Ip Man 2

Milkyway

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loved Ip Man 2,it was alot more fast paced and action packed then the first,altho the english foreigners are always portrayed as loud mouthed and such i could overlook the cheese that was sprinkled in those areas. Sammo is in great form aswell. Over all I really enjoyed it,but as a whole I enjoyed Ip Man 1 alot more.

make believe
Will anyone be going to NYAFF to see Ip Man 2? Sammo will be at the screenings!

I would like to but I'm not sure I'll actually be able to make it as much as I would love to see Sammo and maybe challenge him to a fight. I wish there were more than 2 showings of it.

More than likely I'll just end up picking up the Universe DVD of it when it comes out.

Yes, I'll be there as well! Can't wait to see Sammo! :xd:

Guest ccaraballo

IMO, I was pretty disappointed with IP MAN 2. Although I enjoyed watching the movie, I didn't like the second half of the movie too much. When IP MAN 1 came out, I was in love with the movie and tried to force a lot of my friends and family to watch it. It was a movie that I could literally watch ten times before I got a bit tired of it. The story line and action really took my breathe away.

However, IP MAN 2 is a movie that I could only fully enjoy watching it once or maybe twice. In fact, I tried to watch it again last night and turned it off at the midway point. I think Donnie Yen is bad ass and he should make more movies like this where he is displaying his pure martial art skills. I love martial arts movies, but I truly hate movies with a lot of sci fi fighting and crazy wire tricks. Is Donnie Yen making any contemporary pure fighting movies similar to what Jackie Chan and Jet Li did when they first broke out in the USA? Jackie Chan has turned more into a comedian now due to his age I guess and the last Jet Li movie I really enjoyed was Fist of Legend.

Don't get me wrong... IP MAN 2 was a really good movie but I thought IP MAN 1 was borderline epic and I guess the ultra high expectations of the sequel were unrealistic.

I'm going to try to make it there. I would love to see Sammo and try and get a pic with him. But there is also a Korean movie that I want to attend also. Thank Goodness I live in NY!

make believe

I would like to go but one of the main things keeping me from going is that it will be super crowded and be this big project where you will have to wait on line for hours if you want a halfway decent seat. I've never been to a festival like this so have no idea how packed they get, if at all.

I'll be there June 27th!

Guest WuxiaFan

Yesasia will be releasing a box set of IP MAN 1 & 2, both will be the 2-Disc Special Editions by Universe Laser (HK). All of the special features on disc 2 of both sets are subtitled in English:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/ip-man-1-ip-man-2-2-disc-edition-dvd-hong-kong-version/1022831909-0-0-0-en/info.html

DDDHouse also has both editions, but not in a box set. However, their prices are cheaper for the 2-disc editions:

IP MAN 1:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=9335

IP MAN 2:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=10966

IMO, Universe has done an excellent job with IP MAN. The transfers are flawless and the subs are well written and easy to read. The DVD menus are dual language and they are region 0 to boot! Both sites list June 25, 2010 as the release date! :smile:

Ip Man 2 (Ironpack BD) Specification:

Soundtracks: Mandarin DTS 5.1, Mandarin DD 5.1, Mandarin Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Mandarin LPCM 7.1

Subtitles: Simplified Chinese (optional)

Disc capacity: 46.6 GB

Runtime: 1 hour 47 min 49 sec

SID: IFPI X431 (Sony DADC)

Extras:

Making of (12 min 52 sec)

Actors/Actresses interviews (1 hour 30 min 58 sec)

Trailer (2 min 32 sec)

Region Free / MPEG-4 AVC / Anamorphic Widescreen

Pictures:

Front:

yewen2bdip01.jpg

Back

yewen2bdip02.jpg

Inside

yewen2bdip03.jpg

Yesasia will be releasing a box set of IP MAN 1 & 2, both will be the 2-Disc Special Editions by Universe Laser (HK). All of the special features on disc 2 of both sets are subtitled in English:

http://www.yesasia.com/us/ip-man-1-ip-man-2-2-disc-edition-dvd-hong-kong-version/1022831909-0-0-0-en/info.html

DDDHouse also has both editions, but not in a box set. However, their prices are cheaper for the 2-disc editions:

