True Legend (2009)

AlbertV

lillippa328
as a movie I liked it better than yip man 2...the fights were unrealistic but awesome,so far one of my favies for 2010...

truthfully, i did aswell....who cares if it was some fantasy fights, ya know!....they were done so freakin well, the story, the costume design, the styles, the FIGHTS! the trainin, great movie!

• Like 1

Drunken Monk

I've heard that "True Legend" is more enjoyable with repeated viewings but the more I think of it, the more I dislike it. I just tend to be of the opinion that it's a sub par, boring and underachieving effort of a film. I'm actually surprised anyone enjoyed it.

Zhou Xun had a relatively small part in the film with few words, yet the way she performed it spoke volumes. Sometimes it

depends on who writes a story, but there are other times when a persons performance is able to capture what words could not

explain. Although an actress like Zhou Xun is beautiful the beauty of her performance is not necessarily a thing that you can

see as much as feel and this is why i feel although, she may not have seemed to reach the level of fame as her fellow actress

Zhang Ziyi, that really she has either surpassed her or is on a level where Zhang Ziyi once was. I remember Zhou Xun from

Painted Skin, Painted Skin in my opinion is one of those films that is highly decorated with great performances and a colorful

script. True legend is legendary only in the respect that the story seems ancient. The martial performances by the lead actor

Man Cheuk Chiu reminds me of Chang Yi, when he met the Wu-dang God (Jay Chou), he reminded me of David Chiang in

his prime. Was nice to see Gordon Liu again, the last time i saw him was in Anaconda Frightened. That was one snake with

a nasty bite, im fairly certain that film did not even make it to imdb before it died. http://zhouxun.chungta.com/

The UK Version of the film will be cut by 22 secs as stated by the British Board of Film Classification. Lets hope the cut does not seem to obvious!

Cut required to remove sight of unsimulated animal cruelty (in this case, a horse being tripped). Cut required in accordance with BBFC Guidelines, policy and the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937.

The UK Version of the film will be cut by 22 secs as stated by the British Board of Film Classification. Lets hope the cut does not seem to obvious!

Cut required to remove sight of unsimulated animal cruelty (in this case, a horse being tripped). Cut required in accordance with BBFC Guidelines, policy and the Cinematograph Films (Animals) Act 1937.

22 seconds of horse fall cuts? That doesn't seem right. I remember lots of scorpians, snakes and bugs in this movie, maybe something to do with them?

OK I felt like watching this again last night and I was watching the making of it, and I really didn't notice who some of the main characters really were, such as MMA Fighter Cung Le as the Bandit Boss in the beginning, and as the Wu-dang God (Jay Chou), he did remind me also of David Chiang in his prime as point out by Daigoro I didn't even notice that Jay was from the Green Hornet my only gripe after watching it again was the end fight scenes could've been a little better choreographed, and been stronger with the fighters that would've made for such a great ending. Still I would hope they make a sequel, it does leave off that he goes on a journey to find the true meaning of his Drunken Fist style.

lillippa328

that poster is siiiiiiickkkkk!

I dont understand the gripe ppl make over this movie.....everyone ive shown including myself, loves this movie!

I love this movie! lol great stuff

• Like 1

On 5/14/2010 at 3:04 AM, DiP said:

Watched the movie earlier today. Liked most of what I saw from the action. It's still the same consistent style from Woo Ping yet the overall choreography was very different, had another feel and look to it. Loved it. That said, I think they could've used some better opponents for Vincent (minus Andy On, Cung Le, and Jiang Lu-Xia, they were fire). As a movie, it was quite disjoined, some places needed better writing.

Rewatched it for the first time in 13 years. Times change, and so does opinions.

As a movie, I think I understand the story better now, and the character portrayal of Beggar So Chan is clearer this time around. I might've thought about the story being disjointed back then as I came in with expectations (which is common thing for everyone). But in the end, the movie is mainly about the legend behind Beggar So Chan; How his life looked like, what made him become the way he is known for, and his life being culminated. It doesn't have other characters that the main character resolves around but those characters resolving around him. I didn't mind Andy On not being the final opponent as that would've defeated the purpose of showing So Chan's journey and finding the character's resolution in turning into a legendary figure. Such a nice touch!

My sentiment toward the action scenes is pretty much the same. Vincent Zhao Vs Andy On/Cung Li/Jiang Lu-Xia being well choreographed, shot, and edited. However, the action in the last act is as good. Zhao fighting Jay Chou (Drunken God), and the finale with the westerners.

I really enjoyed the movie, and consider it the last great outing from both Woo-Ping (as a director) and Zhao (I haven't seen his more recent movies, and honestly they look like typical Mainland Chinese junk).

Edited by DiP
  • Like 1

I haven't seen it in ages.  I think I was a little put off by the style being so modern for a Yuen Woo Ping Beggar So movie - so polished and artsy compared to the Seasonal Films he made with his father.  But what really got me was that last act where it basically turned into a Fearless knockoff?  Am I remembering that right?  Not a bad movie, just not one that really "stayed with me" after my sole viewing.