Ip Man 2

Milkyway

Morgoth Bauglir
Donnie and Wilson are too good at surprises. That's the spirit.

yeah good point. Both guys have surprised me so many times, and not just with movies they are working on together.

Maz thanks for the info. I cannot believe Fung Hak on is going to be in this too!:smile: I always try to keep my expectations low for every movie I ever see, but dammit it's just gonna be too hard to do that for this movie.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'Ip Man 2' to Raise Curtain for Students' Festival

This year's film festival season will get a kung-fu start on the Chinese mainland.

The 17th Beijing College Student Film Festival, which is to kick off the mainland's 2010 film awards season on April 7, will open with Hong Kong action film "Ip Man 2", Sina.com.cn reports.

The movie, the second installment in a biopic series about Bruce Lee's mentor, Yip Man, will premiere after the film festival's opening ceremony. It will be the only screening of the film before it rolls out in mainland theaters on April 29.

Director Wilson Yip and lead actor Donnie Yen will be present at the opening ceremony, the Sina report says.

Donnie Yen, who plays Wing Chun master Yip Man, was voted Best Actor by last year's student jury for the previous "Ip Man" film.

Donnie Yen told Sina that he is looking forward to retaining his title this year.

The annual Beijing College Student Film Festival acts as a barometer of how films are received among college students, who now make up an indispensable part of China's movie audience.

During the festival, a diversity of Chinese films will be screened in universities across Beijing. Filmmakers and actors will also interact with students at lectures or screenings, and master classes will be arranged.

Awards for Best Picture and Best Actor/Actress are decided by a jury of students and critics. Students are also encouraged to vote for their favorite actors.

This year's Beijing College Student Film Festival runs from April 7 to May 8.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/03/18/1261s557423.htm

Guest Yi-Long
jYXxlQGYADQ

Hmmmm... new teaser doesn't actually look all that great. Some ott stuff going on there, which worries me... like the small segment with the wooden board, and some kinda fight in a ring with a white dude...

I really hope they haven't fucked this up.

Sammo Hung Pulls No Punches on Ip Man 2

-- Ip Man 2 --

Wilson Yip, who reveals that Ip Man 2's martial arts scenes are the results of Sammo Hung's painstaking effort, describes the duel between Donnie Yen and Sammo Hung as his most unforgettable scene in the film, "Big Brother Sammo Hung's choreography is truly outstanding, I love it very much. And it's not just fighting, for there is a little drama there as well. Sammo Hung, who can't wait to step onto the arena, is asked by Donnie Yen just before the duel if it's more important to determine the winner or having a meal with family?"

Wilson Yip indicates that in order to highlight the characteristics of Wing Chun in this challenge, whereby Donnie Yen has to win three duels consecutively on the table within the burning time of a joss stick, Sammo Hung specially picked Monkey Fist and Eight Trigram Palm, to compete against Wing Chun, before Sammo Hung himself takes on Donnie Yen using Hung Gar.

Lo Meng would employ Monkey Fist's agile moves and leaps to test the waters of Wing Chun's attacks and feigns, while Fung Hak On, using Eight Trigram Palm's seemingly slow but fast movements, circles and clings around the opponent, striking at the most opportune moment. As the other two masters step down, Sammo Hung, the fastest fatty fighter, makes use of Hung Gar's powerful and aggressive moves to counter Wing Chun chain punch, fighting fire with fire.

Under such exquisite choreography, the counters between the various forms of martial arts and Wing Chun allow the audience to get a better appreciation of the finer points of wushu. To make it more challenging and precarious, and for heightened visuals as well as adding a touch of wushu vibrancy, Sammo Hung chose a confined space - the top of a 20-seat round table - to be their arena.

To sum up, Wilson Yip says that what Ip Man displays through the fights is a kind of forbearance, "武 (Wu) is made up of 止 (cessation) and 戈 (dagger-axe). The spirit of Chinese wushu is to stop fighting, rather than picking up a fight. The pursuit of the highest realm of wushu is not merely about winning or losing. That Ip Man gaining an edge over his opponent is not because of his desire to determine the winner, nor to defeat yet another opponent, it's not about physical victory, but rather it's on another level - winning without waging war."

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/797-Sammo-Hung-Pulls-No-Punches-on-Ip-Man-2.html

Donnie Yen set for 'Ip Man' sequel

Martial arts film to be released April 29 in Hong Kong, China

HONG KONG -- Donnie Yen fights Western powers in "Ip Man 2," the sequel to the 200 million yuan ($29.3 million) grossing 2008 Chinese hit, the films' producer Raymond Wong told The Hollywood Reporter.

Scheduled for release April 29 in Hong Kong and China, the $10 million sequel on the martial arts master will hold a press conference Monday at Filmart.

"Ip Man 2" marks the last film Wong will produce for Mandarin Films, the company he founded in 1991. He resigned from the position of chairman in 2009 and remains as a director and shareholder.

The next films he produces will be under Pegasus Motion Pictures, the production outfit he set up with son Edmond. Upcoming will be an untitled action drama starring Louis Koo, who has signed with Pegasus, a HK$60 million seven-picture deal including the recent comedy "All's Well Ends Well Too 2010," and a project with longtime collaborator Donnie Yen.

