Opium and the Kung Fu Master (Bluray)

Shaolin Demon

Shaolin Demon

My order for the bluray version of Opium and the Kung Fu Master just shipped from Amazon. Can I get a big "HELL YEAH!!!!"?

I hope more of the defunct BCI titles make it out.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this means there is hope for the BCI's yet. I will be buying the DVD version tomorrow if I can find it at Fry's!

David Levine
actually it's called FYE,what it stands for is FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT.

Different chain. Fry's is a pretty large electronics chain - at least on the West Coast.

shaolin drunkard

That`s nice prices for blue-ray discs.Going to get both even as not own player atm but one day surely...

Guest Markgway

Contains a trailer for The 14 Amazons... Let's hope they've already put that one into production.

Aren't BCI and Navarre the same company? Beaver gives the impression that they're unrelated - or am I misreading the text?

Ooh, are these Region-coded btw?

David Levine
Contains a trailer for The 14 Amazons... Let's hope they've already put that one into production.

It wasn't. Just Opium and Life Gamble.

Aren't BCI and Navarre the same company? Beaver gives the impression that they're unrelated - or am I misreading the text?

Navarre bought BCI in November of 2003. Navarre shut down BCI completely in December of 2008. I believe Navarre will continue to distribute (and probably manufacture) BCI titles that were completed at the time of closing.

These Blu-Ray discs seems to need dual-layer (although I understand if it's budget issues) as compression is visible, but yes, there's been no coverage of 'Life Gamble'. I'm having a bit of trouble finding somewhere that has it in stock for a UK guy like me to buy.

As tempting as the Blu-Ray is (I don't even have a player!), I may have to get the DVDs for now. Hell, I might upgrade later :).

Morgoth Bauglir

I went to look for this at Best Buy yesterday and they didn't have it in yet. So I checked the computer in the store and it wasn't listed. But reading this thread it looks like it has come out. Great news. I can't wait to get it.

'Opium' was said to be a shit film before, but it seems to have picked up a new following and is highly recommended.

• Administrator
'Opium' was said to be a shit film before, but it seems to have picked up a new following and is highly recommended.

I thought LIFE GAMBLE was only mediocre, especially for a Venoms' film. But I was really impressed and entertained by OPIUM AND THE KUNG FU MASTER. Just my opinion.

And there's NO WAY I'm buying a Blu-Ray player! :) DVDs are plenty clear for me. ;)

Glad to see it has the english dub and it contains 3 original trailers!!! Ohh it's nice it actually came OUT!

Glad to see it has the english dub and it contains 3 original trailers!!! Ohh it's nice it actually came OUT!

Me too. Let's hope these Celestial (and Miramax) titles continue coming out - maybe Cliff will get sorted with another label. Miramax restorations were great most of the time, and it's likely they paid a shitload at the time for all the materials (be it each soundtrack and master), so we could end up getting good 5.1s to go with mono, superb image and fresh translation.

Interview with Chen Kuan-Tai!! Ahhh, now I got to see it, don't think there are any documetaries or interviews with him on Celestial.

kungfusamurai

I watched this DVD the other day. I was expecting more from the quality of the transfer, but in many sections I was disappointed with it. The issue I had was the excessive speckling on the image. I don't know if that was truly due to the condition of the negatives, or an artifact of the cleaning or transfer process. I'm thinking it was the latter, since a lot of the white speckling looked like was evenly distributed, not random like in a dirty print. Also, certain colors were really badly affected, like the color red, which looked like it was shimmering with the specks. It was very distracting.

When there wasn't the problem with that, the film was great to watch. I just hope if there are more Blu Ray discs, they will fix that issue. Hopefully the negatives will be re-done for Blu Ray, if they weren't already for this DVD release.

KFS

Archived