Ip Man 2

Milkyway

A friend just saw a pre-screening in HK & he told me it's excellent.

Do you mean that your friend saw the entire movie?

How is it possible?

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm either going to see this when it opens or next weekend with some people from my Wing Chun school. The latter would be awesome, but part of me would like to see it ASAP.

lillippa328
Too bad most people in the US haven't even heard of Ip Man but everyone knows Ong Bak and Tony Jaa.

sorry bro...around here in US we have a store called Foreign Flix that sells kung fu's....and Ip Man is waaay more popular than Ong Bak 2 in this area....only a matter of time man lol

I'm either going to see this when it opens or next weekend with some people from my Wing Chun school. The latter would be awesome, but part of me would like to see it ASAP.

Great! Pls provide good feedback to us when you will see this finally :smile:

Drunken Monk

Twitch has ten minutes of footage up. I began to watch and then realized that it was totally spoiling the film for me. for those of you that are overly eager, you can check it out here.

Twitch has ten minutes of footage up.

yes; the scenes weren't too bad. hopefully the film will be just as good as the first.

From that review:

In fact, what nuance the original had in portraying the Japanese as more than just cardboard baddies is sadly lost this time round, resulting in a stereotyped portrayal of the Whites in the film as "evil gwai-los".

The white character must say and do some ridiculous things, because I didn't really get that from the first movie. I'm looking forward to laughing at this.

Anyway, the sequel sounds like more of the same. I thought the original was good, not great. Something around 7.0/10 seems about right. Donnie versus Sammo might be better than any fight in the first, so maybe this will get bumped up half a point or so.

Guest WuxiaFan
Saw this today, I thought it was great!

Could you enlighten us a little more about the movie and seeing it on the big screen??

:yociexp91:

yeah, the dvd should be out hopefully by the end of June. it usually takes about 2 months for the dvds in HK, after opening day. I remember Ip Man opened on Dec. 18th '08, and the dvd was reelased by Universe on like Feb. 13th. so hopefully that should give us the projected timeframe for Ip Man 2! can't wait!!

Could you enlighten us a little more about the movie and seeing it on the big screen??

:yociexp91:

I don't really want to spoil it too much.

I liked this more than the first one. Donnie's character is already established and he has a lot more room to act, and to show his martial arts skills. The plot is interesting and the action is quite good (with some inventive touches, but what would you expect when you've got Sammo action directing?). The cast is solid, and a few roles are taken by prominent kung fu actors of yesteryear (namely Fung Hark On and Lo Mang). There are a few more familiar faces too.

Some parts of the plot are stereotypical proud Chinese vs "foreign devils" (that term pops up more than a few times in the subtitles) that we've seen so many times but it fit in the context of the film. There are a few unexpected twists that I won't reveal.

From what I gather (and according to my Wing Chun instructor, when I told him about it) they again stuck somewhat loosely to the historical aspects of Ip Man's life.

All in all, Donnie's (and Sammo's) acting is great, the remaining cast perform well, the action and drama are quite good. It's not a perfect martial arts film but it may very well be one of the best films I'll see this year.

Seeing it on the big screen was wonderful, the sound was loud and full of impact. The film looked good (though the subtitles that were there when people spoke English sometimes didn't match their speech, other than that the subtitles were quite good). The action looked very powerful.

I hope that's a good enough review/description, and I hope I didn't spoil too much.

Donnie's character is already established and he has a lot more room to act, and to show his martial arts skills.

One of the things I didn't like about the first movie was that a lot of the moves that were meant to impress were accomplished with wires and/or careful editing like closeups rather than pure skill. Is it better this time around in that sense?

One of the things I didn't like about the first movie was that a lot of the moves that were meant to impress were accomplished with wires and/or careful editing like closeups rather than pure skill. Is it better this time around in that sense?

From what I noticed, there were wired spots and closeups, but there didn't seem to be too many. There was one really impressive bit that had to have been wired, but it worked nonetheless.

How would you rate it compared to the other fight films that came out recently? Of the ones you've seen of course.

Archived