Ip Man 2

Milkyway

How would you rate it compared to the other fight films that came out recently? Of the ones you've seen of course.

Well, I'd say out of the 'recent' films I've only seen Ong Bak 2 and 14 Blades (if that counts). Yeah, I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I'm a Wing Chun practitioner but when it comes to films I'm not biased.

I'd give Ong Bak 2 an 8/10 (maybe a bit higher, but I really need to see Ong Bak 3 to rate it properly, due to the ending).

I'd rate Ip Man 2 higher than the first film but I'm not sure if it has the edge over OB2, pretty close though. Ip Man 2 was familiar territory, as parts of the storyline remind me of other films (but that's natural due to the setting).

14 Blades was more of a wuxia, and as much as I liked it, I liked Ip Man 2 more. My opinion could change after watching either (or both) films again.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks. Though I thought "14 Blades" was lousy, at least there's the chance that this movie might be better :bigsmile:

Well, I'd say out of the 'recent' films I've only seen Ong Bak 2 and 14 Blades (if that counts). Yeah, I've got a lot of catching up to do.

I'm a Wing Chun practitioner but when it comes to films I'm not biased.

I'd give Ong Bak 2 an 8/10 (maybe a bit higher, but I really need to see Ong Bak 3 to rate it properly, due to the ending).

I'd rate Ip Man 2 higher than the first film but I'm not sure if it has the edge over OB2, pretty close though. Ip Man 2 was familiar territory, as parts of the storyline remind me of other films (but that's natural due to the setting).

14 Blades was more of a wuxia, and as much as I liked it, I liked Ip Man 2 more. My opinion could change after watching either (or both) films again.

Does Donnie do chain punches or the flurry punching he does in his other films?

Heywood Jahitme

Saw this on the big screen and I loved the action. There's more of it than there was in the first, Donnie breaks out the flurry punches all over the place and there's some moments of Sammo brilliance in the choreography.

Although far from overused, I still find the wire use a little distracting, Lo Meng and Fung Hak On have action cameos that are all too brief and Fan Siu Wong doesn't get to do anything other than provide some comic relief. Otherwise top notch stuff.

The story was fairly basic but some light humour sprinkled throughout at least made it entertaining. The acting from Donnie, Sammo and the Chinese cast was fine, but I thought the Western cast's overacting was a weak point. The foreign devil story arc was cringe inducingly overdone and almost turned the movie into a cartoon. A bit of subtlety wouldn't have gone amiss there, especially as Ip Man as a character embodies modesty and subtlety in both movies. Perhaps it was done deliberately to provide a contrast?..

Anyway I thought this was better than 14 Blades and True Legend, both in terms of action and as a movie. I liked it more than Ong Bak 2 (Ip Man 2 has a coherent story, a sense of humour and an ending!) although action wise they are fairly close. Ong Bak 2 doesn't rely on wires, which I like, but the action in Ip Man 2 is so slick. This movie is worth watching just to see Donnie kicking ass to Sammo's choreography.

glad to hear that!

it will be screened tonight in Udine for the FEFF but i cant go so i have to w8 for the dvd to be rlsed.. cant wait!

Guest WuxiaFan
I hope that's a good enough review/description, and I hope I didn't spoil too much.

Asmo - no you didn't spoil anything! Thanks for your review! It would LOVE to see this on the big screen, but it will likely be on my 42" screen at home. :wink:

i've been told that it's really like Rocky 4.... not a lot of ppl enjoyed this movie here (in italy) except the donnie/sammo scene... :ooh:

VenomsFan
i've been told that it's really like Rocky 4.... not a lot of ppl enjoyed this movie here (in italy) except the donnie/sammo scene... :ooh:

you mean the idea of a chinese master of gung fu set in olden times (down to the black gi) isn't overdone yet?

you mean the idea of a chinese master of gung fu set in olden times (down to the black gi) isn't overdone yet?

dunno i havent watched the film yet so i was just asking :)

'Ip Man 2' Sold $15 Million in First Week

Wilson Yip's martial-arts blockbuster "Ip Man 2" has taken 100 million yuan (US$15 million) in its first week of release at Chinese mainland cinemas, M1905.com reports.

