True Legend (2009)

AlbertV

True Legend

V21442-D.jpg

Director: Yuen Woo Ping

Staring: Vincent Zhao, Zhou Xun, Michelle Yeoh, Jay Chou, Andy On, David Carradine

Synopsis:

True Legend is the extraordinary journey of a man - a martial arts hero - whose greatest dream is to create a unique school of martial arts for the world to follow.

All his life, Su Can has been pursuing the summit in martial arts. There are two things he holds dearest to his heart - the dream of creating a unique kind of martial arts that will pass on to generations; and his beloved wife. Su has a happy family and his wife is the joy of his life. But owing to a turn of fate and Su own stubbornness, he loses his wife and his family is destroyed.

After losing his wife, Su cannot live with himself and collapses totally. He is drunk all the time and becomes a crazy beggar in everyone eyes. Everyday, his young son ties him with a piece of rope and leads him through the streets, greeted by people's curious and disdainful gazes.

But all this time during his spiritual exile, his dream for the highest peak in martial arts is still alive. In his madness, Su continues his practice, to perfect his skills and fists.

it now says on Yesasia that "this product does not offer English audio or subtitles"

Edko pulled this shit before with the initial HK dvd of Fearless.

They do have it at that site (I'm not linking to it) and it is a CAM version, but with burned it English subs. If the Hong Kong DVD turns out sub-less, these subs could be used to a fansub DVD. I will download it for those purposes only. Shame on Edko if they don't turn out an English friendly disc.

I really enjoyed TRUE LEGEND. There is alot of wire fu, but you can tell that thee actors are still very talented ma, as they perform the fights with such ease and skill, Vincent Zhao proves that he still has what it takes to star in a new film franchise. I hope to see many more of these (I even love the 4th and 5th OUATIC films).

i bought my dvd in Chinatown for $10.. Mei Ah DVD.. i think it was a bootleg.. The quality wasnt very good, it was dark, burnt on english subtitles.. Looked like a VCD quality disc..

Th story was just ok to me, a bit weird.. i did not like the ending at all!! andy wasnt the last opponent he fights.. The drunken fist wasnt really used it was mostly breakdancing.. but it was still enjoyable.. Andy On did a great job in his role also Vincent

maybe i woulda enjoy it with if it was better quality?

i bought my dvd in Chinatown for $10.. Mei Ah DVD.. i think it was a bootleg.. The quality wasnt very good, it was dark, burnt on english subtitles.. Looked like a VCD quality disc..

Th story was just ok to me, a bit weird.. i did not like the ending at all!! andy wasnt the last opponent he fights.. The drunken fist wasnt really used it was mostly breakdancing.. but it was still enjoyable.. Andy On did a great job in his role also Vincent

maybe i woulda enjoy it with if it was better quality?

That's a bootleg. Most probably a camjob. Real distributor is Edko.

That's a bootleg. Most probably a camjob. Real distributor is Edko.

yea i figured... shame~.. there wasnt even menu or chapter, audio selections it just plays right through... lol

I had still held out a little hope, but this turned out to be awful in a lot of ways. They should use this as an example of how not to use wires, slow-mo, and special effects.

The last half of the movie I was thinking, "Maybe I should break out 'Hero Among Heroes' for later on this week." I don't remember it being anything great, but I do remember liking it a whole lot more than this.

Andy On's character looking cool might literally be the highlight of the entire affair..

I had still held out a little hope, but this turned out to be awful in a lot of ways. They should use this as an example of how not to use wires, slow-mo, and special effects.

The last half of the movie I was thinking, "Maybe I should break out 'Hero Among Heroes' for later on this week." I don't remember it being anything great, but I do remember liking it a whole lot more than this.

Andy On's character looking cool might literally be the highlight of the entire affair..

oh.. i was going to buy the Hk edition but ur comments killed that idea... now i dont know what to do :xd:

I saw this yesterday i was pretty disappointed with it,He fights Andy on to early then it just carries on for no real reason and there was far to much wire work,lets hope ip man 2 is better!

Drunken Monk

I got this yesterday and will be watching it once the wife gets back from Florida tomorrow. I'm still excited about it, despite seeing way too much wire work in clips and trailers.

I really enjoyed the film, the choreography is very typically 90s style - reminded me of Iron Monkey a lot with the bending of reality/gravity and use of wires.

I think so long as you go in expecting this style of exaggerated choreography there's a lot of enjoyment to be taken from it. Some exchanges are brilliantly done, and while the story is basic and the final 30mins does feel like the start of a new film I still enjoyed it as an entertaining action film.

As a side note some of the cinematography and landscapes (especially the fight near the raging rapids) are just beautiful.