I hate the suprise endings...

lillippa328

i watchd Executioners from Shaolin and Dirty Ho....and I must say...the surprise Ending gets annoying....why do they do this!!In EFS it was kinda annoying but in Dirty Ho i REALLY wanted 2 know what was going 2 happen, and looking forward 2 a spectacular duel to seal he movie ending in addition to the one they just had....but it jus shuts off....:cry:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't be surprised, those endings fall right in line with majority of Lau Kar Leung's self directed flicks. For Lau, bad guy's in his movie's don't have to die as much as learn the lesson that they can be easily dealt with.

shaolin drunkard

EFS fails to be great movie because of it`s ending.Had CKT killed pai mei fine but now have that girl looking kid hitting pai meis weak spot does not do it for me.Remarkable lame ending is also on otherwise excellent shaolin vs wu tang.

Guest Markgway
EFS fails to be great movie because of it`s ending.Had CKT killed pai mei fine but now have that girl looking kid hitting pai meis weak spot does not do it for me.Remarkable lame ending is also on otherwise excellent shaolin vs wu tang.

The point that LKL was making was Chen Kuan-Tai's Hung Fist alone wasn't enough to defeat Lo Lieh's Pai Mei. That's why Wong Yue's character learnt both Hung Fist and his mother Lily Li's Crane Fist. The combination of styles was required. The principle being that no one martial art is superior and that the more knowledge you gain the better to outwit your opponent.

shaolin drunkard
The point that LKL was making was Chen Kuan-Tai's Hung Fist alone wasn't enough to defeat Lo Lieh's Pai Mei. That's why Wong Yue's character learnt both Hung Fist and his mother Lily Li's Crane Fist. The combination of styles was required. The principle being that no one martial art is superior and that the more knowledge you gain the better to outwit your opponent.

I know that..it still left pretty unclear how hung wen ting(or whatever was his name) was able to break through pai meis armour while kuan tai failed.

mistertpitydafoo
I know that..it still left pretty unclear how hung wen ting(or whatever was his name) was able to break through pai meis armour while kuan tai failed.

I just rewatched the last five mins for you...

Yeah they didn't make it too clear. From other movies I've seen featuring iron armor such as invincible armor and many others it seems the iron armor pratictioner is nearly invunerable to all fist and finger attacks and can move their critical pressure points around. BUT under moments of extreme stress, the pratitioner might forget to move his critical point plus has to be concentrating to suck up his testicles and/or eyes. Hence why you always see them take some sort of stance and concentrating when doing so. I believe the crane technique with the "beak" attack can successfully target pressure points where tiger claw failed such as the surprise attack hong wending did at the end when pai mei was concentrating on sucking his testicles inside and keeping wending's foot trapped. He suddenly jumps ontop surprising him and as they are struggling I believe pai mei lost his concentration and the ultimate loss of concentration was the surprise crane beak to the top of his head (which i believe has a important pressure point). That surprise attack on the top of the head was enough to cause him to be so unfocused that he is not able to protect his eyes. It could also be because the tiger claw rakes the eyes while the stork beak pokes/pierces which was enough to hit his eyes. In iron armor, the pratitioner is hit on the sides of the head, loses concentration on his genitals and drops them down which is enough for a "monkey steals the peach" move to crush them like eggs, killing the bad guy.

If anyone has a better explanation then by all means mention it in a followup post. I look forward to knowing what really happened to pai mei in that scene.

Yep Executioners and Dirty Ho had the frozen screen let down endings, I wasn't to thrilled about the ending of Enter the 36 Chambers either

Killer Meteor

Executioners and 36th Chamber (end fight, the actual 'The End' bit is OK) annoyed me because the fight does not end so much as just freezes. Very poor resolution. Dirty Ho's ending felt a bit better and Challenge of the Master's one doesn't make a lick of sense as an ending

shaolin drunkard

5 deadly venoms ending bit annoyed me.I was expecting 6th student and lizard go to kill corrupt judge as he was at least as bad as evil venoms but no...

