your full screens replaced by IVL/WS

mantis FIST

Happy New year all.

I was going thru my collection and making an updated list. I was wondering what ya'll did with your Shaws that you had Full Screen and on VHS once you got the IVL W/S version. I have kept all of mine, but I am not really sure why. ;)

I guess it is so I could have both versions, but really is there a reason to keep your shitty quality versions when they have been replaced with nice, clear wide screen prints?

Just a thought....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaolin drunkard

I have my old dutch&uk pre-bbfc vhs releases like 8 diagram pole fighter,shaolin challenges ninja,men from the monastery,four riders etc... transfered to dvd-r.It`s kinda nostalgic to watch full screen english dubbed 5 element ninjas(quality on dutch tape was lot better than shit yankee bootleg).

Happy New year all.

I was going thru my collection and making an updated list. I was wondering what ya'll did with your Shaws that you had Full Screen and on VHS once you got the IVL W/S version. I have kept all of mine, but I am not really sure why. ;)

I guess it is so I could have both versions, but really is there a reason to keep your shitty quality versions when they have been replaced with nice, clear wide screen prints?

Just a thought....

Well, my Southgate English-dubbed VHS release of CHINATOWN KID has about 25 more minutes of the film than the Celestial/IVL DVD. (And the VHS is widescreen, as well.) Sounds like a good reason to me to keep it.

Besides, it's always interesting to keep different versions, to note what's been cut for different markets. Also, the old Rainbow transfers of very old Shaw Bros. films (e.g. my copy of TWIN SWORDS, 1965) look much closer to the way the actual films looked than the restored, remastered versions do. That's the thing that's always bothered me about the new Shaw transfers--they look very little like the way the films looked when they played Chinatown theaters in the U.S. The disc of ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN included a docu. on Chang Cheh as a special feature and it included all sorts of unrestored clips from his films, including one from ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN that looked to me exactly the way the film would have looked on a print that had been kicking around Chinatown theaters for a number of years. I felt nostalgic looking at that clip and for a moment I kind of wished they'd simply made a transfer from that rather than making a digitally remastered edition.

I still have all of my straight from TV VHS tapes, but I trashed most of my fullscreen DVDs. The tapes really aren't mine to throw away.

I only have one VHS - 'Shaolin Challenges Ninja'. VHS/analog has a quality that can't replace digital :).

If Celestial didn't remove the grain, they'd look more like films (they need to get it into their head that it will take away sharpness). Sure, I can see why people don't like the films cleaned up as they look a little 'abnormal'.

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The only versions of VHS or DVDs full screen I've kept are ones that were not released by Celestial or english dubbed versions. There have been a few balls dropped by companies releasing R1 versions of Shaws as to selection. The Lizard? Kiss Of Death? etc. These are great for hardcore collectors but misgivings for people being introduced to Shaws martial arts films. IMO Not to say these companies haven't released some fantastic flicks, but the R1 market is probably just to small anyway. Hopefully Image and AnimEigo, etc follow through and continue releasing these films, otherwise... goodbye to R1 Shaws in the future.

Archived