That act he did on his wife's wedding ring was appropriate for the no good bitch but I was shocked to see in the deleted scenes of the alternate ending that he did something alot more drastic lol!

• Administrator

I've encountered guys training in Jujutsu that were just way too macho, violent, and confrontational. So I know where you're coming from. I felt like I was seeing a small group of family members slandering our good name.

Once I was assigned to take photographs of a certain school for a book I worked on. My sensei (the book's writer) set it up, and told me when to show up at the school. A friend/fellow student came along to assist me with the equipment and holding lights and stuff. When we entered, we removed our shoes, and bowed to the class and the instructor. They all stopped training and stood there staring at us in the most hard-ass way they could muster. Not one or two of the students. All of them, and the teacher. It was like Sonny Chiba walking into the dojo at the beginning of KARATE FOR LIFE, where just the fact that he entered the room made him "the enemy". It was so ridiculously rude that I almost started laughing. I glanced at my friend and he had this weird look on his face as he looked at the instructor. No one greeted us or asked it they could help us with something. I was tempted to say something silly to deflate their drama like "We've come here to avenge our teacher... and you're all going to pay!" in my best dub accent. But I figured my skill wasn't up to taking on 20 odd pissed off guys, so I didn't! XD

Finally I said "Hi, we're here to take the photographs of the class." and the instructor broke into a big friendly smile and trotted over to greet us. Oh. Since it was something that was of benefit to him, he suddenly became very friendly. He greeted my buddy saying "Hey, long time no see...", then started yelling out orders to the students to accomadate us in any way we needed. As we set up the lights I asked my friend what was up. He told me that he'd gone to school with the instructor, and that the guy was a total asshole. He would go to bars just to pick fights, hassle people in general, and was a bully. He had found out that my buddy was a martial artist and used to taunt him to get him to fight, and belittle him when he wouldn't. I hate bullies. This made me want to teach this dude a lesson, but I was there on business. Plus, I wasn't going to mess with the guy in his dojo full of his students.

I explained that for the photos there was no need to apply force or cause pain when demonstrating locks. It was more important to make everything technically sound, and then add in a little face acting. But the instructor instead brutalized each person he demonstrated with. They were tapping out during the photos! He thought this was very funny, and would mock them for their lack of pain endurance. I tried to tell him that the objective was simply to represent the techniques through photographs, not to injure the students. He laughed and said they if they couldn't take it, they didn't belong there. But, I insisted, the photos won't look as good if they're shaking and trembling from the pain. I need to have a nice, focused shot. He didn't care. That wasn't the thing that was important to him. Showing off and causing pain to others was his kick.

Once I saw my sensei I complained about this, and told him that I didn't think we should use the photos. Although the shots came out fine, I didn't want them to get a chance to shine in the spotlight. I didn't think they deserved to represent their style. But due to time constraints I was told that we would be using those photos.

It makes me sick that they are still in business and spreading their message of savagery to students (who will also pass this on) every day. But what can we do about it? We can't control other people's actions (outside of a fight!), so it's best to just lead by example. There will always be those that train because they like to hurt others, and those that train for self defense, exercise, and simply for the art of it.

From what I know about you Chinatown Kid, you are one of the latter- a man of skill and honor, that's representing your chosen art in a way that would make it's creators quite proud.

odioustrident

Foot Fist Way pokes fun at small town life, and the TKD/dojo element is there to show how disconnected some parts of middle America are from the real world. It doesn't try to speak to any martial arts training, but more some people's interpretation of it.

I know what you mean though... I hope this comedic focus doesn't overshadow the real practice of the arts, but Foot Fist Way does end with some endearing ideas about discipline etc....

Chinatown Kid.You said"I would like to see TKD portrayed in a more dignified and serious way just as Jiujitsu was portrayed in the film Red Belt, a film I was really impressed with."

What about Best of the Best.I loved that movie and the ending was very humbling.

As far as Foot Fist Way is concerned,I thought it was hilarious because I know people like that.Dont take it to serious.I dont think it was meant to offend anyone.Just typical American humor at someone elses expense.

Chinatown Kid

Interesting story Bob and thanks for the kind words man. And you guys are right, I should look at the film more lightheartedly instead of as an attack on TKD. I guess it is making fun of certain people's attitudes and personalities and not the Martial Arts themselves.

Interesting story Bob and thanks for the kind words man. And you guys are right, I should look at the film more lightheartedly instead of as an attack on TKD. I guess it is making fun of certain people's attitudes and personalities and not the Martial Arts themselves.

I thought it was a seriously funny film. Its more about him than what he is practising.

nd how funny is that whole "chuck the truck" thing.

