Life Gamble NOW IN stock...

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Come on T! Put Bobo out of his misery:)! Dub dub dub dub!!I should be able to order mine jeeust shortly maybe - at Amazon Marketplace.

Can't watch as I'm at work. Will let you guys know this evening.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My DVD copy contains an English sub but only a mandarin track. There is not an audio menu available and no alternate audio tracks once in the film.

My DVD copy contains an English sub but only a mandarin track. There is not an audio menu available and no alternate audio tracks once in the film.
Yes, it is what it is I'm afraid.

As clayk mentioned.... only one audio track.

No English Dub. No commentary track.

The interviews run:

Lo Mang - 7 1/2 minutes

Ku Feng - 17 minutes

Li Yi Min - 8 1/2 minutes

Sun Shu Pei - 9 1/2 minutes

Robert Tai - 2 minutes

The packaging itself is nice. Comes w/ 20 page booklet with some photos and liner notes by RM.

Haven't compared the disc itself with the IVL, so I can't comment on the quality or subs.

Was really looking forward to that commentary track though. What happened Cliff?

bci.jpg

What a lovely work-top you have T. Thanks!

Cover-wise, the poster blends in very well and the pink carries onto the other side. I wouldn't have put the same picture on the spine and the back, but it's overall excellent!

If the subs contain grammar errors, slight mis-timing or other little things like that, then they'll probably be the same. Here's a clip from magicpoe himself of the previous release.

Again, it would be preferable to have re-done subtitles on the film (and extras if there's none), the English dub (for some viewers of course) and progressive flagging for the film-based extras (if any are interlaced). However, the amount of interviews are simply overwhelming for this type of disc and that booklet too. The extras are really impressive, as will the film's AV presentation be too - progressive and mono state.

Well done gentlemen and thanks.

Overall a very nice package. I would have loved a dub track, but with the circumstances being as they are, this is definitely better than nothing.

Watched the interviews. Good stuff.

Ku Feng was probably the most compelling. You really felt for him when he spoke of acting at his age and how some look down on it. He was very passionate about his long career and spoke of how if you're not doing something with your life, then you might as well be dead.

LYM spoke at length of his injuries. He also reiterated what Toby Russell has mentioned in the past -- how he really doesn't think about filmmaking and how he never saw any of his films in the theaters.

Sun Shu Pei put to rest the legendary Venoms vs LKL crew fight.

LM was standard info and Tai's was all too brief.

Props to Toby who, I believe, did all these interviews (though I'm not 100%).

Thanks for the preview on that clayk and teako170.

The commentary track was going to be a nice one. That's unfortunate. Also for the lack of English dub but I think had BCI not closed we would have seen some of the things this release is missing.

Artwork is nice. They included that photo I see.

Looking at teako170's photo. See the 5 men standing together. That is a recent picture of, from left to right, Yu Tai Ping, Sun Chien, Robert Tai, Li Yi Men, and Bruce Tong.

The Running Man

Do the interviews on this disc have the annoying audio problems that Opium and The Kung Fu Master had? The problem on that one was that it basically sounded like crap and was very harsh on the ears. :(

Do the interviews on this disc have the annoying audio problems that Opium and The Kung Fu Master had? The problem on that one was that it basically sounded like crap and was very harsh on the ears. :(

Haven't seen BCI's Opium so can't compare. Looks like they were using the camera mic (which is not a good idea).

To all you budding filmmakers out there, always use a boom or lav - never cam mic.

Anyhow, lot of buzz /noise on LM.

Ku Feng piece was shot in busy/loud restaurant, so camera was very close to him (hence, cam mic), which caused image to go in/ out focus.

LYM was done outside as was Tai. Other was shot indoors.

Again, it was just nice to see some of these cats talking about what it was like back in the day so it was easy to overlook the negatives.

Killer Meteor
Haven't seen BCI's Opium so can't compare. Looks like they were using the camera mic (which is not a good idea).

To all you budding filmmakers out there, always use a boom or lav - never cam mic.

Anyhow, lot of buzz /noise on LM.

Ku Feng piece was shot in busy/loud restaurant, so camera was very close to him (hence, cam mic), which caused image to go in/ out focus.

LYM was done outside as was Tai. Other was shot indoors.

Again, it was just nice to see some of these cats talking about what it was like back in the day so it was easy to overlook the negatives.

Sounds like the typical Toby Russel inteview. His one with Ng See Yuen had more dutch tilts than a Batman episode!

Guest Markgway

How many times do these guys get interviewed?

Hardly ever.

Surely worth the extra effort to do it right?

A bit of professionalism costs very little.

Yes, that's the problem with these types of interviews - they're just handycam jobs, but I can appreciate Toby getting in contact with people and asking questions many of us are interested in - I don't suppose people will be carrying a professional camera around all the time on them if someone's spotted by chance, but it doesn't hurt to have an HD camera with a boom mike if the interview's not shot on a whim - it's a far preferable option. DVDs and especially Blu-rays will work better as will their TVs that are 16:9 most of the time (better quality, control over settings, etc).

Soulblade didn't edit Roy Horan's one on 'Snuff Bottle' so it just begins as he's cleaning his specs:nerd:! Not very professional. BCI tries here to make it looking better with the better title cards and actual editing.

How many times do these guys get interviewed?

Hardly ever.

Surely worth the extra effort to do it right?

A bit of professionalism costs very little.

Yeah I can sympathize with you. But who knows what the situations were for these interviews. The key is a controlled environment. Once you have that, a two-cam setup with lavs, some good (or natural) lighting and a little mis-en-scene (set dressing) is all you need.

All in all, it was just very cool to see these guys (esp. Ku Feng & LYM whom I've never seen interviewed before). Going to email Toby to see how much more footage was shot and if we'll get the chance to see it down the road.

Notice Mark Houghton walking by and saying Hi to Mr Ku Feng?

Is that who walked by? I know Ku saw someone mid-interview and said hello but couldn't recall if you actually saw the person or if they were off-camera.

These interviews are just the tip of the iceberg. They interviewed a truck load of folks - and some very unique locations. Hopefully we'll get to see more in the near future.

The Running Man
These interviews are just the tip of the iceberg. They interviewed a truck load of folks - and some very unique locations. Hopefully we'll get to see more in the near future.

All with the nastiest audio ever I bet.

Sheesh.... what a waste.

kungfusamurai

It's a shame that with the money at their disposal (Toby's not broke, I'm assuming), they couldn't put something reasonable together. You wouldn't even have to invest $2000 in good equipment, like two cameras for two angles and to ensure that if one fails the other is still working, mics that could be clipped on the interviewer and interviewee, mini tripods for the cameras if there are issues with focus and steadiness, and a light if extra lighting is required. It's not like these actors do interviews all the time. Who knows, one day they might be willing to talk, the next they don't want to have anything to do with their past. Kudos to the guys getting the interviews, though. But if you're going to do it, do it right, because it may be the only on-record video documentation you will get from the actor. :)

KFS

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

Just ordered this title. I'm hoping they've possibly retranslated the english subtitles. It might be a pipe dream to hope for but we can always dream. I'm always disappointed when R1 releases do not include the english dubs as an audio selection. Especially on this disc as well as Bells Of Death. Big disappointment. They're obtainable. The interviews alone are worth the price of the disc, agreed. Ku Fengs the man.

Archived