Tower of Death/GOD2 - Rare Version

Guest shukocarl

Guest shukocarl

I've been hearing about a rare Korea-only version of TOD/GOD2 that has all the Enter the Dragon footage replaced by Way of the Dragon footage. I don't know how this works, but can anyone confirm/deny this...any screencaps if true?

Thanks

Carl

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest killer meteor

I have seen a clip from the Korean version featuring Tong Lung using nunchucks in a very strange way

Guest Chinatown Kid

Guess ole Kim Tai Chung must not have been very proficent with the chucks so the filmmakers opted for him to just throw the damn things at his adversary. :P

Is this the only extra fight footage in the rare Korean version?

Guest shukocarl

Thanks Giles that was intresting, however there is a still of Tong Lung in 'Way' garb in the nightclub dressing room set...any footage of that?

Guest chen lung
Guess ole Kim Tai Chung must not have been very proficent with the chucks so the filmmakers opted for him to just throw the damn things at his adversary.

:rollin :rollin What a lazy bastard! He could have at least threw them onto the guy's wrist (just like with Jon Benn in TWOTD):P .

Guest Chan Wah Shun

The reason he didn't really do anything with the chucks because when he picked them up, there was ment to be a shot from Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee using the nunchaku. This movie was meant to be a "Bruce Lee" movie in it's entirety, but NG said he would't do the movie if that was the case. I heard that there are cuts of Tower of Death in existence (or were in existence) that had Bruce Lee footage throughout and NG is not credited as the director.

Guest Chinatown Kid

I have the Chinese version under the title Tower of Death and the US dubbed version under the title Game of Death II. The only difference I can really tell between the 2 is in the US version it has the greenhouse fight between Kim and Cassanova Wong which was first shown in the Chinese version of the original Game of Death. Also, outtakes from ETD are shown in Tower of Death and in Game of Death II they show Way of the Dragon outtakes instead. I believe the soundtrack music is also different in the 2 films.

If there are any extra fight scenes in the rare Korean version that is not shown in the US and Chinese versions then I would definately like to get hold of a copy. But if the chuck scene above is the only extra scene then I wouldn't be interested really.

Guest chen lung

It's really 'English export' and not nesseserily US, but yeah and there's more scenes (more footage of the young Bruce).

I was looking forward to this 'nunchaku' fight - Bruce would turn in his grave to see Kim throw them:lol !

Guest Chinatown Kid

That's right chen lung, I forgot about the clips of the HK films Lee made as a youth being shown in GOD 2. And your right about Bruce turning over in his grave about Kim's throwing of the chucks in that scene, I'm pretty sure he would be disgusted seeing his favorite movie weapon of choice being used like that! :b

Guest Squid Lips

Anyone have a list of scenes in the Korean version NOT in the US or Hong Kong version?

And you are right, that scene was a perfect assembly to put the Lee nunchaku scene from Enter in there.

Guest Chan Wah Shun

I had seen the beginning of the Korean version (probably on youtube), and it started out with Kim Tai Jung going to a newsstand in an airport to read of Hwang's character's death. I think there is little to no Bruce Lee footage in the Korean version, as Kim took off his sunglasses there were no fast cuts to Bruce Lee.

Guest shukocarl

If you Google you'll find a Korean dvd cover with the Way pic (Tong Lung with Chin ku's daughter)...he's wearing the Way costume!

Guest killer meteor

Throughout Tower Of Death, Tong Lung's solo character, Bobby Lo, is framed in shots that could be linked with footage of Bruce Lee - the projection scene comes to mind.

In any case, Tong Lung looks nothing like Bruce and that huge mane of hair he has throughout the film suggests no-one was really bothered about the lack of resemblance!

Guest Squid Lips

KM, you are exactly right. They were constantly using Tong to intercut scenes from Lee's films, particularly ENTER. The projection scene, the temple scene with the monk, when he visits the girl at the club, etc. They were really going for it and of course ran into trouble with Warner, etc.

But this movie has some of the craziest versions in terms of clips. One version has clips from this movie, the other has clips from that movie. It's really funny (but not as funny as the lion in the temple).

I never thought it was ever supposed to be a real lion. When I first saw this years ago, I always thought it was clearly meant to be a man in suit. But then the question is...why dress up in a lion suit? Wouldn't a nice ninja mask work just as well? :lol

Guest Markgway

When I saw it as a kid I figured it was a man in a suit (To Wai Woo's character?) But everyone keeps saying it was supposed to be real (complete with ROOOAARRRS!!) so who am I to argue? :P

Guest Squid Lips

It was real.

They rented the lion from the same animal farm where they rented the gorillas in Bruce Li The Invincible.

Archived