Ip Man 2

Milkyway

bamboo spear

Just finally got around to watching this today, and really liked it. Sure the Westerners were portrayed in their usual Kung Fu movie manner, but at least they paid boxers their dues. Without kicks, knees, elbows, throws, holds, pins, chokes or striking prohibited areas, I don't think any of those guys would have been able to last a few rounds with a powerful, fast, precise boxer. Props.

And I was hoping that the dojo-basher from the first film would get to fight, since he was my favorite part of that film, but I liked his character arc, and seeing that his pupil was "going Anakin" in the same way. All-in-all, very good. I was skeptical because I had been burned by the "Return of Chen Zhen" movies, which I hated, but Ip Man is now in my Fist of Legend/Fearless category.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I finally got around to seeing this last night and thought it was a good film but really paled in comparison to the original in every respect. Ip Man's biggest strength in my opinion was its gripping story, the sequel just didn't have remotely near the same impact. I was left thinking that it reminded me quite a bit of Fist of Legend and Legend Of A Fighter except that it just kind of felt racist and definitely wasn't in the same league as either movie.

I also didn't think a lot of most of the fights particularly the end against the boxer. that certainly wasn't a thrilling finale by any stretch of the imagination. I liked most of the parts with Sammo but could've done without the wire work . It's funny in the first film I thought Donnie Yen was too good and you never felt like he was going to lose. In this film in the finale I didn't doubt for a second he would beat the boxer but I just thought he didn't look as good, like they were trying to build the tension to make out it was going to be a tougher fight than it was. I also wasn't keen on all of the tight camerawork during the fights.

As I said it was a good film but to me was quite a disappointment. Also what was the point in bringing back Fan Sui Wong after a brilliant performance in the first film, to not even use in any martial arts scenes? I kept waiting and hoping to see something, anything from him. But nada.

For me personally, this was an extremely disappointing film especially when compared to the first. It seems rushed - in writing and choreography. Can't picture myself ever watching it again, no redeeming factors.

Also, I completely agree about Fan Siu Wong's role- one of the best modern day screen fighters and they completely wasted him, it was great seeing him get along with Ip Man after their conflicts in the first film, but no fighting together...

Possible spoiler, but the kid who played a young legend-to-be was made to completely overdo his performance, it was rediculous and about as subtle as a knee to the groin.

ShaOW!linDude

Possible spoiler, but the kid who played a young legend-to-be was made to completely overdo his performance, it was rediculous and about as subtle as a knee to the groin.

I frown at you contemptuously as I thumb my nose at your remark.:tongue:

For me personally, this was an extremely disappointing film especially when compared to the first...

Possible spoiler, but the kid who played a young legend-to-be was made to completely overdo his performance, it was ridiculous and about as subtle as a knee to the groin.

Possible Spoiler:

I agree with both points... Regarding your last point- I've never seen a kid in film made to look exactly like him. Should have been cast in "The Family" film; Bruce Lee: My Brother.

ip-man-2-movie-4.jpg

I frown at you contemptuously as I thumb my nose at your remark.:tongue:

I do my best Sammo / Fat Dragon impression and put on some shades. I agree with The Dragon, the kid did look good for the role, it's just what they made him do, it was more suited to a Kung Fu Kids film.

This film could lose a lot of criticism if it wasn't so far off from Ip Man's actual life. It would've been better served as a stand alone movie about a fictional character because, basically, that's what it is.

In regards to what you guys are saying about the kid who overdoes the portrayal Bruce, however briefly, I actually find it to be a refreshing nod to him. However, if you want to discuss overportrayal than how about the idot actor who plays the westerner? That guy was horrible and an absolute embarrassment. Btw, this sentiment may be because I am an American who saw the film upon it's release in China. Imagine, seeing this westerner, I can't even remember if he was supposed to be an Englishman because the guy's accent was additionaly horrifying, mouthing off and going overboard in every scene. The audience was getting royally annoyed and I was the only westerner in the entire theater. Dang, dude, shut up! I don't wanna get my butt kicked here!

But seriously, good fictional film.

The Ip Man movies fall somewhere between fiction and true historical events so they should be either semi-biopics, mythical biopics or both. Info on the definition of the word "biopic" here: http://www.froginawell.com/whatsabiopic.html

Here's info on Yip Man's life which may give out hints of what's true and untrue in the movies: http://www.wingchun.si/yipman.htm

This film could lose a lot of criticism if it wasn't so far off from Ip Man's actual life. It would've been better served as a stand alone movie about a fictional character because, basically, that's what it is.

In regards to what you guys are saying about the kid who overdoes the portrayal Bruce, however briefly, I actually find it to be a refreshing nod to him. However, if you want to discuss overportrayal than how about the idot actor who plays the westerner? That guy was horrible and an absolute embarrassment. Btw, this sentiment may be because I am an American who saw the film upon it's release in China. Imagine, seeing this westerner, I can't even remember if he was supposed to be an Englishman because the guy's accent was additionaly horrifying, mouthing off and going overboard in every scene. The audience was getting royally annoyed and I was the only westerner in the entire theater. Dang, dude, shut up! I don't wanna get my butt kicked here!

But seriously, good fictional film.

Darren Shalavi was the guy who played the western villain. And if you've ever seen Bloodmoon, the movie directed by (the other, other) Tony Leung, you'd think his performance in Ip Man 2 was Oscar worthy!

Archived