IP MAN 1:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=9335

IP MAN 2:

http://www.dddhouse.com/v3/product_details.php?ProductID=10966

IMO, Universe has done an excellent job with IP MAN. The transfers are flawless and the subs are well written and easy to read. The DVD menus are dual language and they are region 0 to boot! Both sites list June 25, 2010 as the release date! :smile:

For Ip Man (I), I think Hong Kong release is terrible. The color is over-saturated. The China 3-disc editions is the best in Picture Quality and extras so far, the picture quality even superior to UK blu-ray, UK DVD, Taiwanese Blu-ray, Taiwanese DVD, Hong Kong DVD, Korean DVD, Thai DVD, Singapore DVD etc.

Here is the out of print 3-Disc China Ip Man:

http://www.gouduo.com/ware_11049.html

Top: Hong Kong edition vs bottom China 3-Disc edition (cap by PowerDVD 6 at default settings)

r3ipman02.jpg

r6ipman02.jpg

And here are Thai edition (top) vs China 3-Disc edition (bottom), (cap by PowerDVD 9 at default settings with auto picture enhancement)

ipmanr3thai.jpg

ipmanr63disc.jpg

BlurayStation3

I have the 3-disc Ip Man (1). It's pretty good, but too bad it only has the Mandarin dub.

OpiumKungFuCracker

I want to get the ironpack so bad but I can't read Chinese on that website... Is there another site that sells this and is in English??

Guest WuxiaFan
For Ip Man (I), I think Hong Kong release is terrible. The color is over-saturated. The China 3-disc editions is the best in Picture Quality and extras so far, the picture quality even superior to UK blu-ray, UK DVD, Taiwanese Blu-ray, Taiwanese DVD, Hong Kong DVD, Korean DVD, Thai DVD, Singapore DVD etc.

The China 3-disc editions don't have English subs nor are the special features English subtitled, so as someone who doesn't read or speak Chinese, I don't give a shit about those versions. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

As far as your screen caps, I think the differences are marginal at best. I put my IP MAN disc in my Oppo DVD player and stopped it at those scenes and the colors are not over-saturated. In fact, they look as clear as your China edition screen caps. So, I don't know if you have a piece of crap DVD player, piece of crap TV, or piece of crap computer, the HK version looks flawless on my system. Even older discs I have by Universe Laser look good. :squigglemouth:

The China 3-disc editions don't have English subs nor are the special features English subtitled, so as someone who doesn't read or speak Chinese, I don't give a shit about those versions. :tinysmile_angry2_t:

As far as your screen caps, I think the differences are marginal at best. I put my IP MAN disc in my Oppo DVD player and stopped it at those scenes and the colors are not over-saturated. In fact, they look as clear as your China edition screen caps. So, I don't know if you have a piece of crap DVD player, piece of crap TV, or piece of crap computer, the HK version looks flawless on my system. Even older discs I have by Universe Laser look good. :squigglemouth:

that's because you only own a terrible release yourself and you have nothing else to compare with. you don't even realize how bad Universe DVDs are.. Universe DVDs from hong kong are notoriuos for it's unstable quality.

Guest WuxiaFan
that's because you only own a terrible release yourself and you have nothing else to compare with. you don't even realize how bad Universe DVDs are.. Universe DVDs from hong kong are notoriuos for it's unstable quality.

I compared the image from my Universe DVD to your screen caps...

:khi3f:

make believe

it seems the Thai version is the best if you want to get picky about it. You're right though, the 3 disc version looks 'slightly' better than the Hong Kong version but I wouldn't say it looks that much better either. I have the Universe disc and it's fine. No need to hate on it.

OpiumKungFuCracker

Any word on that ironcase bluray edition??? Is it in English or on any of the retail sites for sale that is in English???

it seems the Thai version is the best if you want to get picky about it. You're right though, the 3 disc version looks 'slightly' better than the Hong Kong version but I wouldn't say it looks that much better either. I have the Universe disc and it's fine. No need to hate on it.

you shouldn't hate the Universe disc at all because that's the only version you can get.

if you like the thai version, i can give it to you for free. :)

Just got back from the screening tonight. Both Sammo and Simon Yam were there at the beginning for about 10 min before they were being taken to the airport. :squigglemouth: No autographs again, but a quick thanks and couple funny anecdotes from the film.

