Life Gamble NOW IN stock...

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man if Hkflix is correct it will NOT have the english dub. Did this show on that kung fu hd channel with the english dub???

Thanks!

yes--from what i've been told LIFE GAMBLE played on the KUNGFU HD channel with the uncut english dub. all my questions about this to CLIFF(BCI man) went unanswered-- we have to wait for the actual release so it can be verified one way or the other.

Killer Meteor
yes--from what i've been told LIFE GAMBLE played on the KUNGFU HD channel with the uncut english dub. all my questions about this to CLIFF(BCI man) went unanswered-- we have to wait for the actual release so it can be verified one way or the other.

Well the man is no longer part of BCI...

I'm 98% certain it will have the dub - plus I'm 100% certain this will ship.

The disc was done well before the floor fell out at BCI.

thought i'd just mention that i just got a reply back from hkflix---there is NO english dub on the bci release of LIFE GAMBLE--so there you have it--incompetence--they do a good job on OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER and drop the ball on this one. QUESTION--how does kungfu hd get the full english dub but bci can't find a copy--hint to bci-you should have recorded the tv version and used it as your own. no surprise that they folded up- making decisions like this.

I provided BCI with:

A set of High Quality scans of the Hong Kong Lobby Cards for Life Gamble including the English/Chinese plot synopsis.

High res/quality scan of the original poster. My poster was scanned section by section and assembled using Photoshop.

Before KungFu HD started showing the full dubbed version, I sent a DVD copy of the faded widescreen dub version we all have to Cliff. Cliff said they would try to acquire the full dub from Celestial directly but if they couldn't get it they would add the dub from the DVD I sent. I received an email from Cliff a few weeks after that and he said that Celestial did not have the English dub for Life Gamble. Month or so later I hear that the fully dubbed version of Life Gamble is showing on KungFu HD. I emailed Cliff about it but I didn't hear anything back. I think things were going south with BCI by that point so maybe he wasn't able get the dub from Celestial before BCI closed up shop.

Maybe Cliff will post here on the details of why the dub wasn't included. Maybe the quality of the audio on the faded dub print wasn't good enough to include on the DVD. It is bad I'd admit.

Damn, MagicPoe that is just crazy that they could not have at least included the 'existing' english dub. I just don't understand why they/others are not able to include the Eng dub's when they are easy to get a hold of.

Thanks for the info!

Killer Meteor
thought i'd just mention that i just got a reply back from hkflix---there is NO english dub on the bci release of LIFE GAMBLE--so there you have it--incompetence--they do a good job on OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER and drop the ball on this one. QUESTION--how does kungfu hd get the full english dub but bci can't find a copy--hint to bci-you should have recorded the tv version and used it as your own. no surprise that they folded up- making decisions like this.

I don't think decision has anything do with it. The discs may have been finished sometime ago for a locked-in release date, and I think the blame should lie with Celestial, not BCI, for failing to supply the dub. I also suggest Bobo, that you grow up

hey---i tell it like it is----i think its time people stopped making excuses for incompetence--do it right or don't do it at all. i mean there are absolutely no --i repeat NO excuses for making such poor decisions.

No inside info, but I think Magicpoe hit upon it exactly.

hey---i tell it like it is----i think its time people stopped making excuses for incompetence--do it right or don't do it at all. i mean there are absolutely no --i repeat NO excuses for making such poor decisions.

I think when the disc is locked and the company is going out of business, then no it's not their fault, coupled with the fact that shelf space is impossible to get and if you blow a street window B/M stores often won't stock your products anymore. Blu-ray also is a newer tech than DVD, it's more expensive to make and the amount of facilities that do disc replication are infinitely less (along with quality control checks), it's not as simple as just adding on an extra audio stream (keep in mind there are DVD and Blu-ray versions).

I like the English dub, but I'm also happy there is a Venoms film on Blu-ray. You should be happy about that. I was 3 months from getting Hong Kong Godfathers on Blu-ray how do you think I feel. Still, it's not like I don't have a job now like Cliff. It's better he got it out than it never coming out. For that I would thank him, not stab him in the back and bad mouth him like Caesar.

I'll still wait for someone here who aquires it eventually rather then

hkflix to confirm an english dub or not before starting a witch hunt..

Question: Does the Opium regular dvd version suffer from the

usual ghosting issues from the ivl dvds?

If not and the same is the case for Life Gamble it will still be worth

upgrading or purchasing it for the first time dub or not imo.

• Administrator

Regardless of whether or not they were included, I just want to say to Magicpoe- Thanks for allthe efforts you made to see that this disc came with cool extras. I sure do appreciate that.;)

Dub or no dub, I'm excited to see a Shaw bros release. Given that the company putting out just closed their doors, we're lucky to see this. I passed on the IVL DVD, so I'm a bit curious about the film. I'm not the biggest Venoms fan. As long as the story has some meat to it & the choreography is solid, I'll be happy. How's Fu Sheng in this one?

It's possible the lack of re-subtitling also falls under the fact the DVD could have been made quickly.

I would have liked 'Life Gamble' with the old dub, but maybe if the titles were go elsewhere, it could get reissued (same with 'Opium') with fixes of problems (low-bitrate, the interview quality, subtitles). Glimpses of formerly-owned Miramax titles are eagerly awaited at my end and others, such as The Running Man.

magicpoe has evidently been brilliant with both BCI and MB. Thank you.

I'll still wait for someone here who aquires it eventually rather then

hkflix to confirm an english dub or not before starting a witch hunt..

Question: Does the Opium regular dvd version suffer from the

usual ghosting issues from the ivl dvds?

If not and the same is the case for Life Gamble it will still be worth

upgrading or purchasing it for the first time dub or not imo.

Agreed. I think we should hold back certain comments until it's properly confirmed as they could be reading from artwork or something. Reason being BCI hadn't listed 'Opium's languages in full - something perhaps avoided incase a soundtrack ends up not available and leads to false specs.

Like yourself, one of the main reasons I'm supporting these releases is because they'll be eradicated of ghosting and maintain the original frames with no interlacing either (on the main feature anyway). Mono is also good (it's become a standard for the more informed distributor like MB, DD, IVL+, etc). I ordered 'Opium' last week, but held off 'Life Gamble' incase there was a problem with the release altogether.

Just the subtitle issue that's shit and I really wish that was sorted. Maybe Cliff can explain what happened on it?

hey teako, get your copy of life gamble yet?

Not yet. Was suppose to get a comp copy from BCI for material I sent them but since the situation has changed there, I decided to play it safe and have it pre-ordered @ HKFlix.

At this point its probably OK to mention this. Originally, we were discussing having my Philly interview with Lo Mang included on this disc. It got bumped to a later release as other material became available for LG. Needless to say, my interview is now in limbo but its really irrelevant taking into account that Cliff and others have lost their jobs. Fu is important to us all but I think putting food on the table takes precedence.

At the end of the day, food, clothes, and shelter is all that's important.

I pre-ordered my blu-ray copy from deepdiscount and I'll wait to see for myself if the dub is on it. If it's not, well life goes on.

Got it! It actually arrived at my job on Saturday but didn't get it until this morning. Haven't been able to check it out though. Has a nice little booklet - including the 5 Guys Pic. I was right MP - it was Bruce Long! :D

Come on T! Put Bobo out of his misery:)! Dub dub dub dub!!

I should be able to order mine jeeust shortly maybe - at Amazon Marketplace.

Archived