The Ballad of Narayama (1983)

Nakadai

balladofnarayama1983av7.jpg

In a small village in a remote valley, everyone who reaches the age of 70 is banished to the top of Mt. Narayama to die, so as not to be a burden on the village and bring disgrace upon their family. Old Orin is 69, and despite being in good health, in the coming winter it will be her turn to leave. But first, there are things to do, and a score or two to settle.

From two-time Palme d'Or-winning director Shohei IMAMURA comes a powerful and unforgettable human drama, exquisitely photographed. A milestone in Japanese Cinema, this film will challenge your fundamental conception of humanity, and offer a glimpse into a world where survival overrules compassion, and the decisions of who shall live and die are born of starving necessity and animal instinct.

I just reviewed this for Infini-Tropolis, and i've got to say I thought it was excellent. Anyone else here seen it, your thoughts?

http://infini-tropolis.com/reviews/ballad_of_narayama.html

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I haven't seen it, but it's one I should. Shohei Imamura wasn't really a director I liked after watching Vengeance is Mine, but that all chanced once I saw Hogs and Warships.

There's also an earlier version of the Ballad of Narayama directed by Keisuke Kinoshita, who I consider even a better director than Imamura, so it would be intersting to see how both versions stack up against each other.

I haven't seen Kinoshita's version, but from what I understand it sticks to solely to The Ballad of Narayama story while Imamura's merges the Narayama Bushiko narrative with another of Shichirou Fukusawa's stories "Tohoku no Zunmu-tachi".

Archived