Opium Glitch?

reason108

Just bought Opium and the Kung Fu Master on dvd. The packing and extras are nice. But, partially through the movie, where Robert Mak`s character goes to retrieve Brother An from the opium den, the screen flashes white, for about 3 seconds or so. I know that this flash is not part of the movie. Not sure if it is a problem with just the dvd that I bought or in the production of the disc from the manufacturer. Was just wondering if anyone else had that same problem or not.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dear say Killer Meteor won't be happy!

Hmm, seems like a digital attack. Hopefully someone can confirm if theirs does this, but it would be a bit sad if it affects all copies.

Yeah, I was gonna ask, until he said DVD in the post. reason108?

So it could well be an unusual (unless I'm naive) defect on the one batch.

It is only the regular DVD version that I have seen, purchased through Amazon. The glitch happens about 36:45 into the movie and lasts about 1 to 2 seconds. It is a see-through/cloudy white overlay. Not sure how to describe it really. It just appears and covers the whole screen but you can see through it. At first, I thought it was one of those "style" choices like what Chang Cheh liked to use...like where the whole screen turns red or to black and white. But, it isnt a part of the movie though, since it just flashes on the screen and covers the whole image, outside of the black bars at the top and bottom.

I have played the movie on both my computer and dvd player so the problem is clearly on the disc.

Mine has this glitch. Really annoying.

Despite the many extras, progressive flagging on the main film and inclusion of all 3 languages in mono, I'm afraid to say I still consider it a half-baked DVD with the same subtitles as before (which can't be removed during the feature either) and interlaced extras.

Killer Meteor
Mine has this glitch. Really annoying.

Despite the many extras, progressive flagging on the main film and inclusion of all 3 languages in mono, I'm afraid to say I still consider it a half-baked DVD with the same subtitles as before (which can't be removed during the feature either) and interlaced extras.

You need to stop worrying about interlaced features. You'll never sleep at night

On the other hand, the glitch GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

You need to stop worrying about interlaced features. You'll never sleep at night

Whilst I won't lose sleep, it is annoying and I won't stop mentioning it until such companies get the message that I won't tolerate the ghosting or missing lines.

Killer Meteor
Whilst I won't lose sleep, it is annoying and I won't stop mentioning it until such companies get the message that I won't tolerate the ghosting or missing lines.

Well if they do the film right, why would an interlaced extra stop you buying it?

Well if they do the film right, why would an interlaced extra stop you buying it?

No it wouldn't, but it doesn't mean I'll tolerate slacking off, or forgetting/forsaking it. I'll still pull it up everytime.

I played my IVL of this film, and didn't see the glitch. I went to that scene mentioned earlier, and watched the film to the end and, nothing. The story was cool though, about everyone being hooked on opium. Ti Lung looked a little beefy here.

Well I still can't find this in stores. I guess I will have to get like $100 visa card from Safeway and buy this & Life Gamble. Yes that is Right I said Life Gamble. Even though I would LOVE to have the English dub. From the LG thread it looks like BCI or whoever did a good job with that one!

Hopefully the DVD I get will not have this so call glitch.

Killer Meteor
I've got the DVD and don't remember any glitches

What we need is a screenshot of the glitch. some copies may be OK, and it may be pressing rather master issue

For an example, this type of glitch was on my HKL DVD of Project A II, at the layer change, and was because the disc pressing had failed. overtime the disc got worse

I got a new disc and no problems

masterofoneinchpunch
What we need is a screenshot of the glitch. some copies may be OK, and it may be pressing rather master issue

For an example, this type of glitch was on my HKL DVD of Project A II, at the layer change, and was because the disc pressing had failed. overtime the disc got worse

I got a new disc and no problems

I watched this movie this weekend and it has the glitch as mentioned exactly as reason108 states in his second description. Argh.

Quick notes: two of the interviews are in English without English subs (I tend to like subs even for English features if they are written correctly). I love the Lee Hoi Sang extra (it is in Cantonese so it is subtitled and is about twice as long as the other two). The interviews on the media-blasters titles of Chen Kuan-Tai are more in depth.

Archived