5. Twilight Samurai

6. Zatoichi (Takeshi Kitaro version)

7. Taboo (Takeshi Kitaro)

8. Hidden Blade

9. Samurai Rebellion

10. Sword of the Beast

11. Samurai Spy

12. Kill!

Sword of the Beast, Twilight Samurai, Samurai Rebellion, Hidden Blade, and Kill! are my favorite of the bunch, though the others are well regarded as well. Kill!, in particular, would make lighthearted Holiday entertainment.

kungpowmaster

Yeah, I've been on a Samurai kick recently. Been getting alot of the AnimEigo discs, Lone Wolf, Shogun Assassin set, Zatoichi, Hanzo, Yojimbo.... etc.

I also love classic Chiba and have most all you mentioned, except Matsutatsu Oyama Trilogy, Fighting Fist/Soul of Chiba, and I think the films in Sonny Chiba Collection have been released before and I have them already, like the other 2 double features BCI put out, Dragon Princes/Sister Street Fighter, and The Bodyguard/can't remember.

It is a shame BCI is folding, I guess I need no get their Ultraman set, I do have Vol. 1, and Robot Red Baron, and Iron King. I think BCI's mess-up was selling their items bargain prices, as they made a quality genre fan releases, but was so cheap, and non genre people won't pick this stuff, so I don't see how they could profit.

Chosen One

The Samurai Trilogy is awesome, part 2 being my favorite when he gets ambushed(well not really as he's told before).

Kill! is a great movie as it strays from the normal Samurai flick and shows why Nakadai is the best actor ever.

Samurai Spy-Samurai Rebellion-Sword of the Beast are all solid Samurai films.

Twilight Samurai and Hidden Blade are great throwbacks, Sanada gives a great performance in twilight.

Ronin Gai is a very slow moving movie but the last 15 minutes is truley a site to see.

Never seen Taboo.

Great list of movies, I'd suggest Hara Kiri and Three Outlaw Samurai if you haven't seen them yet.

kungpowmaster

Zatoichi 1-4?

I have that box set. But I was disappointed as the cases did not come with any liner notes, poster, cards, etc. I don't know if the single releases of 1-4 did, but other single releases other than 1-4 that I have bought did have these little extras in the cases. Not essential, but nice, and all the cases were frills free in the 1-4 pack box set.

How's yours?

Chosen One

Zatoichi 1-4?

I have that box set. But I was disappointed as the cases did not come with any liner notes, poster, cards, etc. I don't know if the single releases of 1-4 did, but other single releases other than 1-4 that I have bought did have these little extras in the cases. Not essential, but nice, and all the cases were frills free in the 1-4 pack box set.

How's yours?

Chosen One

no, 5-8

didn't open it yet, but i doubt they have inserts. which is fine by me, i just want them without having to pay 20+ for each

• Administrator

I bought the Zatoichi releases as they came out (originally as individual discs) and they all included at least liner notes. The posters were an excellent and unexpected (unadvertised) bonus. I've got some of them framed, and I'll rotate the posters once in a while. I don't have enough room to frame and hang them all at once.

SAMURAI REBELLION is one of my all time favorite samurai movies. You won't be disappointed.

I bought the Zatoichi releases as they came out (originally as individual discs) and they all included at least liner notes. The posters were an excellent and unexpected (unadvertised) bonus. I've got some of them framed, and I'll rotate the posters once in a while. I don't have enough room to frame and hang them all at once.

Great minds think alike BobXD I did the same thing, I've posted these a few times over the years, they were still in my photobucket:angel:

Do you remember which ones came with posters?

z.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

kungpowmaster

Those are some nice posters. I have a few, along with some cards. Which is nice, so I was a bit disappointed the box set 1-4 didn't have any extras like these.

But, the movies are top notch, and don't "need" extras.

Chosen One

kungpowmaster

Incident at Blood Pass, I just finished watching, was great! This movie was really good, I thought. The story, the characters, the suspense, it was really gripping. It wasn't a sword fest, but most of these straight up samurai films arn't. I really liked this one, but I did find the end sorta confusing, maybe I missed something... anyone else here seen this? But when Yojimbo is freed by the cop at the end, and told to say something to the girl, he kinda makes a face and walks off... well that would have been a fine "The End", but then, I see him fighting a bunch of guys, and shows one of the dead ones faces, and then he walks off and it's "The End"... Who were these guys he was fighting at the end? Was it related to the story of him wanting "Crow", was that "Crow"? I'm kinda thinking it may be, as in a sorta odd scene they showed a man that I think was "Crow", and now I am thinking maybe that dead persons face at the end was him? Well, still it was a great movie, even if that little extra scene at the end makes me a bit confused, if it was tied into the plot, or just a little view ahead of his further adventures, where he wonders off again.

Chosen One

Guest WuxiaFan
Great minds think alike BobXD I did the same thing, I've posted these a few times over the years, they were still in my photobucket:angel:

Do you remember which ones came with posters?

z.jpg

IMG_2327.jpg

Tosh,

Your posters look awesome!! All of the HVE Zatoichi DVDs come with those posters, and I love them. Someday, I hope to frame all of them. I do have Zatoichi (2003-Beat Kitano) poster framed, as that is one of my all time favorite movies. I also have an original HERO and CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON posters framed, as those are two of my all time other favorite movies.

I just got the Lone Wolf & Cub 6-disc set for my birthday, but haven't had time to watch them. I've been in the Zatoichi mood lately, and I just got the last 2 films I was missing in that series to complete my entire Zatoichi collection, including the TV series.

kungpowmaster-all of the films you listed are excellent. I also like female samurai/swordplay films, in the vain of Lady Snowblood, such as:

-Blind Woman's Curse

-Female Demon Ohyaku

-Quick Draw Okatsu

-Okatsu the Fugitive

Azumi 1 and 2 are also awesome films.

Recently got Lady Snowblood boxset, Chocolate and Tombstone (not related to topic, but a classic in the "manly" genre of Roadhouse, Last Man Standing, Conan, No Country for Old Men and Showdown in Little Tokyo!)

vengeanceofhumanlanterns

The posters that came with the single HomeVision releases of Zatoichi were the only cool thing about buying them other than the fact that Zatoichi was being released remastered. They could've done a better job with the english sub translations.

Archived