Over 300,000 people watched the film on its opening night on April 27, and ticket sales were close to 9 million yuan ($1.3 million). The distributor said the film also topped the box office over the 3-day May Day holiday.

However, industry observers said that with the releases of "Iron Man 2" and "How to Train Your Dragon" in the Chinese mainland, "Ip Man 2's" goal of grossing 300 million yuan is far from guaranteed.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/05/04/2482s567518.htm

mrnicejai

Yeah there's a dvd rip out now but that's the mainland China version in Mandarin. The original dialogue is in Cantonese so that would be the one to wait for. I always prefer to watch the version where the lips matched the dialogue along with the original actors voices.

tinlunlau

*spoiler alert*

The second half of the film is very similar to Rocky IV. Sammo was like Apollo Creed while Donnie Yen was like Rocky Balboa...and we all know what happened to Apollo Creed when he fought Ivan Drago...

David Rees

Just seen it and have mixed feelings.

Is it as good as the first film?...No it isnt.

Is it a good film...Of course.

The first half is by far the best with the story continuing nicely and some great fight action.

The 2nd half is like a different film and the comparisons to Rocky 4 are justified.

Its as if the director ran out of ideas half way through and saw the Rocky film and stole the story. And why do western actors in these films all have to be such muppets??

Arnt there any decent western actors in Hong Kong?...The anti western (British) tone i found a bit boring and cliche which wasnt helped by the stilted English dialog.

The Bruce Lee bit at the end was a nice touch, but i think they should end it there as the 2nd half of the film was most likely made up anyway where else can they go with the story?

I might sound a bit harsh, but its still a very good film and worth a watch, Donnie Yen and Sammo excellent as expected, good to see Lo Mang and Fong Hak On again but Fang Siu Wongs role was wasted, he doesnt fight at all.

I will buy the dvd when it gets released thats for sure.

Loved the action (a huge improvement to the original, and along with Donnie's own action directing the best stuff that has been made in Hong Kong these recent years) but they wasted yet another opportunity of fully developing most of the cast. Great performances by Donnie (has really progressed as an actor over these years, respect) and Sammo but more screen-time with everyone could've done the movie justice. Overall, good sequel.

Donnie Yen's Salary Rockets After "Ip Man 2"

Donnie Yen's salary has rocketed to 20 million Yuan ( nearly US $ 3 million) per film following his performance in "Ip Man 2", Chinafilm.com reports.

Yen's salary now exceeds that of Hong Kong superstar Andy Lau and actor Tony Leung, but trails some way behind Jackie Chan's 103 million Yuan (US$ 15 million) and Jet Li's 68 million Yuan (nearly US$ 10 million).

According to the report, investment company Polybona believes there's a good chance that Donnie Yen will take over from Jackie Chan and Jet Li as the new king of kung fu movies.

Donnie Yen was offered US $ 3 million to play the lead role in "Guan Yunchang", a movie about a great general from the historical Chinese novel "Romance of Three Kingdoms".

"With his great performances, he's box office gold and worth every penny of his $ 3 million salary. I'm very interested in working with him," said Daniel Lam, president of Universe International Holdings Limited in Hong Kong.

http://english.cri.cn/6666/2010/05/06/2482s567989.htm

I really enjoyed the movie, I would love to see more adventures (even if they delved into the fictional side as inthe Wong Fei Hung tales) of Ip Man and the WIng Chun clan.

I saw it last night at the cinema and I thought it was great, nice fighting with some drama to go with it, I have to commend Donnie Yen who gave some believable emotion to his character.. I agree that I thought it turned into Rocky a bit too much later as others have said above.. And yes surely they could have found some better Western actors, they ruin the quality of the film

daisho2004

OK I got to watch this last night at work one of my Officers had a copy of it, and I thought it was Off The Hook! But I do have to agree with David Rees review as far as the boxing match went. Did we need it? Maybe but to drag it out at the end of the movie like that, not as long. I think they could came up with a better ending. But it was still great Donnie was Awesome as were all the Actors and the action was fantastic.

Drunken Monk

I obtained this last night and I'm excited to watch it over the weekend. Actually, I have both this and "True Legend." I'm all for a good weekend, hopefully!

Archived