Ip Man 2

Milkyway

The English actors really over-acted. Their lines sent in the auddiene into hysterics. The movie could have used less WWE type stuff & more class. Near the end, I kept think about Fearless, which handled similar stuff in a much better way. Ip Man 2 was still fun, but it wasn't as good as the first. People keep calling it Rocky IV. One guy in the crowd at Fantasia yelled out "Adrian!"

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the film. The Wing Chun was better and more fluid than the first. I also disagree that Kung Fu and boxing are not a good match. If ever there was a good fighting method to pitch against wing chun it would be boxing. What let it down and what contributes to the reason only bother to wath up to the masters matches on reruns is the awful acting and lines from the westerners.

I don't think straight boxing and wing chun are a good match. Kickboxing and wing chun match up better imo. Wing chun and boxing(with gloves) in a ring match, match up even worse imo.

Ring type fights are born with limitaions but can overcome them(Undisputed 2 & 3).

There was nothing fluid about anything in the first movie. This was shot so differently, it couldn't help but be helped by that.

The ring fights seemed to be shot to tell a story of them being beaten down and getting the audience to feel for Sammo and Don, rather than be about dope fights between the 3. It wasn't about hung ga, wc or boxing and how they go against each other and counters and such. It was Rocky.

Bronx Rican
People keep calling it Rocky IV.

I just got home from work, where a co-worker who'd seen "2" told me pretty much the same: it was a lot like Rocky IV. Shame about the apparent issues, but I'm fairly hyped to see this when I get the chance.

I just got home from work, where a co-worker who'd seen "2" told me pretty much the same: it was a lot like Rocky IV. Shame about the apparent issues, but I'm fairly hyped to see this when I get the chance.

Yup a little cheesy....but awesome fight scenes.

The Amazing Psycho Per

I don't know if you guys ever watched the interview with Darren Shahlavi in the HKL version of Tai Chi Boxer... He comments his overacting in the movie. He doesn't pretend to be a good actor, but that's not how he came in to play the role. It was YWP who kept asking him act this way, to exagerate more, thus to overact. And it's most probably what happened in IM 2 also... That's how the directors want them to act. Have you guys never watched a HK film? Overacting isn't new over there...

Plus, I don't see how the last fight in Ip Man is that much better then the one in Ip Man 2... To each is own, but I thought this one was better. It took itself a lot less seriously and it kicked more asses.

Apart from the foreigners' acting, I thought the second half was as engaging. It may be inspired by another movie but the built-up was great on its own and things as well as emotions and intensity were executed and grasped respectively distinctly.

What got me about the end fight was that if it had been on the street Ip Man would have his ass handed to him!

the fight scenes are exaggerated.

too many "Wired Works" (using wires and pulleys).

it's a mix of Kung Fu and Sci-Fi.

Does anyone know how old Bruce Lee was when he met Ip Man, or how long he studied under Ip Man? I was under the

impression Bruce met Ip man in his formulative young adult years, but in the movie Ip Man they have Bruce Lee meeting

him around the age of 6. This leads me to believe they not only plan to make a statement that Bruce Lee studied under

Ip man for years and years, but in the process ''take'' the opportunity to create another larger than life LEGEND out of Ip

man that he probably does not deserve. In the films they make him out to be some sort of larger than life historical hero.

ipman2b1.jpg

ipman2b2.jpg

What got me about the end fight was that if it had been on the street Ip Man would have his ass handed to him!

Heh, well in real life most boxers would eat a Wing Chun-only guy alive.

I guess it's really not about the fight, but Ip Man's attitudes about life that make his character great.

Daigoro, Bruce started at age 13 with Ip Man in 1954.

finally got around to see this and man you all were right about the westerners. They were absolutely horride..

As for the action, top notch once again and yes it was surprising to have sammo hung be beaten up that fast, which doesn't make sense cause he was suppose to be master of the masters..

except for the westerners..this was a really good sequel..

In the films they make him out to be some sort of larger than life historical hero.

I've no idea when they met, but for sure BL only studied later in life. However, it's just artistic license. A nice little caveat at the end of the movie that might segway into a third film. As for realistic portrayals of folk heroes, I don't see much historical accuracy in Robin Hood movies, King Arthur movies, etc. No reason why chinese folk heroes can't be trated likewise.

Morgoth Bauglir

Pretty disappointed with this. I liked part 1, rate it 7/10, but part 2 only gets a 5/10. The story is very boring. The first few fights are impressive, but then get repetitive. And I don’t know what they were thinking with the wirework. It looks so stupid.

I actually enjoyed this film, IM1 was certainly the better of the two but this was not without it's charm. I try to see past the "that could never happen in real life" mindset and enjoy films for what they are...which is stories. This one was action packed, touching, funny and inspiring..just what i look for in a good Kung Fu film.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Just got the Well Go USA bluray edition of this movie and I must forewarned you guys that the English Dubbing is an abomination... Do they not know they're being recorded in the studio?? Was it a monday or something, Jesus Fucking Christ put some passion into the voice over acting please!!!

I've been trying to get around to buying the well go version of this movie but I've been hearing a scene was cut. The scene in the trailer where Ip Man chops up those two students at the market is what I'm referring to. Can anyone tell me if the scene is still in or not because I loved that part and it would be a shame if they cut it from the dvd?

Just got the Well Go USA bluray edition of this movie and I must forewarned you guys that the English Dubbing is an abomination... Do they not know they're being recorded in the studio?? Was it a monday or something, Jesus Fucking Christ put some passion into the voice over acting please!!!

Too bad. I was looking forward to see a good English dub of this!

I've been trying to get around to buying the well go version of this movie but I've been hearing a scene was cut. The scene in the trailer where Ip Man chops up those two students at the market is what I'm referring to. Can anyone tell me if the scene is still in or not because I loved that part and it would be a shame if they cut it from the dvd?

It's not! I forgot about this part in the trailer until you brought it up. I went back and watched it and it isn't there. They have the original trailer that shows it and even a behind the scene feature that shows it, but it's not in the movie! Why, WHY would they cut that out? It was so awesome.

I did not see any difference between the Wellgo US blue-ray and the Chinese version. The fish market fight is the same in both.

froffeecoffee
It's not! I forgot about this part in the trailer until you brought it up. I went back and watched it and it isn't there. They have the original trailer that shows it and even a behind the scene feature that shows it, but it's not in the movie! Why, WHY would they cut that out? It was so awesome.

Is it possible the scene was filmed, but never used in the final cut. U.S. Movies do this all the time. In the original trailer for The Dark Knight, the Tumbler is driving in the secret lair, but it wasn't in the movie.

I did not see any difference between the Wellgo US blue-ray and the Chinese version. The fish market fight is the same in both.

Yes, it is the same.

My question is, was the scene ever used in another version?

Archived