Favourite Non-Kung Fu Shaw Films

Graeme Noble

Graeme Noble

List some of your favourite non-Kung Fu Shaw Brothers films. Here is my short list:

KIDNAP - lo lieh can really act, and this hard hitting drama delivers on intensity and strong acting performances.

MILLIONAIRE CHASE - fun musical with some nice comedy thrown in. lily ho looks as glamerous as ever, and this is entertainment delivered.

ROLLS ROLLS I LOVE YOU - great comedy with some well planned out fun chase scenes. chin siu ho is great here in a non-fighting role.

LETS MAKE LAUGH - fantastic funny comedy with kenny bee. great cameo from anita mui, and this is as good as the lucky stars but with depth.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really loved The Enchanting Shadow. I thought it was a beautifiully filmed, slow-paced, very atmospheric, traditional Chinese ghost story. I imagine it would come across as a bit slow and non-scary to many, but it was right up my alley.

THE BLUE AND THE BLACK PT. 1 (1966) - wartime melodrama

DIAU CHARN (1958) - historical drama/Huangmei opera

THE KINGDOM AND THE BEAUTY (1959) - historical romance/huangmei opera

THE MAGNIFICENT CONCUBINE (1960) - powerful historical drama

LOVE ETERNE (1963) - huangmei opera

BLUE SKIES (1967) - musical drama

HONG KONG RHAPSODY (1967) - musical

THE ASSASSIN (1967) - a swordplay movie with minimal swordplay, more like a classic samurai film in its variation on the theme of "giri-ninjo" (duty vs. humanity).

YOUNG PEOPLE (1972) - has some kung fu in it, but only at a college tournament. It's got musical numbers and an extensive basketball game.

Shaolin temple (Jet li)

Master of the flying guillotine

Ninja checkmate

Death duel of kung fu

Fist of legend

ong bak

drunken master

war of the shaolin temple

more to come..

Ummm, I think you mis-read the thread title as "Favorite non-Shaw kung fu films."

Archived