Ip Man 2

Milkyway

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ip Man 2 Looks Poised to Better the Original

At 12 Shanghai Film Festival, Raymond Wong announces that Ip Man 2 would begin production in Shanghai this August. He says that the script has been completed by his son, Edmond Wong. And he's very happy that his son can write such a great script as Ip Man.

Bruce Lee would be making brief appearances in the film after all. The production is currently on a worldwide talent scout for a 10-year old Bruce Lee, who first became acquainted with Ip Man, and an 18 year-old Bruce Lee, who formally studied under the latter.

Wilson Yip confirms, "Bruce Lee'd definitely show up. Otherwise, it won't lead to Ip Man 3."

Wilson Yip adds, "I hope to find someone who looks very much like Bruce Lee, who would be acknowledged by the audience. And he must possess bravery, and is a youth with great disposition."

And Ip Man 2 is expected to scale even greater heights, Donnie Yen elaborates, "The martial arts scenes must tie in with character development. I will act according to the script. Ip Man just arrived in Hong Kong, how did he turn into a great master of his times, what were his sentiments? It's up to Sammo Hung to choreograph the martial arts sequences, I'll do my level best in delivering the drama and action scenes.

"Initially, some said I won't be able to bring out the air of grandmaster, but I felt that, whether we are actors or not, as long as we put our mind to it, nothing is impossible. I spent a great deal of time on portrayal of Yip Man, I'm glad to have attained today's results.

"What worried me most was my physical conditions, I have sustained multiple injuries, especially when filming Yip Man, I couldn't even lift my right arm.

"Everyone knows that big brother Sammo Hung is very demanding, so I hope I can approach Ip Man 2 in a relaxing mood. This time around, I would be taking up the cudgels against brother Sammo Hung, we hope to shoot the most archetypal fight scene, so everyone is very nervous.

"Sammo Hung has been telling me that he's facing great pressure because of Ip Man's success. Not only is he serving as the martial arts choreographer, but also has a significant role in Ip Man 2. Both of us are under pressure, I believe stress is good for us, it gives us the impetus to improve even further."

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/655-Ip-Man-2-Looks-Poised-to-Better-the-Original.html

Guest WuxiaFan
Ip Man 2 Looks Poised to Better the Original

"Sammo Hung has been telling me that he's facing great pressure because of Ip Man's success. Not only is he serving as the martial arts choreographer, but also has a significant role in Ip Man 2. Both of us are under pressure, I believe stress is good for us, it gives us the impetus to improve even further."

I hope that they cast REAL martial artists for Sammo and Donnie. I noticed Sammo expressed frustration in IP MAN in trying to choreograph a non-martial artist. In any event, very much look forward to 2 and 3.

I hope they get the flow better in this one. I found much of the wing chun in the first film to be a bit stiff looking. Given that the streets of Hong Kong lend themselves to a more contemporary choreography, hopefully it will be more like Flash Points fighting but with Wing Chun.

Young Bruce Lees Wanted for Ip Man 2

The producers of "Ip Man 2" have started a talent search for two Bruce Lee-like actors for the sequel to last year's kung-fu film hit, according to a report on Sina.com.

The two selected actors will appear in "Ip Man 2", the new biopic about Bruce Lee's master. An 8-to-12 year-old is expected to play a young Bruce Lee when he first met Ip Man, and an 18-to-22 year-old will play the kung fu star as a young adult when he started studying under his master.

"Resemblance in appearance will be considered first and foremost, and then the resemblance of manners, and last martial arts and acting skills," said Wilson Yip, the film's director.

Actors can apply for an audition through Henan Satellite TV and BTV-8.

Ten finalists from each age group will vie for the roles on the martial arts television show "Wu Lin Feng" on Henan Satellite TV at the end of July.

"Ip Man 2" is scheduled to start filming in August.

Yip also said that a third installment is under preparation, which would contain more about Bruce Lee. If the actor who portrays the superstar in his early adulthood proves to be a success in the second sequel, he will probably get the role again, Yip said.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2009/07/02/1221s498392.htm

Fan Siu Wong, who's been training in Wing Chun recently and even has a wooden dummy installed in his home, talks a little on his role in Ip Man 2: When Jin Shan Zhao arrives in Hong Kong in search of his granny, he resolves his feuds with Yip Man, becomes friends with him and even starts learning Wing Chun.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/672-Brief-Look-at-Young-Yip-Mans-Premise.html

This is becoming like Wong Fei Hung! So many liberties being taken with his story. It is a real shame that nobody wants to make a film about Sum Nung. His story would need no embellishment, being a half cast and having to go through the Cultural Revolution he had the knife wounds on his arms to prove the encounters he had to go through!

Well, how about somebody just make interesting stories about people. WFH, FSY, etc. Whatever. I could give a, if the person is real. Forget that. Make interesting movies, interesting characters, period. CC where are you?

it's supposed to start filming next month, with a release projected for around the Lunar New Year 2010, so probably either late Jan. or early Feb.

Both Wilson Yip's Ip Man 2 and Wong Kar Wai's The Great Master are slated for production next month.

Budgeted at 100m yuan, Ip Man 2 traces Yip Man's life as he arrives in Hong Kong. Raymond Wong reveals that Donnie Yen's pay has doubled since the first film, commanding around 15m to 20m yuan. Ip Man 3 is currently in the process of being written, and it will have bigger focus on Bruce Lee.

Bruce Lee casting call is concluding soon, and 12-year old 潘润康 Pan Run Kang (video: http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/FnecROlUo9o/) from Harbin, who not only resembles Bruce Lee but is also trained in martial arts, stands a very good chance of playing the child Bruce Lee.

Huang Xiao Ming will join the film as Sammo Hung's disciple, while, this time around, To Yu Hang returns and takes on another role - Donnie Yen's disciple. The dispute between the disciples of Hung Gar and Wing Chun leads to their masters' eventual confrontation.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/680-Three-Yip-Man-Biopics-to-Commence-Filming-Soon.html

Ip Man 2: One Bruce Lee Almost Found; Another Remains to be Discovered

-- Ip Man 2 --

Ip Man 2, directed by Wilson Yip, starring Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung, who also serves as the martial arts director, Kent Cheng, Lynn Hung, Huang Xiao Ming, Fan Siu Wong To Yu Hang, Ashton Chen aka Shi Xiao Long, is beginning production August 10.

Contradicting an earlier news, rather than To Yu Hang, Raymond Wong says that Huang Xiao Ming, non-martial artist, would be playing Yip Man's disciple, King of Hand-talk, Huang Jin, which is based on Yip Man's real-life disciple Wong Shun Leung. Huang Jin is a keen martial artist but his youth and brashness often land him in sticky situations.

The kid Bruce Lee has been narrowed down to two candidates: 10-year-old Jiang Dai Yan from Henan and 12-year-old Pan Run Kang from Heilongjiang but they haven't found an ideal candidate for teen Bruce Lee. Bruce Lee scenes would be pushed to October as they continue the talent hunt.

http://www.wu-jing.org/happenings/archives/683-Ip-Man-2-One-Bruce-Lee-Almost-Found;-Another-Remains-to-be-Discovered.html

Archived