I really liked the film, but I have to put it slightly below part 1. All the criticism regarding the boxer and near-propaganda regarding the British are justified. It got to be a little much and I found myself dreading the lines that any of the western actors were about to deliver. You could tell they'd be horrendous and for the most part they were. Donnie and Sammo's fight was excellent, lived up to the expectations I had going into it. I think it's really hard to show Western Boxing vs Wing Chun (or any kung fu style) because they are so different. IMHO, boxing doesn't have fluid motion that you need for great choreography. In that regards the final match is a bit of a let down.

Apologies for not knowing a lot about Wong Leung, but did anyone else think that it was actually Bruce Lee when they first introduced his character? He looks a bit like him and had the same mannerisms. It almost felt like an intentional trick.

Guest WuxiaFan
I really liked the film, but I have to put it slightly below part 1. All the criticism regarding the boxer and near-propaganda regarding the British are justified. It got to be a little much and I found myself dreading the lines that any of the western actors were about to deliver. You could tell they'd be horrendous and for the most part they were. Donnie and Sammo's fight was excellent, lived up to the expectations I had going into it. I think it's really hard to show Western Boxing vs Wing Chun (or any kung fu style) because they are so different. IMHO, boxing doesn't have fluid motion that you need for great choreography. In that regards the final match is a bit of a let down.

Couldn't agree with you more on every point you made above. I loved the film up until the first boxing match. I thought the fish market fight was just awesome, but I was hoping Ip Man would have really injured a lot of Sammo's disciples. I was also hoping Ip Man would have picked up a different weapon than the twin swords, as I knew he was going to slice anyone open. I wanted to see him use the bow staff again to clean up. I did love Sammo's entrance into the fish market. He was very bad ass, as he should be. Sammo was also bad ass at Ip Man's "challenge of the masters". I did love the Sammo/Donnie fight - it was awesome, but I would loved to have seen more fights with other masters. :rolleyes:

Where I started to loose faith in Sammo was seeing how the he let the British walk all over him. Then when he squared off against Twister and started getting his ass kicked, I was let down. I would have liked to have seen Sammo give Twister a run for his money, as Sammo was supposed to have been the leader of all of the martial art masters, thus he was the baddest. He should not have gotten beat up that bad and that quickly. So, I was disappointed in how that played out. :cool:

The rest of the story became predictable after that. Without spoiling the movie, we know that Ip Man comes back to challenge twister. Again, I agree with Gaijin that western boxing vs. kung fu just doesn't translate that well. However, I thought that fight was much better than the fight with Sammo. The whole Sammo-vs-Twister, then Ip Man-vs-Twister was similar to ROCKY IV, but that's about it. There wasn't this extensive training scene with Donnie and Ip Man and Sammo weren't really friends before the match, so I really didn't take it that it was a rip from ROCKY IV. :squigglemouth:

The fight scenes in IP MAN (1) was just phenominal compared to those in #2. Maybe it was because there wasn't any western boxing. But in FEARLESS, the two fights with Jet Li against the wrestlers worked well with all of the other fight scenes. To me, it just was anti-climatic and a let down. But overall, I really liked it and I'll watch it many more times, just as I have with IP MAN (1). :smile:

Apologies for not knowing a lot about Wong Leung, but did anyone else think that it was actually Bruce Lee when they first introduced his character? He looks a bit like him and had the same mannerisms. It almost felt like an intentional trick.

Also agree with you here. Felt the same way. To me, they could have waited until #3 to introduce Bruce. Speaking of #3, after seeing Donnie play Ip Man superbly for 2 films, I can't see anyone else in the role. If Donnie doesn't return for #3, it won't be the same. Donnie is now Ip Man.

:yociexp14:

Unfortunately part 2 is by far the lesser movie. I really like Donnie Yen's performance but the Westerners are indeed horrible (why oh why can't they hire better actors and write better dialogue) and the story isn't that great.

Oh and Sammo is as always a joy to watch, but boy does he have an ugly kid...

Archived