One Armed Swordsman...how many are there?

lillippa328

Ok, so I just finished watching The New One Armed Swordsman, and I have already seen The One Armed Swordsman, and Return of the One Armed Swordsman...now is that all??I liked these films alot, and I thought the 3rd one was really good! Are there any more sequals/prequals/spin offs or anything?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, but as far as I know there were no more done at Shaws. I know of the following:

Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman, One Armed Swordsmen, One Armed Chivalry Fights Against One Armed Chivalry and One Arm Against Nine Killers.

I suppose they'd be unofficial sequels and spinoffs. Save for ZMTOAS which I suppose would be a crossover (to an extent).

There was also a remake, called "The Blade".

drunkenmaster

I saw "Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman" a while back and I must confess it was more about the Japanese swordsman though still quite entertaining. Wang Yu does have some nice moments in the film, but the ending is a real downer.

I saw "Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman" a while back and I must confess it was more about the Japanese swordsman though still quite entertaining.

That's because it is a Zatoichi movie, even Yojimbo played second fiddle.

You could always move on to Wang Yu's "One Armed Boxer" movies.

In Point The Finger Of Death, Jimmy Wang Yu plays an One-armed swordsman also.

That's an AKA for 'One Armed Chivalry..' I believe.

I saw "Zatoichi Meets The One Armed Swordsman" a while back and I must confess it was more about the Japanese swordsman though still quite entertaining. Wang Yu does have some nice moments in the film, but the ending is a real downer.

There's also supposed to be an alternate ending for ZMTOAS.

so Wang Yu does all of the rest?

Yes. David Chiang is also in One Armed Swordsmen though.

I liked it, some people find the plot confusing. Whatever you do don't get the Video Asia version (the one in the picture), it's horrible it skips all over the place.

shaolin drunkard

I watched yesterday *return of the onearmed swordsman* and was surprised how great that is.Part1 was just fine but there was not enough action,such is not case with sequel:D.As awesome as "new one armed swordsman",highly recommended for fans of old wu xia.

I really didn't like ROAS much at all, well thats in comparison to the other two. I like NOAS best, better story, action, and villian.

• Administrator

My 2 cents worth: Love OAS. ROAS didn't have as compelling a story, but more action and was really entertaining. It beat the sequel curse, GODFATHER 2 style! I'm a big fan of NOAS, and have always enjoyed the ridiculous bridge massacre that the hero instigates. It's a bloody good time! The Zatoichi pairing is good, but not one of my favorites from either series. I own, but haven't yet watched the others.

^nah i dunno if im really into One Armed films per say...i just like collecting the whole collections of things....(like the 36 Chamber trilogy, Tai Chi Trilogy, OUATIC, ect...)

I tried to watch some of these 'other' One Armed films, but I just couldn't get into them. For me, what made the originals so watchable was the lush movie making magic, and a style that can only be done by the Shaws and Chang Cheh.

But I love Bruceploitation films. Go figure. =)

uggghhh, did you just call 36 chambers a trilogy? I guess it can technically be called that but I prefer to forget Disciples of the 36 Chambers exists...

Archived