Chinatown Kid

It did have some funny and odd characters in it, the dude playing Chuck the Truck didn't seem to have any skills whatsoever and i didn't really like his character, and the Simmons character seemed to be doubled whenever he was shown kicking and he looked to be out of shape. All the GD's and four letter words being spoken in front of the kids kind of suprised me though. The blondheaded young guy who acted so sinister and weird was rather funny. And the teenage boy with the self confidence problem was someone you wanted to root for and it was enjoyable to see him kick the longhaired band member that kept taunting him, also when he sparred the over-aggressive guy in his class and finally gave the dude some of his own medicine with some nice kicks. The woman that played the slut wife of simmons did a great job playing that part, she had a smoking hot body too. XD The poor Hulio kid I felt sorry for the way Simmons treated him. If any of those so called masters/champions in that flick came to my TKD school though they would get laughed out the door. I don't know if they where just actors though with no actual MA skill in real life, if that's the case then it would not be fair to judge them. They did play their comic parts well though and should be applauded for that. I think a film in this vein spoofing MMA's would be good as they have some really colorful characters in that sport.

SlothStyleKungFu

Ehhhh, lighten up.

I mean, first of all, you acknowledge that it is ripping on McDojo culture. "I would like to see TKD portrayed in a more dignified and serious way..." Awesome, good for you, but there isn't anything funny about that, and Foot Fist Way is a comedy, a pitch black one. Especially having grown up in the South and witnessing the strip mall & mail order martial boom that exploded in the 80's , it was especially funny what they did in the flick.

countdante.jpg

I find people take martial culture far too serious and stone-faced sacred equally bad and semi-delusional as the inflated faux Grandmasters. You've gotta' have that middle ground. So, on that note I will offer you, truly, the best self defense course...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

i recommended that to you kid. sorry and i didnt think it would get you hot, but i do know where you come from. I think we all have encountered schools like that at one time. that's why i thought it to be so funny. plus i get a big kick out of danny mcbride.

the commentary explained that many of the people working on the film were martial artists, or have trained in the past. i think the dude with the black gi was a 3rd degree.

and bob...let me put on my gi, call a couple of my buddies, and "check this jiujitsu school out". INTERNET GRAPPLE! yeah...jiujitsu schools (despite me loving the art) and mma gyms get on my nerves big time. im thankful to say that i train in a gym where that behavior is not tolerated

also...despite popular belief...count dante was a bad fuckin' dude, even though he was a coked up hair dresser. check out the dojo wars in chicago in the late 60's. he also held the first open karate tournament here in chicago. there is a doc about his life coming soon

Chinatown Kid
Ehhhh, lighten up.

I mean, first of all, you acknowledge that it is ripping on McDojo culture. "I would like to see TKD portrayed in a more dignified and serious way..." Awesome, good for you, but there isn't anything funny about that, and Foot Fist Way is a comedy, a pitch black one. Especially having grown up in the South and witnessing the strip mall & mail order martial boom that exploded in the 80's , it was especially funny what they did in the flick.

countdante.jpg

I find people take martial culture far too serious and stone-faced sacred equally bad and semi-delusional as the inflated faux Grandmasters. You've gotta' have that middle ground. So, on that note I will offer you, truly, the best self defense course...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Ehhh, did you happen to read my previous posts above yours? I already said I was looking at the film the wrong way and would take it more lightheartedly, no need to preach to me. I'm not some MA that takes his self way to seriously with no sense of humor like your trying to make out, I just respect the art I practice that's all. Then I see the buffoons in this film representing the style I practice and it just erks me a little that people will get the idea most TKD teachers and schools are like this, which is not true. But dude, it really doesn't bother me that bad, I was just starting a thread to see what other people thought and admitted I saw the humor in it.

Chinatown Kid
i recommended that to you kid. sorry and i didnt think it would get you hot, but i do know where you come from. I think we all have encountered schools like that at one time. that's why i thought it to be so funny. plus i get a big kick out of danny mcbride.

the commentary explained that many of the people working on the film were martial artists, or have trained in the past. i think the dude with the black gi was a 3rd degree

No man I'm glad you recommended it to me and i did enjoy it despite feeling a little uneasy about the people in it being TKD practioners lol. If you can't laugh at yourself and your art sometimes then your in bad shape, and the stuff in the movie does ring true about some people in TKD. :nerd:

RIP CARLOS LOPEZ IV...

Sadly, the actor (and stuntman on various films) from FOOT FIST WAY (he's one of Danny's students in the movie) has passed away while doing a parkour stunt (not for a film, but on his own).

Here's a clip of him beating up a band member at a party in FOOT FIST WAY:

ZgYyuoP2a5s

Archived