Ip Man 2

Milkyway

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Captivating Ip Man 2

The sequel to the martial arts movie promises a richer story and better fight scenes

FOLLOWING the box office success of Ip Man, which raked in HK$25 million (RM10.7 million) in Hongkong and HK$100 million (RM42.8 million) in China, comes the much awaited sequel, Ip Man 2.

The first one, based on a true story about a famous Hongkong martial arts master, had also bagged the Hong Kong Film Awards’ best movie and best choreography awards.

According to producer Raymond Wong, Ip Man 2 will break the impression that sequels are often no match to the original movies. Ip Man 2, he assured, has a more enriching storyline and stunning action moves that would push the movie to an even greater heights.

The movie picks up from where the first one ended, with the protagonist Ip Man leaving Foshan for Hongkong after defending the dignity of the Chinese against Japanese aggressors during the war.

But life in Hongkong is just as hard. However, he is determined to spread his style of martial arts, known as Wing Chun, despite the fact that nobody has heard of it. In the process, he comes up against not only other martial arts masters who claim monopoly in the art and challenge his right to accept pupils, but also the westerners who tend to look down on the Chinese.

Despite the obstacles thrown in his path, Ip Man gradually earns respect from his peers as well as the foreigners and finally, manages to spread Wing Chun through a group of dedicated students. The late martial arts legend Bruce Lee was a disciple of the real-life Ip Man.

According to the filmmakers, while Ip Man was a story about survival, Ip Man 2 is about living. Donnie Yen reprises his role as Ip Man and combines action with humanity, giving a performance that had both the director and the editor singing his praises

A particular scene where he bumps into an old friend who has lost everything, including his memory, and living in fear peaks with chemistry and emotion and could well be a breakthrough in his acting career.

The other main members of the cast are Xiong Dai-lin who plays Ip Man’s wife; Simon Yam as Chow Ching-chuen who fought alongside Ip Man during the Japanese occupation; Fan Siu-wong as Kam San-chau, a bully who mends his ways; Sammo Hung as a rival kung fu master; and Huang Xiao-ming who plays Wong Shun Leung, Ip Man’s first pupil and the man who ultimately introduced Bruce Lee to him. Hung is also the movie’s action choreographer. The cast also includes Kelvin Cheng, Kent Cheng, Li Chak, To Yue-hong and Pierre Ngo.

Being an action movie, Ip Man 2 naturally focuses much of its attention on its action sequences and Sammo Hung said that he designed the moves in such a way that they flow with the movie and help the development of the story.

They not only show the traditional features of Wing Chun, but also emphasises the free fight techniques in actual combat, matching the mood and rhythm of the scenes and balancing the exaggeration of the movie and the applicability of the action.

Of course, with real-life martial arts masters like Donnie Yen, Hung and Fan Siu-wong at the helm, one can expect nothing but heart-stopping action in Ip Man 2.

But martial arts is not just about fighting or winning battles. Director Yip Wai-shun stressed that the spirit of Chinese martial arts is to stop the war and not to fight.

He said. "The aim of learning wushu is neither to fight nor to win but to eliminate the violation and misunderstanding between oneself and others in order to respect and share.

"The winning is not solely physical, but can escalate to another level – winning without battle. We can learn this through Ip’s story."

Ip Man 2, distributed by Golden Screen Cinemas, is scheduled for release in Malaysia on April 29.

http://www.thesundaily.com/article.cfm?id=44263

I've seen this movie!

Movie is great because of really martial arts in action...

I simply liked it because of martial arts display :)

Mike Leeder

Javier 33, i'd be interested in knwoing where you saw 'Ip Man 2'

We only finished post a few weeks back and it has yet to be released..

You sure you don't mean you saw the first 'Ip Man'?

Guest ekisha

Great. First we have the sequel to Ip Man and Kent Cheng in it. Second -The Legend is Born - Ip Man with Yuen Biao and Sammo. Looks like we're going to enjoy these Ip Man movies.:tongue:

I agree I'm sure Javier has seen the first one. It's highly unlikely that he has seen IP Man 2. If so I'm jealous as all hell!!! :tongue:

Drunken Monk

I'm still excited for this. I think the Wing Chun choreography is something to behold. I love the speed and finesse.

SAMMO HUNG IS AS SHARP AS EVER

March 15, 2010

The Wilson Yip Wai Shun directed, Donnie Yen Chi Tan starred IP MAN 2 will be released in April. In order to break the audience's impression that the sequel is never as soon as the first film, Yip Wai Shun not only put some thought into the drama and continued to leave the action to the Hong Kong Film Award Best Action Design winner for IP MAN Sammo Hung Kam Bo, but also asked Big Brother to go from off to on camera to play the film's Hung Fist grand master who had an exciting duel with Yen Chi Tan.

Despite being in his 60s and his fat figure, Hung Kam Bo still personally performed all the fight scenes in the film. He was just as agile as ever and was even called "the most agile fat guy" in the Mainland. Earlier in the film trailer the fight between Yen Chi Tan and Hung Kam Bo caught the most attention. After SPL (SAT POR LONG), Yen Chi Tan and Hung Kam Bo's on screen fight has been highly anticipated. The "Hung Fist vs. Wing Tsun" super fight would also become IP MAN 2's most looked forward to action selling point.

http://hktopten.blogspot.com/2010/03/20100316-sammo-hung-is-as-sharp-as-ever.html

Morgoth Bauglir

I didn’t realize Lo Meng was in this. Wow. I’m not a huge fan of part 1, but I liked it. But now I’m super excited for part 2, as if Sammo vs Donnie wasn’t enough. Any idea what kind of a character Lo Meng is playing? It’d be cool to see him as a quiet man, who messes people up when he gets mad. I would question whether or not he can still perform some good action, but since he does well in 49 Days from 2006, I’m not worried. 49 Days is a mediocre movie I thought, but Lo Meng made it well worth watching, even though I remember it being a small role.

I didn’t realize Lo Meng was in this. Wow. I’m not a huge fan of part 1, but I liked it. But now I’m super excited for part 2, as if Sammo vs Donnie wasn’t enough. Any idea what kind of a character Lo Meng is playing? It’d be cool to see him as a quiet man, who messes people up when he gets mad. I would question whether or not he can still perform some good action, but since he does well in 49 Days from 2006, I’m not worried. 49 Days is a mediocre movie I thought, but Lo Meng made it well worth watching, even though I remember it being a small role.

According to the caption in the article I posted, he'll be playing a Monkey style master of another kung fu school who challenges Ip Man. In this scene, Ip Man also gets challenged by a Ba Gua style master before finally facing Sammo Hung/Hung Kuen. If not mentioned, Fung Hak On is also in this (in one of the wallpapers posted above) so it might be possible that he's the BaGua Zhang opponent.

OH my God.....as if I wasn't already excited for IP MAN 2 now Lo Meng and Fung Hak On....are you freaking kidding me???

This needs to come out like yesterday!! :tongue:

Archived