Live-action Cowboy Bebop movie confirmed

HyperDrive

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know what to expect from this, I just hop he doesn't play this role like he did in The Day The Earth Stood Still, when I saw the preview, all I was thinking is "that is all we need, another lame Matrix sequel''. Then the voice over comes on and said The Day......

I think this is going to be another film that gets screwed-up by Hollywood, just like they did with SPEED RACER, the new DRAGON BALL, STREET FIGHTER and this new STREET FIGHTER: THE LEGEND OF CHUN-LI

prometheus126
I think this is going to be another film that gets screwed-up by Hollywood, just like they did with SPEED RACER, the new DRAGON BALL, STREET FIGHTER and this new STREET FIGHTER: THE LEGEND OF CHUN-LI

now to add to that list will be the king of fighters movie :cry:

This will probably be terrible, but I like to keep an open mind. Despite his near total lack of acting skills, I've had a hard time not liking Keanu Reeves.

And I don't get what's with all the Speed Racer hate. Yeah, the script was stupid, the acting was bad, and the visuals were ridiculously over-blown, but how could it have possibly been anything else? I found it to be one of the most entertaining movies of last year. Sure it can't even compare to most of what came out, but I had a better time watching it than I did with the ever-incredible Dark Knight.

With the input of the creators of the series, I'm actually having some high praise for it. Then again, I'm not impressed with Dragonball Evolution and Akira Toriyama supposedly said he's gonna see it. So, it's 50-50 for me :)

Guest I Like Elaine

I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the movie. Though I don't necessarily have high hopes for it either. Hollywood movies based on anime almost never work IMHO.

The thing that has me with heightened expectations is that Bebop is a property that Hollywood can actually understand without dragging it down. The show itself has a very western sensibility to it, and is born out of a mash-up of Hollywood tropes in sort of a Tarantino-esque sort of way. Sure, it can be screwed up, but we really don't have to worry about it losing anything during the cultural translation.

Keanu Reeves was asked recently about the status of Cowboy Bebop and to put it mildly, the project may seem dead because the producers deemed the project too expensive. However, nothing has been written in stone.

Dark Horizons:

"I haven’t heard anything back. They turned in the script and it was very expensive. I don’t know if they’re going to…it would cost, like, half a billion dollars to make that script. So, I don’t know where it’s at right now."

Keanu and Alex Winter both seem to be talking about BILL AND TED 3 in hopeful tones a whole lot lately, so we might be safe from seeing COWBOY BEBOP brutally ruined for now. And the longer they wait, the less age-appropriate Reeves gets, and the more unlikely it all becomes.

Besides, after seeing Joesph Gordon-Levitt play what amounts to an earthbound, non-science-fiction variation on Spike Spiegel in BRICK, that's the only guy I want to see playing the part - he totally nails it. BRICK director Rian Johnson, not coincidentally, is the only director I can name offhand who I'd trust with COWBOY BEBOP. He wouldn't mess the tone up, and in the wrong hands that'd be the first thing (but not the last) to get ruined.

Actually, COWBOY BEBOP will become a live-action Netflix series with anime series director Shinchiro Watanabe hired as consultant. Sunrise, the makers of the anime version, will co-produce the series with Tomorrow Studios and Netflix. Thor: The Dark World and Thor: Ragnarok writer Christopher Yost will be scripting the pilot episode of the series.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/28/18115752/cowboy-bebop-netflix-live-action-series-announced

I started a thread on the Cowboy Bebop live action series at Netflix as casting has been announced

Archived