Non-Asian actors in Hong Kong cinema

AlbertV

Hey guys,

I thought I'd start up a post about who you thought were good foreign actors in Hong Kong cinema, from any era. As Hong Kong cinema has virtually gone more international, it is quite interesting to pop in a classic kung fu movie or new wave film and see Americans, British, and other non-Asians in these films. Here's a list of my favorite actors.

Carl Scott (1970's) - awesome teenage kung fu and karate expert, best known for Last Strike (aka Soul Brothers of Kung Fu) and his famous on-screen teamups with Billy Chong. Last I heard, he ran a camera shop in California, but that was years ago. Could be doing that still or not. Who knows?

Louis Neglia (1980) - former kickboxing champion who played main baddie in A Hard Way to Die. Currently a kickboxing promoter in New York City and runs a kickboxing school in Brooklyn.

Alexander Grand (1970's) - played the Russian boxer in Crystal Fist and appeared in other classic kung fu films.

Robert Kerver (1970's) - played the blond Russian fighter in Snuff Bottle Connection and as one of the villain's top thugs in Fists of Bruce Lee.

Ron Van Clief (1970's) - The famous "Black Dragon" who starred in the film of the same name and was the martial arts teacher of Taimak, who played Leroy in the 1985 classic The Last Dragon. Still active in martial arts today.

Roy Horan (1970's-1980's) - best known for being a student of Hwang Jang-Lee's and had memorable villain roles in Snuff Bottle Connection and Snake in the Eagle's Shadow. Also showed some nice MA in Tower of Death and had a memorable acting scene in No Retreat, No Surrender 2. Currently a teacher in Hong Kong.

Anyone have favorites here or perhaps in the New Wave era? :)

OOPS...can someone move this to the General Forum...I didn't realize where it was...sorry :(

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Brad Allen appear in any films based in Hong Kong? I know he was part of Jackie Chan's stunt team and i've seen him appear in quite a few films but those were shot in either Australia or USA

TibetanWhiteCrane

Richard Norton

Jeff Falcon

Michael Woods

Stephan Bervic

Steve Tartaglia

Bobby Samuels

Mike Abbot

Louis Roth

Kim Maree Penn

Sophia Crawford

Wayne Archer

Vincent Lynn

So many... and they all deserve props, cuz that is a damn hard way to make a living!

Did Brad Allen appear in any films based in Hong Kong? I know he was part of Jackie Chan's stunt team and i've seen him appear in quite a few films but those were shot in either Australia or USA

Brad was the fighter in Gorgeous, which is a Hong Kong film. It was shot in Taiwan and Hong Kong. He also appeared in Drunken Master 3 in a bit part and The Accidental Spy as the cab driver Chan fights while in Turkey I believe.

kungpowmaster

Yeah, Richard Harrison is great, and I really like Stuart Smith/Steen. I read a great interview with him too a while back.

Chosen One

Brad was the fighter in Gorgeous, which is a Hong Kong film. It was shot in Taiwan and Hong Kong. He also appeared in Drunken Master 3 in a bit part and The Accidental Spy as the cab driver Chan fights while in Turkey I believe.

ah yea i forgot gorgeous was a HK based film lol...that was the film that was came to mind when i thought of Brad Allen...stupid me :quiet:

ah yea i forgot gorgeous was a HK based film lol...that was the film that was came to mind when i thought of Brad Allen...stupid me :quiet:

Nah, it happens. We all tend to forget things. Don't worry about it niro. :D

The Godfrey Ho Ninja films are definitely a guilty pleasure. Richard Harrison is definitely the definition of them.

Stuart Smith/Steen is good, Bruce Baron still is ranking and is still p.o.ed at how he was "exploited", Bruce Stallion is actually Paulo Tocha and he's a kickboxing trainer these days, Pierre Kirby was good in Full Metal Ninja and Zombie vs. Ninja (the latter with Elton Chong from Zombie Raiders)

I remember another one although i didnt think he was good actor in the film at all but still a starring role for a British martial artist...Darren Shahlavi in Tai Chi Boxer XD

Good ol' Richard Norton.

Brad Allen.

Benny Urquidez.

John Salvitti and Michael Woods, two of Donnie Yen's buddies from Boston.

Cynthia Rothrock might be the only white actor routinely assigned POSITIVE characters in HK movies.

Chinatown Kid

I wish Jerry "Golden Boy" Trimble had been given more opportunity to showcase his kicks in HK films, his real life kickboxing bouts often looked as good as if they were choregraphed for a film. His spinning hook kick was a thing of beauty!

Yeah Jerry was the main villain in Jet Li's The Master and also appeared in King of the Kickboxers and Invincible (a HK military action film that co-starred Billy Blanks and Stefanos Miltsakakis)

I also like Mark Williams. He was the dread-locked gang leader in The Master, but he really shined in the finale of another Jet Li film, Dragon Fight. He played the lead bodyguard to the big boss whom Dick Wei allied himself with. Mark would also get to shine in College Kickboxers, which co-starred and was choreographed by Tang Tak-Wing.

A name not many know but he has done more recent films in Hong Kong is Brandon Rhea. He's a German-born martial artist who appeared in Silver Hawk (in the opening fight as one of the panda poachers), Star Runner (one of the thugs in the bar fight), but is perhaps more known for his role in Fearless as the fighter with the spear who takes on Jet Li in the opening of the film. He's pretty good as well after seeing him work with Yuen Woo-Ping.

I'm also a fan of Jake Strickland, the young XMA fighter from House of Fury. He recently graduated from high school and I'm hearing rumors that Jackie Chan is planning another film for him. Maybe he may end up doing some stunt work on Spy Next Door???? Who knows?

Paul Rudd, GEN Y COPS. Peter Graves and Richard Kiel, ACES GO PLACES 3.

Did you know Phoebe Cates wanted a role in OPERATION CONDOR? But Jackie decided she may not like the Hong Kong way of filming (throw out the script, overlong shooting schedule).

Evelyn Kraft (Mighty Peking Man, Deadly Angels)

Paul Smith (Return of the Tiger)

Coolio + Mark Dascascos (China Strike Force)

And let's not forget Michael DePasquale Jr. from CHINA HEAT. He plays the "New York" cop assigned to help the visiting policewomen from China, who include Sibelle Hu, and he takes them to what looks like a hotel dining room in the Pacific Northwest tricked up with a couple of lion statues and tells them, "This is the best Chinese restaurant in Noo Yawk!"

I remember her in Fun and Fury, really get her ass kicked by Frankie Chan XD

Yeah, but she did some pretty good stuff in In the Line of Duty 5: Middle Man, City of Darkness, and Death Games

The Running Man
Did you know Phoebe Cates wanted a role in OPERATION CONDOR? But Jackie decided she may not like the Hong Kong way of filming (throw out the script, overlong shooting schedule).

Wow! That sounds like a great piece of trivia. Where'd ya here it?

I do know that Oliver Stone visited the set though.

And just to help add to the thread, Gary Daniels in City Hunter and Michael Biehn in Dragon Squad.

There is a pic of Jackie 'giving Oliver Stone some directing tips' in his book. It didn't say what time period. Now I know, thanks!

Guest Yi-Long

Brad Allen is the one that jumps to mind, mainly because of the speed and ability. A shame he hasnt be used more and better.

Archived