Ip Man 2

Milkyway

nectarsis
Just seen it and have mixed feelings.

Is it as good as the first film?...No it isnt.

Is it a good film...Of course.

The first half is by far the best with the story continuing nicely and some great fight action.

The 2nd half is like a different film and the comparisons to Rocky 4 are justified.

Its as if the director ran out of ideas half way through and saw the Rocky film and stole the story. And why do western actors in these films all have to be such muppets??

Arnt there any decent western actors in Hong Kong?...The anti western (British) tone i found a bit boring and cliche which wasnt helped by the stilted English dialog.

The Bruce Lee bit at the end was a nice touch, but i think they should end it there as the 2nd half of the film was most likely made up anyway where else can they go with the story?

I might sound a bit harsh, but its still a very good film and worth a watch, Donnie Yen and Sammo excellent as expected, good to see Lo Mang and Fong Hak On again but Fang Siu Wongs role was wasted, he doesnt fight at all.

I will buy the dvd when it gets released thats for sure.

Just finished this..I couldn't have summed it up any better. Great movie with some issues, still going to buy it.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply
thehangman

Saw it today i really liked it alot more action then the first one,would of been nice to see abit more of simon yam tho.

This is such a lazy movie. Definitely worse than the first. The boxing fights were just horrible.

Tigerstyles
This is such a lazy movie. Definitely worse than the first. The boxing fights were just horrible.

feeling you! not over impressed, the first was great... boxing v Wing Chun zzzz:neutral:

KF competition was good though

First two acts were great, it unravels in the third act. Once "king boxer" shows up the movie goes way south, Darren whatshis face is awful (not that I'm a good actor either), same with all the other white actors in the movie. Just like the first one, it suffers from bad stereotyping, but I guess we're used to this. Still, I'm wondering how much longer this will be the norm.

The whole thing takes a very nationalistic turn too, I thought it was a HK production, not a mainland one funded by the Communist government...(was it? Felt like it.)

Having said that, everything before then is awesome, worthy of the first movie, if not better (mainly because it has less wires and fancy editing than last time out). Donnie and Sammo are both great in this movie, Ip Man's character evolves a bit and shows some different sides, I loved Donnie's even more understated and pure performance, compared to the usual hothead characters he plays.

It does redeem itself with the finale somewhat. There's also more fights this time, that was cool.

Fung Hak On also has a side role, very cool, I want to see him get more work.

Watched it in the Mandarin dub, patiently waiting to see it in Cantonese.

The whole thing takes a very nationalistic turn too, I thought it was a HK production, not a mainland one funded by the Communist government...(was it? Felt like it.)

They are HK productions co-financed by Mainland companies.

Darren whatshis face is awful (not that I'm a good actor either), same with all the other white actors in the movie. Just like the first one, it suffers from bad stereotyping, but I guess we're used to this. Still, I'm wondering how much longer this will be the norm.

If you look at mainstream Hollywood movies Asian's are still heavily stereotyped. We're in the U.S. a multicultural society but look at how awfully stereotyped Asians are in Western movies. (Triad boss, thug, enforcer, karate/kung fu sage master, bruce lee wannabe, nerd/scientist/computer genius, import car racing punk etc.. ) Have those roles to changed much? You can say for the most part no. In China/HK films I don't have much hope of it being any different either, especially since they're catering to primarily a non multicultural audience. It's all about identifying with and reaching the target audience and what sells the most tickets.

They are HK productions co-financed by Mainland companies.

Mandarin Films, you're right that explains it. I wish they had turned the money down. Oh well.

If you look at mainstream Hollywood movies Asian's are still heavily stereotyped. We're in the U.S. a multicultural society but look at how awfully stereotyped Asians are in Western movies. (Triad boss, thug, enforcer, karate/kung fu sage master, bruce lee wannabe, nerd/scientist/computer genius, import car racing punk etc.. ) Have those roles to changed much? You can say for the most part no. In China/HK films I don't have much hope of it being any different either, especially since they're catering to primarily a non multicultural audience. It's all about identifying with and reaching the target audience and what sells the most tickets.

Too true, but if everybody jumps off a bridge...Hollywood hasn't got much better, everybody is to blame. It just felt extra terrible in Ip Man 2, partially because the acting from the Westerners was awful on top of it.