"Ip Man 2," helmed by the original's director Wilson Yip, written by Edmond Wong and featured action choreography by Sammo Hung, follows the story of the original blockbuster biopic and details the renowned Wing Chun expert's life after he relocated to Hong Kong from Southern China and his struggle to survive in the then-British colony by teaching martial arts.

"The film deals with how Hong Kong people were treated under British colonial rule, and Western attitudes concerning Chinese kung fu," Wong said. "In the first 'Ip Man,' Donnie Yen fought Japanese invaders; in this installment, he fights boxing Westerners with Wing Chun."

Wong intended for the premise to appeal to the audience in China, where nationalistic sentiments run high.

"The Chinese audience responded enthusiastically to the depiction of the traditional culture of martial arts in the original, and they appreciated the fact that the film was more than just a kung fu actioner, but also a drama with a nationalistic undertone, as in the portrayal of the Chinese resistance against Japanese invasion," Wong said. The title character also fights opposite Sammo Hung, who plays a grand master of Hung Kuen, a traditional discipline of martial arts.

But before the series turns into the "Rocky" of China, where the title character faced opponents of different nationalities in consecutive installments, producer Wong said they would give him a rest, especially in light of the competing Ip Man projects, such as Wong Kar-wai's "The Grand Master" under his own Jet Tone and China's Sil-Metropole, and the Herman Yau-directed prequel "Young Ip Man" for National Arts Entertainment.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/world/news/e3i6e499b206b4e48abb88513d8d36b0bea

Bruce Lee’s Mentor Gets Second Biopic

Kung-fu star Donnie Yen and director Wilson Yip introduced their new film, “Ip Man 2,” at a packed press conference at the Hong Kong International Film Festival on Monday.

“Ip Man 2,” the follow-up to 2008’s “Ip Man,” follows the life of the 20th-century Chinese martial-arts master by the same name. His students included a young Bruce Lee.

Ip Man, who was born in 1893 in Guangdong province and died in Hong Kong in 1972, is depicted in the movie as a brave and honest man, a loving husband and a devoted father.

“We created a certain image” based on a real person, Mr. Yen said in an interview with The Wall Street Journal.

“Ip Man is today’s standard of a hero because he can fight,” he said. “But he is also a kind, responsible family man, and that can appeal to all audiences.”

Despite the popularity of the first film and the eagerly awaited sequel next month, Mr. Yen said he doesn’t expect a third installment. “I think two is enough for me as an actor and Wilson Yip as a director,” he said.

“We could easily make five more, but we would throw artistic value out the window,” he added. “I want people to remember what we did for the industry.”

“Ip Man 2,” which was produced on a budget of about $10 million, according to producer Raymond Wong, is scheduled for release in Hong Kong and mainland China on April 29. It’s too early to say whether the movie will get a U.S. release.

– Dean Napolitano

http://blogs.wsj.com/chinarealtime/2010/03/23/bruce-lees-mentor-gets-second-biopic/

Is this Lo Mang?

... and Fung Hak On?

This is already candidate for MA film of the year!

:nerd:

This is how you keep the genre alive... Bring in the old skool guys to play seasoned veteran masters, and blend them with the future stars! In the old days, young stars wore wigs and heavy make-up to play the masters-now they are actually old enough to be the masters they played back when!

:yociexp108:

post-74-144191887006_thumb.jpg

So I planned on getting the DVD as soon as it comes out...BUT now after seeing the newly released trailer......are you kidding me?

Combined with all the older and newer talent on display and Donnie Yen looking as good as ever combined with a slimmer looking Sammo Hung....this is going to be off the charts. :tongue:

Mark Pollard

I just found out today that Well Go USA has acquired IP MAN and IP MAN 2 for North American release. See link for full scoop.

http://www.kungfucinema.com/well-go-usa-acquires-ip-man-films-14169

There is no word on any plans for a limited theatrical release, or dates for a home video release. I'm just pleased to see IP MAN 2 finding a U.S. buyer before its premiere. Hopefully, that means the company plans to speed up a North American release. I'll let you guys know as I find out more details. I'm hoping we'll be able to do some promotional in conjunction with their release.

I'm so gald TWC/DD aren't releasing this. They hold on to acquisitions too damn long. Can't wait for a legit US DVD/BD release of Ip Man!

The Running Man
I just found out today that Well Go USA has acquired IP MAN and IP MAN 2 for North American release. See link for full scoop.

Can someone say.... "huh?".

Can't say I saw that one coming.

I guess it'd be also a shock if the manage to deliver a quality DVD considering their previous output. I expect nothing but an import of the Hong Kong release with no attempt at redoing the subtitles or even commissioning an English dub.

Guest Yi-Long
Can someone say.... "huh?".

Can't say I saw that one coming.

I guess it'd be also a shock if the manage to deliver a quality DVD considering their previous output. I expect nothing but an import of the Hong Kong release with no attempt at redoing the subtitles or even commissioning an English dub.

If you're lucky, that's exactly what they'll do. Just releasing it, without tweaking it or wasting half a year on a lousy shitty dub, or whatever.

Archived