Non-Asian actors in Hong Kong cinema

AlbertV

But it seems hk filmmakers are racists because they always shom western people like beasts.If i remember right Jeffrey played only twice as a good guy.They should give them better roles.

It cracks me up when Asian(probably more Asian Americans) people complain they get typecast in Hollywood movies, having watched a lot of Asian cinema over the years Americans and Europeans are always the murders, rapists and drug dealers. Not that these people didn't exist, but there was also a lot of doctors and people overseas trying to help. Then again I'd love to go to Hong Kong and play the bad American villain part:p

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sonnychibaidol

Of these actors, how many of these non-Chinese, non-Asian actors actually speak Cantonese in the movies? How many of these actors are actually conversant with the Cantonese tongue? Could you please list the names. Thank you.

Not sure if all fall in this category, but here goes some others who I don't believe were mentioned.

Loren Avedon - No Retreat No Surrender II & III, King of Kickboxers

Chuck Jeffreys - Bloodmoon, Angel the Kickboxer (Excellent ma practitioner)

Bob Wall - Return of the Dragon, Enter the Dragon

Bob Baker - Chinese Connection

Steve (Muhammad) Sanders - Dynamo

Donnie Williams - Bruce Lee: The Man, The Myth

John Ladalski - Counter Attack, Amour of God, My Rebellious Son

Sophia Crawford - Cypress Tigers and many other HK films

Billy Blanks - Invincible, King of Kickboxers

Bill "Superfoot" Wallace - The Protector

My favorite is probably Carl R. Scott (previously mentioned) for his roles in Soul Brothers of Kung Fu, A Hard Way to Die and Kung Fu Executioner. Superb martial arts practitioner and he's currently still involved in martial arts. He was a student of Steve (Muhammad) Sanders and continues to hold seminars for the 5 Level Method ma system which he may still teach in the Los Angeles area. From what I hear, he's very private and doesn't like to discuss(provide interviews) his HK movies days, although I'd wish he would!

Joseph_Kuby

Robert Kerver - geeky looking white guy in '70s movies was a laugh riot but solid when using a nunchaku.

Anne Winston from When Taekwondo Strikes is admirable too.

originally posted by sonnychibaidol:

Of these actors, how many of these non-Chinese, non-Asian actors actually speak Cantonese in the movies? How many of these actors are actually conversant with the Cantonese tongue? Could you please list the names. Thank you.

Mark Houghton is fluent in Cantonese. I have a friend who is acquaintances with him and I think he said his Cantonese is virtually indecipherable from a native speaker.

Roy Horan speaks cantonese so does Bey Logan.

Jingangchan
Mark Houghton is fluent in Cantonese. I have a friend who is acquaintances with him and I think he said his Cantonese is virtually indecipherable from a native speaker.
He runs a school there so why not?

Jingangchan
Hey guys,

I thought I'd start up a post about who you thought were good foreign actors in Hong Kong cinema, from any era. As Hong Kong cinema has virtually gone more international, it is quite interesting to pop in a classic kung fu movie or new wave film and see Americans, British, and other non-Asians in these films. Here's a list of my favorite actors.

Carl Scott (1970's) - awesome teenage kung fu and karate expert, best known for Last Strike (aka Soul Brothers of Kung Fu) and his famous on-screen teamups with Billy Chong. Last I heard, he ran a camera shop in California, but that was years ago. Could be doing that still or not. Who knows?

Louis Neglia (1980) - former kickboxing champion who played main baddie in A Hard Way to Die. Currently a kickboxing promoter in New York City and runs a kickboxing school in Brooklyn.

Alexander Grand (1970's) - played the Russian boxer in Crystal Fist and appeared in other classic kung fu films.

Robert Kerver (1970's) - played the blond Russian fighter in Snuff Bottle Connection and as one of the villain's top thugs in Fists of Bruce Lee.

Ron Van Clief (1970's) - The famous "Black Dragon" who starred in the film of the same name and was the martial arts teacher of Taimak, who played Leroy in the 1985 classic The Last Dragon. Still active in martial arts today.

Roy Horan (1970's-1980's) - best known for being a student of Hwang Jang-Lee's and had memorable villain roles in Snuff Bottle Connection and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. Also showed some nice MA in Tower of Death and had a memorable acting scene in No Retreat, No Surrender 2. Currently a teacher in Hong Kong.

Anyone have favorites here or perhaps in the New Wave era? :)

OOPS...can someone move this to the General Forum...I didn't realize where it was...sorry :(

Are we forgettimg the obvious? Donnie Yen. Technically he grew up in the Boston area. I forget if he was born overseas but, I think it was here.

Jingangchan
It cracks me up when Asian(probably more Asian Americans) people complain they get typecast in Hollywood movies, having watched a lot of Asian cinema over the years Americans and Europeans are always the murders, rapists and drug dealers. Not that these people didn't exist, but there was also a lot of doctors and people overseas trying to help. Then again I'd love to go to Hong Kong and play the bad American villain part:p

Actually I don't know if "racist" is the best term. Even the Nipponese players get the shaft most of the time. Look at the roles Kurata and Oshima played...and HJL is Korean. I think it's just anyone who's not from HK, Taiwan or such.

Jingangchan
If you are regarding him as the non asian.Then lot of stars were raised in Canada and etc.

Donnie Yen is 100% asian.

The original post in this thread mentioned foreign actors as opposed to nonasian...

Donnie was born in Canton, China. His family moved to Boston shortly after. I think Donnie's sister Chris was born in Boston, but I am not sure.

Archived