It's funny that you mentioned Bruce in the stereotype section, he was so adamant about showing the rest of the world something different, non-stereotypical about Chinese culture and people and now he's a stereotype too! :squigglemouth:

^I think it's all about the bottom line identifying with core audience that determines who get's cast, who winds up looking good, or bad etc. Past 10 yrs or so we saw many HK talenst attempt to move from HK over to hollywood. Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Michelle Yao, John Woo, Chow Yun Fat, etc etc. Most all of them have hit the same walls as their Asian American predecessors in the West however so now we're seeing some of them return back to the east since Mainland China is modernizing at a dizzying pace and a new audience is there for their work. With more and more tensions going on in the world between East and West for world wide dominance and influence it's no surprise that movies like IP Man and True Legend will feature the gwailo as the crash dummy. Tapping nationalism in the audience has always been a great money maker.

About the quality of the gwailo actors in Chinese movies...umm I don't think you'll get a very big pool of "good white actors" to work off of in Asia and I don't think these Asian film makers could afford many good Western actors anyway with their relatively small budgets.

Westerners have always been terrible at acting in HK films. It doesn't matter to the local audience because the vast majority of them wouldn't be able to tell good English acting from bad. Ip Man 2 isn't really made for westerners.

I'd also like to defend Darren. It is highly doubtful that it was his idea to act OTT. As he commented on the Tai Chi Boxer DVD he was always told to be more and more shouty and ridiculously aggressive even though he wanted to be more subtle. Lets face it, Chinese audiences love the big, brash, arrogant westerner to get the crap kicked out of him.

35hSxccz41w

'Ip Man 2' Earns US$30 Million

Chinese martial-arts film "Ip Man 2" has raked in 200 million yuan (US$30 million) in the 16 days since its release, M1905.com reports.

A celebration party was held Wednesday in Beijing with director Wilson Yip and lead actors Donnie Yen, Sammo Hung and Louis Fan in attendance.

However, producer An Xiaofen says the film could have earned much more. "Ip Man 2" was leaked online on May 4, one week after its release. The pirated version has attracted more than 10 million clicks. That would amount to 300 million yuan (US$44 million) at the box office, the producer estimated.

An says legal actions have been taken against the Web sites involved.

"Ip Man 2", a biopic about Bruce Lee's mentor, Ip Man, opened in cinemas on April 27 following the success of the 2008 film "Ip Man".

Donnie Yen, who plays the title character, said Wednesday that he is unlikely to continue the role if a third installment is made.

"I don't really want to play Ip Man again, but I know many people want me to continue. I don't want to talk more about this for now."

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/05/13/2482s569473.htm

sifu iron perm

wasn't impressed..few nice bits but overall quite boring!

The Bruce Lee refernce did give me a smile and made me want to like it more.

Guest WuxiaFan
wasn't impressed..few nice bits but overall quite boring!

:khi3f:

I haven't seen it yet, but I don't see how that's possbile from all the action in the trailer.

:khi3f:

I haven't seen it yet, but I don't see how that's possbile from all the action in the trailer.

I didn't think it was boring.

In one week ,it's gonna be released on DVD in China (no boot).. i'm waiting for this one :xd:

What about Hong Kong's release? I prefer to watch it in the original dialect of Cantonese not dubbed in Mandarin.

lillippa328

watched it today....

execllent movie....the first 2/3's (as mentioned) were freaking GREAT!!!!!!!

when the white dude shows up, it does chug a little and feels kinda...forced in a way....almost reminds me of Rocky IV lol.....

but picks up at the end and makes up for it...then the little bonus end was cool as well....

9/10!!! The fight scenes are crazy sweet!!

watched it today....

execllent movie....the first 2/3's (as mentioned) were freaking GREAT!!!!!!!

when the white dude shows up, it does chug a little and feels kinda...forced in a way....almost reminds me of Rocky IV lol.....

but picks up at the end and makes up for it...then the little bonus end was cool as well....

9/10!!! The fight scenes are crazy sweet!!

Reminded me of Rocky at the end, but when he made his speech. But, taking a cue from Rock isn't a bad thing, I mean he did end the cold war all by himself. I f I can change, and yous can change.

Reminded me of Rocky at the end, but when he made his speech.

Agreed. The fight between Sammo Hung and the Boxer is quite similar to Rocky IV's "Apollo vs Drago" fight in terms of story wise! =)

Archived