Simon Yuen & The Dance Of The Drunk Mantis

Guest HAZ74

Guest HAZ74

Hey,

Just saw this & thought it was a lot of fun. Does anyone think that Simon Yuen did any of his own stunts/fighting? He looks pretty old...Can anyone be so agile at his age?

h

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HAZ74

Don't know Brandy Yuen. Has he/she performed in many films? Also, I was also amazed by the woman playing Beggar So's wife. Her kicks were very impressive.

Guest Chen Zhen

yuen chun wei never really got the spotlight that his brothers did, but he was very well respected in the HK action cinema circle for being a top notch stunt double.

if u watch drunken master and snake in the eagles shadow closely, he actually doubles for Jackie a few places.

but yeah, if u cant see Simon Yuen's face directly, that was actually yuen chun wei. so basically he did the majority of sam seed's action scenes.

Guest morgoth

Simon Yuen does most of his own fighting in Sleeping Fist. Nothing spectacular, and of course not nearly as good as Hwang Jang Lee vs. Simon Yuen. That is one of my favorite fight scenes of all time.

Guest killer meteor

Simon Yuen does a lot of his own fighting in Story Of The Drunken Master, which may explain why everyone moves so slowly in that film

Guest theportlykicker

Toby Russell actually mentions in the commentary for this film that Brandy Yuen was probably the best stuntman in the whole of HK at the time, and could could perform just about any movement/stunt possible. He did nearly all of Simon Yuen's fighting in DotDM.

Guest drunkenmantis13

That's nice i was wondering who actually doubled him in all those scenes in DotDM.

Just watched Sleeping Fist for the first time last week. Great one and indeed Yuen does most of his stuff in that one which is pretty cool.

Guest Chinatown Kid

Simon Yuen was also doubled in the film Crystal Fist aka Jade Claw, considering the man's age when these movies were made it's definately understandable why he was doubled in the action scenes.

Guest Chen Zhen

simon yuen actually did quite a bit of his own fighting in Snake in the Eagles Shadow. that was probably his best performance in my opinion.

Guest morgoth

I would put Sleeping Fist as his best performance. It's not great, but he does a lot more fighting than in Snake in Eagle's Shadow.

Guest Chen Zhen

maybe so, but he does quite a bit in SITES, and the choreography was more impressive in SITES too. well in my opinion at least.

Guest morgoth

Nah, I didn't see anything special from him in Snake in Eagle's Shadow, just bits and pieces. Other than the little fight with Hwang, he really doesn't get to do much actual fighting.

butcher wing

i think he did basic hand movements but everything else stunt doubles. I enjoyed this movie

Bronx Rican

Since this was also necro'd...

I like to think the opening scene in Drunk Mantis was that much more amusing when you know Yuen Chun Wei (I'm not callin' no Chinese dude Brandy) does the doubling, because you actually see him (his face included) playing a Beggar So impostor: "I'm his nephew... I was just pretending to be him!"

Just so you guys know...that was Brandy Yuen as the fake "Sam Seed" in the beginning of DotDM.

Story Of The Drunken Master

It was depressing to watch that film in some respects. It was almost as if they were milking him to the hilt, even if it meant killing him in the process. He was clearly quite frail and on his very last legs.

I could be wrong, but I'm sure I remember hearing that the pressure of his success in DM and all the subsequent projects were contributing factors to his last days.

Omni Dragon

I watch this film the other day after not seeing it for few years.

I watch this film the other day after not seeing it for few years.

Yeah, this is truely a great film. Actually has a decent little plot on it as well...I prefer this to Drunken Master:p

Just so you guys know...that was Brandy Yuen as the fake "Sam Seed" in the beginning of DotDM.

That is pretty funny. I find it kind of distracting how much doubling was going on in the scene with him vs HJL.

I think for the most part, Brandy Yuen was his father's main double. And I found it interesting how he was the impostor Sam Seed in DOTDM taking on Corey Yuen and Hwang Jang-Lee. Plus, Brandy played the deaf henchman in Crystal Fist and I won't be surprised if he doubled his father there too.

Archived