High Kick Girl (2009)

AlbertV

I saw the poster and trailer for this new martial arts film.

The star, 17-year old Rina Takeda, is a black-belt in karate. The plot is pretty standard, a young woman trains in karate and takes on a group of secret fighters with the help of her sensei. The film is directed by Fuyuhiko Nishi, whose previous screen work includes Kura-Obi and the Hollywood action film Honor.

highkickgirlbanner.jpg

Teaser trailer:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lZjLCZ4xFk

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I was able to find another pic from the movie plus I just added the link to the teaser trailer via Youtube :) Sorry about that guys, I thought it would come out.

Chinatown Kid

If this film is anywhere near as good as Kura-Obi then it will be worth seeing. Black Belt was a class film.....

Yeha but I like how Rina kinda does the Tony Jaa-like spinning kick to the karate guy near the end of the trailer. Should be a fun film to watch.

Wish I still had my Shin Karate Baka Ichidai DVDs though :(

They were two V-Cinema karate films I had on DVD and they starred Masaru Nagai (Mirai Sentai Time Ranger) as a karate expert. In the first film, he enters a tournament run by the Yakuza to make some money and ends up taking on Masa Funaki in the finale. The Yakuza are so pissed that in Part 2, they beat the expert's best buddy up but in the meantime, the expert learns a thing or two about the true nature of Japanese martial arts by sparring with a judo expert (Rikiya Yasuoka) who was an old friend of his father's. In the finale, he takes on the Yakuza enforcer, played by wrestling legend Keiji Muto, aka The Great Muta and Shining Wizard.

Shot on video but pretty good IMO. The fights kind of remind me of the fights seen here a bit in High Kick Girl.

• Administrator
They were two V-Cinema karate films I had on DVD and they starred Masaru Nagai (Mirai Sentai Time Ranger) as a karate expert.

Thanks for the info Albert! They sound like fun.

Rina Takeda is the actress who is playing the High Kick Girl. Not sure what her character name is.

vismistananda
Rina Takeda is the actress who is playing the High Kick Girl. Not sure what her character name is.

I see, thanks mate. I was searching her true name but couldn\'t get any luck.

I hope they released this film on my country.

:)

I just watched High Kick Girl on you tube and have to say that I would have been so pissed if I had bought the DVD. It's an absolutely awful movie and even though I knew there with going to be plenty of slow motion and doubled takes ,but the whole movie is practically in slow-motion. I really can't understand why they did that? It would make more sense to use it sparingly on a really special move but they were doing it with any old rubbish. And don't get me started on on the double takes when we had just seen a move in slow-motion then a double take. The mind boggles what they were thinking.

Practically High Kick Girl is half a movie with the other half taken over by a ridiculously long slow-motion sequences. I reckon if they took 99 per cent of the slow-motion and double takes out of the movie and all the fight sequences were shown at regular pace the movie would be between 35 and 45 minutes long roughly. I also think it would have been far more enjoyable rather than the dross it clearly is. That 's the frustration you can see there's some good stuff they just ruined in slow motion.

I have to say I don't think it's worth watching unless the film was released again with all the fights and action at the correct speed. Ok it would be over before you know it but it would certainly be a more satisfying experience. You only need to see the short training video also on you tube to see how much better the film could have looked.

Anyway on the positive side Rina Takeda looks great and I could happily watch more films with her kicking ass. It's just a shame this movie wasted all that good material. It's just a shame.

One Armed Boxer
Anyway on the positive side Rina Takeda looks great and I could happily watch more films with her kicking ass. It's just a shame this movie wasted all that good material. It's just a shame.

I understand your frustrations with the slow motion and double takes in 'High Kick Girl'...thankfully though they seemed to rectify that problem with the second movie 'Karate Girl'...you can check out my thoughts on it in this thread, post 39 -

http://www.kungfucinema.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12389&page=4

daisho2004

OK Thanks Takuma, that means in the near future it will get a US release, Hopefully!

Archived