True Legend (2009)

AlbertV

Yuen Woo-Ping is hard at work on his latest film TRUE LEGEND. It is the story of Beggar Su, one of the most famous characters in MA films. Simon Yuen (Woo-Ping's father) is perhaps the most famous actor to play the role in DRUNKEN MASTER and Stephen Chow played the role to comic effect in KING OF BEGGARS.

This time, Su is played by Zhao Wen-Zhou. Co-starring in the film are Jacky Heung, Andy On, Jay Chou (in a cameo as Su's teacher), and Cung Le. Yes, THAT Cung Le! He was recently added to the cast as a Brigand chief and he is to have a fight scene against Zhao under Woo-Ping's supervision.

Details on Cung Le's casting: Wu-Jing.org

doug maverick

i spoke to cung on myspace, he said it was awesome working with yuen. and that he had to learn his choreagraphy on spot, with little rehearsal.

im really looking forward 2 this. I thik Zhao Wen is really good, and was underused a lot in OUATIC 4 and 5.And with Yuen Woo Ping's choreography, and the Begger So charcter....im hype!!!!

Looks really good! I'm glad Michelle Yeoh is still getting work in martial arts movies. Will definitely pick this one up on Blu-Ray when it gets released.

Guest Yi-Long

Trailers doesn't do much for me.

Vincent Zhao looks a little bit too clean for a beggar, and costume-design (especially for the villains) and setting don't look very good either.

Apart from the cute looking girl, I can't say I saw much in the trailer that excited me... (sadly)

It just looks mediocre.

Impressive production values and fighting (can see that Woo Ping put alot of effort in realizing the ideas). Glad to see Vince Chiu back on the big screen.

Looks good. Nice to see Vincent Zhao in an A-calibur flick for a change. Aren't you guys glad to see quality coming back to HK flicks? I don't know about you guys but I couldn't stand the pop star and hippity-hoppity vehices like the rediculous "Invisble Target" and the even more laughable "Fatal Move". Keep it going HK filmmakers!!!

Looks good. Nice to see Vincent Zhao in an A-calibur flick for a change. Aren't you guys glad to see quality coming back to HK flicks? I don't know about you guys but I couldn't stand the pop star and hippity-hoppity vehices like the rediculous "Invisble Target" and the even more laughable "Fatal Move". Keep it going HK filmmakers!!!

Then what is Jay Chou?

Then what is Jay Chou?

Don't care for him. Doesn't even qualify as a filmmaker, let alone an actor in my book. Kung Fu Dunk was abosolute ASS.

I'm excited to see this just because Woo Ping tends to (in my opinion) get the best out of his actors, at least in the fight scenes. I think this is especially evident with Jet Li.

Seems to have a similar vibe to Fearless. Really looking forward to this one, nice to see Zhao in a movie again. He's had a good run on TV.

'True Legend' to Open during Chinese New Year

Yuen Woo-Ping's new film about 19th-century hero Su Qi-Er will open in Chinese cinemas around mid-February in time for the Chinese Lunar New Year, the movie's producers announced on Monday.

They plan to announce the exact opening of the film "True Legend" at a later date.

The producers believe the film will be a commercial success because the New Year holiday is usually a major contributor to China's annual box-office revenue.

"True Legend" stars Chiu Man-Cheuk as martial-arts legend Su Qi-Er with supporting cast members Jay Chou, Zhou Xun and Michelle Yeoh.

Su Qi-Er, whose stories were passed down as folk tales, was originally a wealthy kung-fu amateur in the late Qing Dynasty (1644-1911). After losing his fortune because of a conspiracy against him, he devoted himself to martial arts and eventually became a renowned master.

Director Yuen Woo-Ping, an influential martial-arts choreographer and filmmaker, made a film about Su Qi-Er in 1993. He says the latest film explores Su's personality with a more dramatic story.

Moviegoers will also be able to see a few scenes featuring the late Hollywood actor David Carradine, who was known for his role in the "Kill Bill" series. Director Yuen invited Carradine to work on his film after a pleasant collaboration in "Kill Bill" for which Yuen was the stunt advisor. Carradine died in Thailand earlier this year.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/10/20/1261s523679.htm