Well if you're talking abrut endings, the old school kung fu, espcially shaw brothers, has plenty. My favorite abrupt ending is Encounters of the Spooky Kind.

Speaking of LKL endings, I just watched Pole Fighter recently, seems to have them most "normal" ending for one of his films. I know he usually goes for the freeze frame abrupt ending.

VALLEY OF THE FANGS (1970), with Li Ching and Lo Lieh, has a great end scene that goes on for three-and-a-half minutes after the finish of the big fight finale. Everything gets resolved, everyone says what they have to say to each other, they say their goodbyes and go off on their merry ways. No freeze frames. Very satisfying. I wish more Shaw Bros. movies ended like that. It's an excellent movie, too.

shaolin drunkard

Could it be case people wanted to leave cinema immediately after big boss was killed?I

have not gone to movie theater for several years:nerd: but remember feeling wanted to walk out after action was over and not go through minutes of "blah blah" many usa movies offer in the end.

Unlike hollywood flicks,shaw movies have no end credits either,villain killed then take off....

Killer Meteor
Could it be case people wanted to leave cinema immediately after big boss was killed?I

have not gone to movie theater for several years:nerd: but remember feeling wanted to walk out after action was over and not go through minutes of "blah blah" many usa movies offer in the end.

Unlike hollywood flicks,shaw movies have no end credits either,villain killed then take off....

Well that's my issue with Executioners and 36th Chamber...we DON'T see the villian finished off

mistertpitydafoo

Well it's pretty safe to say that was the end of pai mei as he jumps in the air screaming. It just did not take the time to show him end up at the body of the stairs motionless. It's pretty safe to say he was defeated. I guess it would have been nice to see him die but they ended it in the middle of his death flop.

usurpers of emperors power has shock ending, I did not see that coming. Movie is not much talked but extremely fine piece of later days Shaw swordplay.

IVL is OOP but if you liked movies like lady assassin and long road to gallantry this is definitely "must see".

One of my favorite aspects of kung-fu cinema is the utter lack of dénoument. The films climax, and then they get out as quickly as possible. Often, the credits will run moments after the "death blow" of the final fight (Joseph Kuo was especially talented at this).

LKL's endings are often interesting for their elipses. They've always reminded me of the end of North by Northwest: we know everything that's going to happen at a certain point, so why bother showing the rest? LKL's choice doubles as something of a rejection of unnecessary "bloodshed". Even when the villain cant' be reformed, it isn't always necessary to revel in his death pangs.

Chinatown Kid

I can't remember which one at the moment but it sticks out in my mind as an abrupt ending, it's the one where Chi Kuan Chun stands there as the arrows start to fly at him in the air and it freeze frames with The End.

I can't remember which one at the moment but it sticks out in my mind as an abrupt ending, it's the one where Chi Kuan Chun stands there as the arrows start to fly at him in the air and it freeze frames with The End.

I believe that is Shaolin Avengers.

Very strange ending. The Manchus just shoot everyone.

One of my favorite aspects of kung-fu cinema is the utter lack of dénoument. The films climax, and then they get out as quickly as possible. Often, the credits will run moments after the "death blow" of the final fight (Joseph Kuo was especially talented at this).

LKL's endings are often interesting for their elipses. They've always reminded me of the end of North by Northwest: we know everything that's going to happen at a certain point, so why bother showing the rest? LKL's choice doubles as something of a rejection of unnecessary "bloodshed". Even when the villain cant' be reformed, it isn't always necessary to revel in his death pangs.

I agree with this, the abrupt endings is one of my favourite aspects of kung-fu cinema.

I agree with this, the abrupt endings is one of my favourite aspects of kung-fu cinema.

Yeah, that-and the hero dying standing up, eyes fixated, on the enemy...

:nerd:

Archived